dpkg configure a stuck requesting for HTTP

Tried to uninstall some software through ubuntu software, came with an error of needing to manually run the command sudo dpkg --configure -a, ran it, and it gets stuck on "HTTP request sent, awaiting response...", have tried different networks, doesnt help, seems like its something to do with adobe flash based on the previous lines, is it just trying to connect to a link that doesnt exist? If so whats the best way to go about fixing this? Thanks in advance.

Setting up pepperflashplugin-nonfree (1.8.6ubuntu1) ...
--2021-01-20 12:39:16--  https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/webservices/json/?platform_type=Linux&platform_arch=x86_64&browser_dist=Chrome
Resolving get.adobe.com (get.adobe.com)... 192.147.130.63
Connecting to get.adobe.com (get.adobe.com)|192.147.130.63|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html?platform_type=Linux&platform_arch=x86_64&browser_dist=Chrome [following]
--2021-01-20 12:39:17--  https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html?platform_type=Linux&platform_arch=x86_64&browser_dist=Chrome
Resolving www.adobe.com (www.adobe.com)... 188.43.75.82, 188.43.75.104, 2a00:13c0:9fff:1::3e98:2a89, ...
Connecting to www.adobe.com (www.adobe.com)|188.43.75.82|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

R7 5800X3D | XFX Merc 6900 XT Limited Black | 32gb 3200mhz CL16

Probably related to the fact that Adobe killed Flash entirely on January 1st.

Pepperflash is a Google maintained version of Flash Player for Chrome and Chromium based browsers. Honestly you can get rid of it, no websites are using Flash these days.

Try

sudo apt purge pepperflashplugin-nonfree

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Probably related to the fact that Adobe killed Flash entirely on January 1st.

Pepperflash is a Google maintained version of Flash Player for Chrome and Chromium based browsers. Honestly you can get rid of it, no websites are using Flash these days.

Try

sudo apt purge pepperflashplugin-nonfree

Thats what i thought, however it still returns the same issue when running that command "pkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem."

As @Master Disaster said, flash is EOL. If you look at the output more closely you'll see this:

Location: https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html?platform_type=Linux&platform_arch=x86_64&browser_dist=Chrome

A HTTP Status code 302 is a redirect. So the response to the request from dpkg is a redirect to another URL. It is redirecting you to a page called "end-of-life.html". Obviously dpkg doesn't know what to do with a HTML page, but if you open that in a browser you get the message that Adobe Flash is End-of-Life, as the name already implies.

1 minute ago, ivanrcks95 said:

you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem."

Do as the message says. It should hopefully fix the unfinished update process. Then you can retry.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

As @Master Disaster said, flash is EOL. If you look at the output more closely you'll see this:

Location: https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html?platform_type=Linux&platform_arch=x86_64&browser_dist=Chrome

A HTTP Status code 302 is a redirect. So the response to the request from dpkg is a redirect to another URL. It is redirecting you to a page called "end-of-life.html". Obviously dpkg doesn't know what to do with a HTML page, but if you open that in a browser you get the message that Adobe Flash is End-of-Life, as the name already implies.

Yeah thats exactly what my suspicions were, so how would i go about fixing this? Considering i cant install or uninstall anything until this flash player thing is fixed.

Yeah thats exactly what my suspicions were, so how would i go about fixing this? Considering i cant install or uninstall anything until this flash player thing is fixed.

The error message is telling you exactly what to do:

Once you've done that you should be able to remove the package and/or additional repository from your sources.

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The error message is telling you exactly what to do:

Once you've done that you should be able to remove the package and/or additional repository from your sources.

Thats my original problem, i do that and it tries to connect to the flash player page again. The line of code i posted originally is after running the sudo dpkg --configure -a command.

3 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Thats my original problem, i do that and it tries to connect to the flash player page again

Because you have configured additional sources that include that URL. Have a look under "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/…"

There's probably a file in there (e.g. "adobe.source" or something along those lines) that contains the URL. That needs to be removed or at least commented out.

~edit: It's also possible this URL was added to /etc/apt/sources.list directly instead of a separate file under the sources.list.d directory.

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Because you have configured additional sources that include that URL. Have a look under "/etc/apt/sources.d/…"

There's probably a file in there (e.g. "adobe.source" or something along those lines) that contains the URL. That needs to be removed or at least commented out.

No such luck, dont even have a source.d folder, just sources.list.d, and all that has in it is some Opera files.

9 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

No such luck, dont even have a source.d folder, just sources.list.d, and all that has in it is some Opera files.

Yeah, that was a typo on my part, sources.list.d is correct. The URL could also be in /etc/apt/sources.list directly.

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yeah, that was a typo on my part, sources.list.d is correct. The URL could also be in /etc/apt/sources.list directly.

Yeah no adobe links at all, it is genuinely a flash player plugin issue, confirmed 100%, just how to force install/uninstall it now is the question.

5 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Yeah no adobe links at all, it is genuinely a flash player plugin issue, confirmed 100%, just how to force install/uninstall it now is the question.

Could you please do this and copy/paste the entire file here (or a pic/screenshot)

sudo nano /usr/local/var/lib/dpkg/status

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Could you please do this and copy/paste the entire file here (or a pic/screenshot)

44496449_Screenshotfrom2021-01-2013-40-24.thumb.png.d042aa7fadd1990c229bd3b0c8066d67.png

huh? If that list is empty then dpkg has nothing to process.

Could you quit nano (without saving), navigate to the directory and check if the file exists.

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

huh? If that list is empty then dpkg has nothing to process.

Could you quit nano (without saving), navigate to the directory and check if the file exists.

My directory only goes as far as lib, no dpkg folder - Ignore this, managed to find the status file, has like 30,000lines in it

Well the last option is to try and force dpkg to purge the package but this is not something you should ever really do, it can mess with dpkgs database and cause invalid references to apps you purged.

sudo dpkg -P pepperflashplugin-nonfree

or failing that

sudo dpkg -P -a (do not try this unless you have no other option)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Well the last option is to try and force dpkg to purge the package but this is not something you should ever really do, it can mess with dpkgs database and cause invalid references to apps you purged.

sudo dpkg -P pepperflashplugin-nonfree

or failing that

sudo dpkg -P -a (do not try this unless you have no other option)

Oh my god, FINALLY, yeah used the first command, can finally uninstall programs with no errors, thank you! That took way to much effort to do.

Just now, ivanrcks95 said:

Oh my god, FINALLY, yeah used the first command, can finally uninstall programs with no errors, thank you! That took way to much effort to do.

Now run the autoconfigure command again and let it complete.

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Now run the autoconfigure command again and let it complete.

For now everything is working, so im gonna install some programs i actually wanted to first, once those are done, ill run the command again haha Dont wanna risk it not working again before ive completed everything else.

For now everything is working, so im gonna install some programs i actually wanted to first, once those are done, ill run the command again haha Dont wanna risk it not working again before ive completed everything else.

No, its important you run that command before installing anything else.