Help with building a new PC

whitebear

Budget (including currency): £500 GBP (can go to 600 if needed)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Heavily Modded Minecraft and 1080p60 video editing in Kdenlive

Other details: Currently using Xeon E5-2650 @ 2.00GHz, 32GB ECC DDR3 1866MHz, GTX 980. I plan on carrying over the GPU and the drives to the new build.

I'm not really too sure what would be good for single threaded performance but also has the extra cores for video editing, that's the main thing I'm stuck on.

I'm also fine with buying used parts.

thanks in advance!

also, sorry if I put this in the wrong place, I'm new around here!

With that budget you should be able to afford to go for a Ryzen 5600X, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz C16, and an ATX B550 motherboard (assuming your case is ATX)

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

6 minutes ago, cm992 said:

With that budget you should be able to afford to go for a Ryzen 5600X, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz C16, and an ATX B550 motherboard (assuming your case is ATX)

I will definitely look into that. thanks for the reply!

3 minutes ago, LimesGD said:

I will definitely look into that. thanks for the reply!

How much RAM would be useful for your video editing? Not something I do so not sure how it would effect you. Also make sure motherboard is Bios upgradable without a CPU as not all B550s are ready for Zen 3 even though they can use them with the latest Bios.

10 hours ago, Chris Fortune said:

How much RAM would be useful for your video editing? Not something I do so not sure how it would effect you. Also make sure motherboard is Bios upgradable without a CPU as not all B550s are ready for Zen 3 even though they can use them with the latest Bios.

good to know, I'll definitely look for one that has a new enough BIOS. while editing videos, my system usually sits at around 28GB of RAM utilisation.

26 minutes ago, LimesGD said:

good to know, I'll definitely look for one that has a new enough BIOS. while editing videos, my system usually sits at around 28GB of RAM utilisation.

Several motherboards, whilst not already updated can allow bios update independent of having a previous gen cpu installed, Greg Salazar has a nice short piece on how this works although he doesn't specify which boards have this feature. A simple google should give you the info you need should you choose to go ahead.

5 minutes ago, Thingyman said:

What graphics card are you carrying over?

I'm gonna carry over my GTX 980.