Is it possible to use an NVME Drive in Freenas on a 3770K?

jrga

I have a 480gb NVME Kingston drive with a PCIe to m.2 converter taken out from my old PC and im wondering if It would be possible to use it in my FreeNAS server which is sporting a Gigabyte Z77 UP4 TH and an i7 3770K. I understand it probably wont be bootable but even to use it for caching would be nice. 

4 minutes ago, jrga said:

I have a 480gb NVME Kingston drive with a PCIe to m.2 converter taken out from my old PC and im wondering if It would be possible to use it in my FreeNAS server which is sporting a Gigabyte Z77 UP4 TH and an i7 3770K. I understand it probably wont be bootable but even to use it for caching would be nice. 

it probably would be just like any other ssd

As long as the motherboard has the port you’re good.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

As long as the motherboard has the port you’re good.

Theres no M.2 slot only the mSATA, But I have an m.2 to Pci-e adaptor, its a pretty old board around 2012

1 minute ago, jrga said:

Theres no M.2 slot only the mSATA, But I have an m.2 to Pci-e adaptor, its a pretty old board around 2012

it should but the only way to truly know is to test

2 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

it should but the only way to truly know is to test

yeah I will be testing tomorrow, just wanted to make sure I wasnt completely wasting my time before I undo all my network setup to access the server, thank you both for your advice and giving me some hope!!

1 minute ago, jrga said:

yeah I will be testing tomorrow, just wanted to make sure I wasnt completely wasting my time before I undo all my network setup to access the server, thank you both for your advice and giving me some hope!!

yup and i understand the hesitation for pulling a server off the network.

Yup, should work fine! For what it's worth my server/workstation is running westmere era xeons (x58 AKA pre sandy bridge) and it's booting from an adata SSD without a hitch