RTX 3090 Comparison (FE vs. Strix under water)

rarifiedbovine

Hi folks! Hopefully quick question. Money no object, yada yada, we're talking abour 3090s after all:

I have a custom loop. Do I want the Founder's Edition because then I can get the awesome new EK waterblock, and I care about aesthetics? Or do I want the Strix because of performance gains (but comparatively lamer waterblocks)? In other words, is the performance gain significant enough to warrant the compromised looks?

26 minutes ago, rarifiedbovine said:

I have a custom loop. Do I want the Founder's Edition because then I can get the awesome new EK waterblock, and I care about aesthetics? Or do I want the Strix because of performance gains (but comparatively lamer waterblocks)? In other words, is the performance gain significant enough to warrant the compromised looks?

FE + block. I'd opt for Heatkiller before EK but that's just me.

They'll end up in the same 2100MHz~ realm when overclocked. So not really worth spending god knows how much more the Strix is over the FE. If you want buckets of power to push on cold water then maybe the Strix will help, idk.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

31 minutes ago, rarifiedbovine said:

Hi folks! Hopefully quick question. Money no object, yada yada, we're talking abour 3090s after all:

Do you know how to overclock or just know how to install a waterblock? 

Because if you know how to overclock then both are the same (the only difference will be in silicon lottery where the FE would have a better chance but since its about 3090s they are all going to be more or less the same quality). 

buy the cheapest one you can find. 

27 minutes ago, papajo said:

Do you know how to overclock or just know how to install a waterblock? 

Because if you know how to overclock then both are the same (the only difference will be in silicon lottery where the FE would have a better chance but since its about 3090s they are all going to be more or less the same quality). 

buy the cheapest one you can find. 

I know how to overclock but not to factory mod in order to increase power limits. And if I understand correctly, the STRIX has a 480W limit whereas FE has 400 with no BIOS available yet that will allow it to be increased. Am I missing anything?

30 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

FE + block. I'd opt for Heatkiller before EK but that's just me.

They'll end up in the same 2100MHz~ realm when overclocked. So not really worth spending god knows how much more the Strix is over the FE. If you want buckets of power to push on cold water then maybe the Strix will help, idk.

Ooh that Heatkiller one is pretty but I hate the branding on it. Wonder if I can remove with some scouring/chemicals? It's going into a reverse case with a vertical mount so I really don't want a big upside-down "HEATKILLER" logo on there...

33 minutes ago, rarifiedbovine said:

Ooh that Heatkiller one is pretty but I hate the branding on it. Wonder if I can remove with some scouring/chemicals? It's going into a reverse case with a vertical mount so I really don't want a big upside-down "HEATKILLER" logo on there...

you could ask them if they can make one for you with the right orientation for your build. 

34 minutes ago, rarifiedbovine said:

I know how to overclock but not to factory mod in order to increase power limits. And if I understand correctly, the STRIX has a 480W limit whereas FE has 400 with no BIOS available yet that will allow it to be increased. Am I missing anything?

It doesnt matter the GPU is pushed to it's limits from the factory you have a very narrow OC window either way the difference with the strix is that you get there without the need to do OC by yourself and it comes out of the box 

36 minutes ago, papajo said:

you could ask them if they can make one for you with the right orientation for your build. 

It's more like I don't want a logo at all. Can try to get it off with chemicals...

36 minutes ago, papajo said:

It doesnt matter the GPU is pushed to it's limits from the factory you have a very narrow OC window either way the difference with the strix is that you get there without the need to do OC by yourself and it comes out of the box 

Hm. Why do you say that the power limit doesn't matter? Isn't that absolutely essential?

3 hours ago, rarifiedbovine said:

It's more like I don't want a logo at all. Can try to get it off with chemicals...

Hm. Why do you say that the power limit doesn't matter? Isn't that absolutely essential?

I just mentioned why it doesnt matter... because the GPUs are already near their limit you cant OC them much further  you will gain in most games 3 to 6 FPS  and in litterly a couple of occasions 10 FPS when you push everything to its limits (adding the extra instability risk and huge power consumption.

Let me rephrase myself assume that all 3090 were locked  allowing NO oc at all would you add a 2ndary card that promises to you +3 to +6 FPS by consuming about 100 watts more? 

If yes then be my guest 😛 

And this is the difference with a water block.... almost nothing.. 

3 hours ago, rarifiedbovine said:

Then do not get this waterblock why to hassle wityh chemicals?