If an asteroid was coming would you want to know?

Tehkast

Armageddon is on ITV4 wondering would you want to know if one was coming or rather just get a quick shock one day?

The assumption is that its end of the world style so knowing doesn't change the outcome but think you would wanna know?

40 minutes ago, Tehkast said:

Armageddon is on ITV4 wondering would you want to know if one was coming or rather just get a quick shock one day?

The assumption is that its end of the world style so knowing doesn't change the outcome but think you would wanna know?

Yes. Id go to the store and buy as much candy as I could. Id buy a few pizza's and other foods. Id eat like a king. At least I'll die happy 😄

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Yes.

Time to max those credit cards and party fam.

But assuming everyone else would know also credit cards and basic society would fall apart fairly quick money would be useless I think

3 hours ago, Tehkast said:

Sure. Knowing the end was 100% coming wouldn't really change my day one way or another, except that I'd go outside and watch it hit when it was time.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

yes because then i could become a cult leader to the survivors

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Yes. Id go to the store and buy as much candy as I could. Id buy a few pizza's and other foods. Id eat like a king. At least I'll die happy 😄

till you realize everyone is gonna think the same way and there wont be a pizza place to order from

I would like to know, hope I have a few days to play a little minecraft on my old old worlds, see if I could get in contact with my cousin and spend a day playing destroy all humans and/or conker's bad fur day. relive some nostalgia, apologize to people I stopped talking to, maybe just go on a walk. I'm oddly comfortable with the thought of death, after being knocked out/ passed out a few times I started realizing that there's no afterlife, no blackness, there's just literally nothing, no past, present, or future, no thought, just nothing.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

7 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

till you realize everyone is gonna think the same way and there wont be a pizza place to order from

That one super committed employee who turns up to cook pizza till the end of the world. 

3 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Yes.

Time to max those credit cards and party fam.

Then the news "it's just a prank bro!"

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Tehkast said:

That one super committed employee who turns up to cook pizza till the end of the world. 

corporate managers lol, as someone who works at a chain store, corporate managers would 100% be doing that.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Yes. Give me some time to play GTA in not so virtual reality mode 🙂

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I hope someday all the world leaders collaborate to pull an awesome prank.

And then say "haha gotcha no asteroid - all you people who committed crimes are going to jail now"

elephants

38 minutes ago, Tehkast said:

But assuming everyone else would know also credit cards and basic society would fall apart fairly quick money would be useless I think

Oh OK, thought I was alone.

Fortify my home then, y'all gonna purge.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

How much advance notice would we have? Is it like, "My fellow Earthlings, we have 8 months 15 days before this large rock hits Earth." Or is it suddenly like "Wow, there's a rock about 17 hours out... So, y'know. It was real swell. Deuces."

I recently read a short story about a similar thing. The end kinda got a way a bit, but still a fun time.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

I would totally want to know.

If it's inevitable, and guaranteed to be a complete extinction, then it would be pretty awesome to watch.

If there's that chance of survival, though, then not so much...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

16 hours ago, Tehkast said:

Yes of course. That way I could help contribute to diverting it in any way I can.

I wouldn’t choose ignorance because there’s always a chance of success. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Would love to, but it's very possible that we would only know when the asteroid hit us.

Was going to mention something, but I don't want to spoil a currently airing TV show ... 👀

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

A massive enough asteroid to cause mass extinction we will know well in advance.  

On 1/20/2021 at 6:02 PM, wkdpaul said:

Would love to, but it's very possible that we would only know when the asteroid hit us.

Was going to mention something, but I don't want to spoil a currently airing TV show ... 👀

I think we would know possibly even decades before.

And btw we have the tech to avoid it (given enough time)

No for two reasons:

1) knowing you will die would make enjoying anything very hard. I know people always think themselves as the hero and tough guys, but unless you've been in a life or death situation you have absolutely no idea how you will react. And there's a very good chance that your reaction will not be 'enjoy the remainder of your live to the fullest'. Especially if there truly is no hope and we are talking about a relatively short amount of time.

2) if you know, everyone knows. If everyone knows there will be chaos. You want to stay at home and play minecraft all day? Sure, but with what power? What do you think will happen if simply no-one shows up at the local power plant anymore. Do you think those guys will want to work so that you can enjoy your final time doing nothing? Do you think the cops will care if the crazies come out deciding to have some 'fun' with you because you slighted them at some point? Will the fire department show up when some lunatic starts burning down the neighborhood?

While I do think that people generally are good a situation like this would bring out the crazy. Societies rules would simply no longer mean anything. Just think what people would do once they realize that nothing they do will have any sort of long-time consequences? (Seeing as there will be no more long-time anything) There would be mass panic, infrastructure failure all over the place and chaos. Honestly for the majority of people it would be much better to now know and just have it end.

15 hours ago, whm1974 said:

A massive enough asteroid to cause mass extinction we will know well in advance.  

An asteroid with 22-33 times the energy of the hiroshima atomic bomb went undetected until it entered the atmosphere, therefore I disagree

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Wictorian said:

I think we would know possibly even decades before.

No, no we wouldn't.

1 hour ago, Wictorian said:

And btw we have the tech to avoid it (given enough time)

No, we don't have anything against planet killers.

Hollywood science around asteroids is all BS, people need to stop believing what they see in movies and TV shows , it's entertainment, not science.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !