GTX 670 VERY High Temperatures.

StixuYT

Hello guys, so a few weeks ago I got a second hand GTX 670, It's an EVGA Card, but I don't know why but it has a stock cooler.(See in the attached image), and I put it in my PC(specs down below), I joined a match of CSGO and I saw that I was getting around 30-40 frames, on low settings, I bumped the settings higher, and it's the same fps, I reinstalled the game, and i got around 60 fps, i knew that this card can do much more, but then, i got PC Building Simulator, and the temps were HUGE, the card would instantly go to 100 degrees celsius, this happened in lots of many games i have ex.(Fortnite, had to turn the resolution to 1280x720; An Indie Game called Start Survey; IronSight,etc) CS:GO stayed on around 70 degrees while playing. I want to change the thermal paste, but I'm not sure that this is the problem. Anybody of you know? I have a PSU that's 650W but only has one 6 pin connector, I bought a molex to 6 pin and I'm using it as the second 6pin, but it doesn't get as much power as the 6pin from the PSU(see attached image). Any Suggestions? Should I change the thermal paste for better temps?Would that work? I thought of using Arctic MX4. Is the molex to 6 pin the reason I get so low frames?

PC Specs:

CPU: i5-2500 3.3 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 670

RAM: 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel 1666MHz

PSU: A 650w one with only a 6pin connector

BOARD: Intel DQ67SW

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

12 minutes ago, StixuYT said:

Arctic MX4

new thermal paste will help a lot, and it probably needs to be cleaned

8 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

new thermal paste will help a lot, and it probably needs to be cleaned

So will the Arctic MX4 work?, I already cleaned the fan, didn't take the cooler from the die tho.

25 minutes ago, StixuYT said:

So will the Arctic MX4 work?, I already cleaned the fan, didn't take the cooler from the die tho.

MX4 should be good. It will be much better than before for sure.

3 minutes ago, LomaFin said:

MX4 should be good. It will be much better than before for sure.

Also is the performance issue made by the cause of the molex to 6pin? I tought it could be the fact that my board is the DQ67SW and it has a PCIE 2.0 x16, and the GTX 670 needs a PCIE 3.0 x16

14 minutes ago, StixuYT said:

Also is the performance issue made by the cause of the molex to 6pin? I tought it could be the fact that my board is the DQ67SW and it has a PCIE 2.0 x16, and the GTX 670 needs a PCIE 3.0 x16

The PCIE 2.0 x16 should not be a problem. PCIE 2.0 has easily enough bandwidth for GTX 670. Using molex is not preferable but shouldn't in this case be the cause of the problem. For me it looks like thermal throttling is causing the issues you are having and new thermal paste would probably help.

2 minutes ago, LomaFin said:

The PCIE 2.0 x16 should not be a problem. PCIE 2.0 has easily enough bandwidth for GTX 670. Using molex is not preferable but shouldn't in this case be the cause of the problem. For me it looks like thermal throttling is causing the issues you are having. 

So if i change the thermal paste it will get to the performance it has normally?

Just now, StixuYT said:

So if i change the thermal paste it will get to the performance it has normally?

I can't guarantee that but most likely yes. If you do plan on applying new thermal paste just be careful. Is the fan on the card working for sure? Using afterburner you could also check the fan curve.

Just now, LomaFin said:

I can't guarantee that but most likely yes. If you do plan on applying new thermal paste just be careful. Is the fan on the card working for sure? Using afterburner you could also check the fan curve.

Yeah the fan works, Also will I damage the fan if i put it to around 60-70% when playing csgo? so i don't go over 80 while playing.

1 minute ago, StixuYT said:

Yeah the fan works, Also will I damage the fan if i put it to around 60-70% when playing csgo? so i don't go over 80 while playing.

You won't damage the fan as they have been designed to work at the RPMs you can set them at. 

Just now, LomaFin said:

You won't damage the fan as they have been designed to work at the RPMs you can set them at. 

Ok, thank you! I will change the thermal paste soon. Thanks for the help!

Hello guys, a little update on the thermal paste, the mx4 was too expensive for me, it was 20 dollars, and in my currency is a lot(100 lei) and i ordered some mx2, is it good?