Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite does not POST and DRAM LED is on

ShodAchiever
Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,

Probably some incompatibility bug.

Just RMA your RAM, stating that it was incompatible with your motherboard.

Hi, First post here so I hope I am going to be clear and crisp about the problem I am facing.

System Config:

Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite Rev1 BIOS F60e

RAM: 2x8GB CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (Seated as dual channel in DDR4_1 (Channel B) and DDR4_2 (Channel A)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

PSU: Corsair CX750M 750W

So here's the problem:

I built the PC, seated the RAM modules (2x8GB) and pushed the power button to get only a black screen. All cables are all attached and I have looked over them again and again and I dont mind going through that once more ... but that is not the problem. 

The POST debugging LED gets stuck at DRAM. When I googled I found the link below but did not help me all the way: 

I had also previously tested my RAM modules in my other PC with memtest86 with no errors found. Based on Mobo support page, RAM is compatible with my CPU+Mobo combo. 

Here's the thing now, I noticed that I the PC POSTs with one particular RAM module but not the other one (call it the faulty module).

So I tested to start the machine with the faulty RAM module seated in every one of the 4 RAM slots and yes, DRAM LED lights up and PC does not POST leading one to conclusion that RAM module is faulty. Additionally the PC does start when using the other that is working RAM module.

HOWEVER, the same "faulty" RAM module was then tested with memtest86 again using my other PC (ASUS PRIME B460M-K BIOS 1403, Intel i3 10100, PSU Corsair CX650M 650W) and I could not find any errors! This is the part that I get a little confused.... so the RAM modules are compatible according to motherboard support page and it is also proven by using the one working RAM module (8GB) so the PC boots and I am even able to test play games etc etc  But the faulty modules in essence is not faulty due to test result of memtest86 as well as being able to use it without problem on my ASUS /Intel PC.. 

The PC does not POST irrespective whether I have both RAM modules seated or only the faulty one. 

My question is what am I missing? Why doesnt this "faulty" RAM module work in my PC?

Please ask if you need any more info or I have been unclear with my explanation. 

You can try slots 4 and 3 which by the manual also supports dual channel..

And just because the "faulty" stick works in another machine and not yours, does not mean the memory is bad.

Rather the memory controller doesn't seem to like that one stick for what ever unknown reason.

So my thought is for you to try the memory from the Intel machine in yours. If the issue persists on a particular slot, the board or cpu has an issue. 

That is all I can think of at this time. But you need to test another kit in your system and go from there.

Probably some incompatibility bug.

Just RMA your RAM, stating that it was incompatible with your motherboard.

elephants

And after a lot of troubleshooting, such as trying the functioning RAM module on every single RAM slot so ensure that the memory controller hasn't lost contact with the memory slot and confirming that mobo was working well, I tested the faulty RAM module on every single one of the DRAM slots and it did NOT work! Mobo DRAM LED was red at all times.

RMAing the RAM resolved the issue. So @ragnarok0273 although troubleshooting excites me but I took your advise! 

What still annoys me is that I am not sure what really was not working? Could there be failures that memtest86 does not detect? What are they?