FPS and GPU issues - RX 5500M runs a game from 2000s at 120 fps :(

chensov

Hi everyone, 

First of all I hope everybody is doing well! 

Writing this post on behalf of my friend who recently came across a problem with a laptop he bought for light gaming. It was purchased in Russia, MSI Alpha (A3DDK-061RU). 

The problem is that some newer games such as Cyberpunk run at decent FPS however, counter strike 1.6 doesn’t go above ≥120 fps . CS:GO +-170 FPS.

He really likes the old classic 1.6 and expected a high fps. 

Processor - Ryzen 7 3750H
GPU RX 5500M and a built in one.

When running CS 1.6 it uses built in GPU rather than RX 5500M. Says he tried everything to his knowledge but still can’t figure it out. Maybe somebody could share some advice ?

Thank you for your time. 

search for "graphics settings" in settings.

Choose an app to set preference > browse the game exe.

click option and set it to "high performance (using RX5500)".

How to set per-app graphical performance settings in Windows 10 » OnMSFT.com

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

26 minutes ago, chensov said:

The problem is that some newer games such as Cyberpunk run at decent FPS however, counter strike 1.6 doesn’t go above ≥120 fps . CS:GO +-170 FPS.

He really likes the old classic 1.6 and expected a high fps. 

I don't play it myself, but does CS 1.6 go >120 FPS?  I'd first check what @SupaKomputa said. If that doesn't change much, have they tried all the CS framerate unlocking tricks like the console commands? Is stuff like Vsync off?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

10 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Thank you for your response, he has not tried that will update you as soon as he does. 

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

I don't play it myself, but does CS 1.6 go >120 FPS?  I'd first check what @SupaKomputa said. If that doesn't change much, have they tried all the CS framerate unlocking tricks like the console commands? Is stuff like Vsync off?

Thanks for your response...  I think so I’m pretty sure he has put all the console commands. Definitely vsync is off because I suggested that to him. The way he described it to me is that CS 1.6 uses built in GPU rather than dedicated card so I think post above might sort it. 🙂 We will see as soon as he tries it, fingers crossed it’s just that. 

Since you have Ryzen, you should also check if you have the Ryzen balanced power plan in your power options. It's the optimal setting for Ryzen processors.

37 minutes ago, FRD said:

Since you have Ryzen, you should also check if you have the Ryzen balanced power plan in your power options. It's the optimal setting for Ryzen processors.

Ok, thanks will do that also.

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

Unfortunately still nothing. From what i understand it still uses the built in GPU. He sent me this screenshot even though it’s in Russian he underlined that it is still using built in GPU if I understand correctly. Any thought ?  Thanks 

70A37875-07BF-446C-B6BF-7BBAAF80BC82.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Since it's a laptop, it's made to run on the iGPU when using Windows and other light tasks. Usually you need to enable some option to use the dedicated GPU only when running a certain application. I just know that in Nvidia Control Panel we can choose the GPU that is used per application. I'm not familiar with AMD's software, but try looking for something like that. It's not an option if you just disable the iGPU, it is usually set program specific.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:53 PM, FRD said:

Since it's a laptop, it's made to run on the iGPU when using Windows and other light tasks. Usually you need to enable some option to use the dedicated GPU only when running a certain application. I just know that in Nvidia Control Panel we can choose the GPU that is used per application. I'm not familiar with AMD's software, but try looking for something like that. It's not an option if you just disable the iGPU, it is usually set program specific.

Thank you ! Yes it seems to favour iGPU rather than dedicated graphics card.

On 2/7/2021 at 6:42 PM, chensov said:

Thank you ! Yes it seems to favour iGPU rather than dedicated graphics card.

Is it working as it should now, running on the actual GPU? If so, perhaps you could mark my answer as solution to this topic.