HELP Can I put an R5 340X 2GB into a PCI-Express 2.0 X16 Slot?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The video card has a pci-e x16 edge connector, but uses only 8 pci-e lanes to communicate with the computer.

Even if you have a pci-e 2.0 x16 slot with 16 lanes actually in it, the video card can only use 8 pci-e lanes in that slot.

The video card will run in pci-e 2.0 slots, and probably also in pci-e 1.x slots, but the bandwidth will be reduced.

You get 970 MB/s on each pci-e 3.0 lane, but only 500 MB/s on each pci-e 2.0 lane.  

So this means the video card will have 8 x 500 MB/s = 4 GB/s between it and the computer, instead of around 7.5 GB/s had you used a motherboard with pci-e 3.0 slots.  In real world, the video card is so slow and old, that it won't make a difference.

So you could plug the card in a pci-e x16 slot, you could also plug it in a pci-e x8 slot if you cut the extra empty space in the edge connector (there's no contacts there, the card comes with a x16 wide edge connector simply because it's the most common and reduces confusion (people could say oh it's a pci-e x8 slot, i only have x16 slots and won't buy it)

IMHO you shouldn't have bought it, the were probably much faster video cards that consume maybe just a bt more power and you probaby could have used a molex/sata - pci-e 6 pin adapter cable to power a video card that requires a bit more power than what the slot can offer.

I have a PCI-Express X16 2.0 Slot and recently ordered an R5 340X thinking it would give me more ram and power than my Radeon HD 7650D but I am now confused on wether or not I can put it in my pc.
I ordered it because it needed no extra power consumption or extra cables. I searched up the port for the R5 340X and it says PCI-Express x8 3.0 but my motherboard has a PCI-Express x16 2.0 and I was wondering if the card is compatible.

PCI Express is backward and forward compatible, but it will be limited by the bus width and version, so you will be running it in PCI Express 2.0 at 8x mode, which might limit it's performance somewhat, but unlikely.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Can i put my old ddr 2 (ram 3gb) in my new hp laptop which have two slots one is already there and it is ddr4 ram 

Will both work in my hp laptop

17 minutes ago, TheBroyosGaming said:

I have a PCI-Express X16 2.0 Slot and recently ordered an R5 340X thinking it would give me more ram and power than my Radeon HD 7650D but I am now confused on wether or not I can put it in my pc.
I ordered it because it needed no extra power consumption or extra cables. I searched up the port for the R5 340X and it says PCI-Express x8 3.0 but my motherboard has a PCI-Express x16 2.0 and I was wondering if the card is compatible.

i mean, that gpu is basically useless for anything remotely modern, the performances of that card are comparable to an intel hd520 igpu...

And i was sure to have the absolute bottom of the barrel with my gt1030..

Just now, Farhann said:

Can i put my old ddr 2 (ram 3gb) in my new hp laptop which have two slots one is already there and it is ddr4 ram 

Will both work in my hp laptop

no, it will not. RAM is not backward compatible, and even the number and arrangement of the pins are different.

If you want to upgrade your laptop's memory, the only way is to buy a stick of ddr4 (SODIMM), that also matches the speed of the ram that's already there.

The video card has a pci-e x16 edge connector, but uses only 8 pci-e lanes to communicate with the computer.

Even if you have a pci-e 2.0 x16 slot with 16 lanes actually in it, the video card can only use 8 pci-e lanes in that slot.

The video card will run in pci-e 2.0 slots, and probably also in pci-e 1.x slots, but the bandwidth will be reduced.

You get 970 MB/s on each pci-e 3.0 lane, but only 500 MB/s on each pci-e 2.0 lane.  

So this means the video card will have 8 x 500 MB/s = 4 GB/s between it and the computer, instead of around 7.5 GB/s had you used a motherboard with pci-e 3.0 slots.  In real world, the video card is so slow and old, that it won't make a difference.

So you could plug the card in a pci-e x16 slot, you could also plug it in a pci-e x8 slot if you cut the extra empty space in the edge connector (there's no contacts there, the card comes with a x16 wide edge connector simply because it's the most common and reduces confusion (people could say oh it's a pci-e x8 slot, i only have x16 slots and won't buy it)

IMHO you shouldn't have bought it, the were probably much faster video cards that consume maybe just a bt more power and you probaby could have used a molex/sata - pci-e 6 pin adapter cable to power a video card that requires a bit more power than what the slot can offer.

@mariushmI'm 14 and don't have a job plus they are not accepting jobs anymore in my area. So I can't buy a a better GPU than the R5 340X and therefore have limited options.