Packet Loss On Network

rpalmz46

How can I convince my isp that there is packet loss on my network? While trying to play games i randomly lag out for like 4-10 seconds and then it all the sudden catches backup and ive ran programs like ping plotter just trying to connect to www.google.com and then it has massive packet loss during that. But my isp always just says its the other companies fault so apparently google is the one with the packet loss. Its been frustrating because they kept telling me to wait for the fibre lines to be routed and now they finally are and my problem still exists. They also just continually say that no one else on the network has complained, like thats a reason not to do anything about my issue. I have got a new router tried multiple ethernet cords and WIFI and the issue always persists. It works fine for Netflix and YouTube but anything that is live like twitch or streams dont work well. I have a wireless connection live slightly outside of town and I was wondering if the issue could be a faulty dish but they always tell me based on their readings my dish is fine I am getting really aggravated as I don't know how to convince them to fix the issue or at least try. We are paying like 160$ a month for this internet since we are in Canada and I cant even use it as I would like to.

Run a tracert to wherever you get packet loss and then run “ping -t” on each address starting from your home and work your way out until you see the packet loss.

There’s no way for anyone to help you beyond that until they know if the packet loss is in your house, your local node/CO station or elsewhere.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Run a tracert to wherever you get packet loss and then run “ping -t” on each address starting from your home and work your way out until you see the packet loss.

There’s no way for anyone to help you beyond that until they know if the packet loss is in your house, your local node/CO station or elsewhere.

I can do that only thing is my ping plotter shows a hell of a lot of ip's on my network and a lot of them have packet loss some or a lot here is a screenshot of it. Gjxn4MK.png

16 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

I can do that only thing is my ping plotter shows a hell of a lot of ip's on my network and a lot of them have packet loss some or a lot here is a screenshot of it. Gjxn4MK.png

You’ll see a lot of packet loss starting from the point of the issue outwards. The issue is located at the earliest point of the loss.

I don’t really know what to do with that screenshot though, you need to post it uncropped if you want help here. 

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

You’ll see a lot of packet loss starting from the point of the issue outwards. The issue is located at the earliest point of the loss.

I don’t really know what to do with that screenshot though, you need to post it uncropped if you want help here. Pingplotter doesn’t reveal your IP address...

Sorry just posted the pl% i can post the whole thing was slightly unsure if it showed my ip although doesn't matter anyways my ip address changes every day or two with this isp. Odd thing is the packet loss comes and goes like sometimes i can run it for 10 seconds and have like 85% packet loss and then other times i run it for like 10 minutes and get none. This screenshot was just taken after a few minutes its showing packet loss on my router its a brand new router as well and this is the first time after 2 months of using ping plotter i've ever seen packet loss on router. OH65v17.png

Granted that screenshot is with me using wifi was testing it again to try it out. Going to send another with direct connection. Second screenshot with my using ethernet cable. Im8ItOJ.png

3 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Sorry just posted the pl% i can post the whole thing was slightly unsure if it showed my ip although doesn't matter anyways my ip address changes every day or two with this isp. Odd thing is the packet loss comes and goes like sometimes i can run it for 10 seconds and have like 85% packet loss and then other times i run it for like 10 minutes and get none. This screenshot was just taken after a few minutes its showing packet loss on my router its a brand new router as well and this is the first time after 2 months of using ping plotter i've ever seen packet loss on router. OH65v17.png

Well that’s the origin of the packet loss then, it’s in your house.

If you already replaced the router, I guess it’s time to replace your network adapter with something else.

Well that’s the origin of the packet loss then, it’s in your house.

If you already replaced the router, I guess it’s time to replace your network adapter with something else.

Also just recently replaced my pcs entire motherboard and stuff as well so network adapter in theory should be good.

Generally this is what it looks like after its been running for a bit so does this stand to reason it is still my router even though its not losing packets directly connected.

w5762Mh.png

6 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Also just recently replaced my pcs entire motherboard and stuff as well so network adapter in theory should be good.

Yeah I didn't see the second screenshot until after I posted. The first hop with packet loss is a Google owned IP on their network along with the hop directly before it, so that's definitively why you're having packet loss to that server. There's nothing you or your ISP can do about that one, you'd have to contact Google.

