Aussie fix for Twitch Buffering 5-10s? Possibly Worldwide

BOLD text is for the TL:DR types.

I went into this thinking this would not work, as if traffic re-routing is THIS bad... anyways...I was wrong,... read on.

NOTE - This "could" work for Everyone, but Aussies for sure.

(Reason being Country Specific IP's may be in place)

So I watch a lot of Local Twitchers, Aussies like icemanauz and crackafruity, amongst other more popular tubers who stream.

I sync @ 23Mbps, however watching the traffic I get from Twitch, seems I am pulling 1-3Mbps MAX, and the variable is on the lower side of that.

So I googled around, and saw a post about Twitch traffic being re-routed, and hence really slow, stops and starts your downloading of the data, causing interruptions and buffering.

I'm an Aussie, and was buffering my mates channel every 5-10s, since doing this, I'm currently STILL watching this stream all in one hit with no buffering, have been for the last 30mins!

Block this incoming connection from either your router firewall, or windows firewall

This IP range "199.9.248.0 - 199.9.255.255"

A huge difference, unwatchable to AWESOMELY watchable.

Looking at my bandwidth now,.. it's 3-7Mbps for Twitch by itself, compared to 1-3Mbps

Working on my end for sure, I thought maybe its something that someone made up as a placebo fix, but nope, it really works.

Try this for yourself.

Source of Info

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/192e4a/after_2_years_of_unwatchable_twitch_streams_i/

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/13kmvd/have_time_warner_internet_but_can_barely_stream/

Current IP's -2048 addresses = IP address range: 199.9.248.0-199.9.255.255

Twitch.TV / Justin.TV Video Servers - http://pastebin.com/8R8cePD8

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You may want to note that this will only affect Australians.

You may want to note that this will only affect Australians.

I found the fix on Reddit, and MANY other countrymen from distant lands applied this and stated it worked wonders....then I tried it.

Many times this week and previous attempts weeks ago, constant buffering every 5-10seconds.

Now it just works flawlessly, no buffering of 720p content at all, where medium or below would buffer beforehand.

Its not just for us Aussies, for everyone.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I found the fix on Reddit, and MANY other countrymen from distant lands applied this and stated it worked wonders....then I tried it.

Its not just for us Aussies, for everyone.

So to be clear, they obviously were previously routing shit from overseas when they apparently already have servers/relay proxies here anyway?

Or is it just because it allocates you to a server with less people connected to it?

edit: the reason i stated it would only work for Australians is because this has been done before with different ip ranges and they were country specific.

So to be clear, they obviously were previously routing shit from overseas when they apparently already have servers/relay proxies here anyway?

Or is it just because it allocates you to a server with less people connected to it?

edit: the reason i stated it would only work for Australians is because this has been done before with different ip ranges and they were country specific.

Yeah, re-routing seems to be the main cause of this. Apparently blocking that range of IPs disregards their shaping and acts like it should in normal usage scenarios.

While i found it works for me, I did not dig deeper as per your "country specific" IP ranges.

I'll amend my OP with that info, stating it works for Aussies for sure, but "could" work for others.

Thanks for the information as I would have looked a fool otherwise if it didn't work for non-Aussies.

Makes me want to know the one for Sweden, while i can watch some Youtube at 1080p, some twich streamers i can barely watch at LOW.. and medium can be problomatic and it often takes either lots of time or lots of refreshes until it actually starts to buffer.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Makes me want to know the one for Sweden, while i can watch some Youtube at 1080p, some twich streamers i can barely watch at LOW.. and medium can be problomatic and it often takes either lots of time or lots of refreshes until it actually starts to buffer.

If those IP ranges are NOT country specific, this may work for you.

Login to your router, block/drop packets/connections from that IP range in your Router Firewall and apply.

Restart modem/network adapter or restart PC to reset/blank all connections from your PC.

Give it a try, you can always delete the firewall additions you make afterwards.

Task manager's Network utilization watching Twitch alone, jumped from 1-3Mbps to 3-7mbps. (Could maybe go higher if the streamer uses more quality)

did nothing for me here in Sweden

actually, it made Youtube buffer super slow -.-

actually, it made Youtube buffer super slow -.-

Well you can always revert the changes you made by deleting the firewall rules you've created.

Well you can always revert the changes you made by deleting the firewall rules you've created.

yea i did

• 1 year later...

I've been having the same issue.

I live in WA, I tried to do what you recomended, but now all streams appear "offline".

Not sure what to do as even on low quality, it buffers and ends up stalling making me have to refresh the page.

Looking at my windows manger, it seems the address that it's going to is video18.sfo01.hls.ttvnw.net, when i refresh the page, it changes video10, every now and then it shows up as a value between the ranges you said. I keep blocking them as they pop up hoping something will work.

Worked out those ips, if i block either of them vids do not load at all.... I have to watch on Low to avoid buffers, this is fucking stupid.