Wondering on position of GPU, top slot vs. second/bottom slot!

Ricky808

Hi guys,

so I recently upgraded my PC, got ahold of a RTX 3070 so bought a new CPU, MoBo and else.

Now the MoBo I bought is an Asus ROG Strix X-570 Gaming E and has some nice RGB on it, but the RTX 3070 is so big, when I put it in the top slot it covers one of the RGB parts of the MoBo.

Now my question is: Is that a problem? Is there a difference in perfomance, is it strongly recommended to put it in top slot or is the difference minimal?

I’d like to hear your advice on the matter guys!

Sidenote: I only play Black Ops/Warzone and occasional GTA V (without heavy mods) and I get around 180/190 FPS on medium/low settings in Cold War. Would I get higher/alot higher FPS if I put it in the top slot? 

I read some stuff about PCIe connectors but I didn’t really understand most of it!

thanks in advance!

Always put the GPU on the top slot as close as possible to the cpu.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

There should be a small performance difference in slot position I believe, but usually the top slot has the most available PCI-E lanes to run on. So I would use the top slot, it's fine that it covers the RGB. It won't be hot or something, but it just blocks the view only.