Your WiFi shouldn't have that kind of loss without serious interference, so I wonder if whatever that is is also giving you intermittent issues while gaming.

Try running that program while gaming (directly connected with ethernet) until the packet loss happens and post the results.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 11.11.50 PM.png

5 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Generally this is what it looks like after its been running for a bit so does this stand to reason it is still my router even though its not losing packets directly connected.

w5762Mh.png

Yeah that's also straight up all on Google's end. 

7 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Yeah I didn't see the second screenshot until after I posted. The first hop with packet loss is a Google owned IP on their network along with the hop directly before it, so that's definitively why you're having packet loss to that server. There's nothing you or your ISP can do about that one, you'd have to contact Google.

Your WiFi shouldn't have that kind of loss without serious interference, so I wonder if whatever that is is also giving you intermittent issues while gaming.

Try running that program while gaming (directly connected with ethernet) until the packet loss happens and post the results.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 11.11.50 PM.png

Yeah that's also straight up all on Google's end. 

Okay How long should I run it for I am playing world of warcraft at the moment and also my spotty connection seems to come and go quite a little bit randomly is really really good and then just terrible here and there.

Okay well this after like 2 or 3 minutes of running pingplotter while talking to friend in discord and playing wow at the same time. FqAoi07.png

Hmm was wondering if its possible there is a barn nearby us that has a wireless receiver from another internet company hooked up on it I don't know if its currently activated with service but could that cause interference?

12 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Okay well this after like 2 or 3 minutes of running pingplotter while talking to friend in discord and playing wow at the same time. FqAoi07.png

That’s Rogers, your ISP (or I guess technically your wireless ISP’s provider) causing loss on early hops before the traffic even enters the general internet. You’re also seeing a bit of loss from the hop before which seems to be one of your wireless provider’s switches, judging by the style of the address.

You’re not a direct Rogers customer, right?

Just now, Vitamanic said:

That’s Rogers, your ISP (or I guess technically your wireless ISP’s provider) causing loss on early hops before the traffic even enters the general internet. You’re also seeing a wee little bit of loss from the hop before which seems to be one of your wireless provider’s switches, judging by the style of the address.

You’re not a direct Rogers customer, right?

No I am going through Schneider's Computing in my town they are a local company, the provider changes a lot I have been connected with Bell before as well and something else called Nexeon Technologies or something. 

5 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

No I am going through Schneider's Computing in my town they are a local company, the provider changes a lot I have been connected with Bell before as well and something else called Nexeon Technologies or something. 

Well give your provider that 10.255.255.253 address and tell them that their equipment is dropping packets. The hop before it is fine, which is likely where your packets are being received over the air. So it doesn’t look like a wireless interference issue.

The Rogers hop could be showing as problematic as a result of all of that, it’s hard to tell.

Well give your provider that 10.255.255.253 address and tell them that their equipment is dropping packets. The hop before it is fine, which is likely where your packets are being received over the air. So it doesn’t look like a wireless interference issue.

Is it likely they will have to contact rogers to fix their equipment or is it my isps equipment that is messing up? I have mentioned to them many times about this packet loss but i guess if i give them a specific address  maybe they can fix something I just have been told many times that I am the only complaining customer they have in their network so they never want to try and help me. Should i just message them exactly what you said basically?

10 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Is it likely they will have to contact rogers to fix their equipment or is it my isps equipment that is messing up? I have mentioned to them many times about this packet loss but i guess if i give them a specific address  maybe they can fix something I just have been told many times that I am the only complaining customer they have in their network so they never want to try and help me. Should i just message them exactly what you said basically?

Yeah, do a longer session on that program and just show it to them highlighting that address. Nearly positive that's their equipment as well, but the technician you talk to should be able to confirm it.

2 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Yeah, do a longer session on that program and just show it to them highlighting that address. Nearly positive that's their equipment as well, but the technician you talk to should be able to confirm it.

Okay when i first start the program up btw the packet loss always happens first on 209.85.247.188 ip . At least when connecting to www.google.com

Well I sent them a message saying what you uncovered hopefully they dont try to dispel it as nothing wrong or whatever thanks for the assistance really appreciate it.