Wondering how to boost my upload/download speeds.

Keanan D

I have been looking into making my upload/download speeds faster, as right now downloading games takes a while. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a Modem to get to boost my speeds for downloading games and such.

what speeds do you pay for from your ISP? Do you get those speeds when you perform a speed test?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You cant get any speeds above what your internet provider gives you. If you want faster speeds than you are paying for, you gonna have to upgrade your package.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Besides getting a better plan from your ISP you could:

• plug your PC into your router with Ethernet
  • move your PC closer to your router
  • improve your wifi strength with a better router

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

7 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

what speeds do you pay for from your ISP? Do you get those speeds when you perform a speed test?

I use spectrum, and it advertises up to 400mbps, but I only get about 9mpbs average. 

3 minutes ago, Keanan D said:

I use spectrum, and it says "no data caps" but I don't know if it is referring to something else. I get about 9mpbs average. 

In simple terms, data caps refer to the total amount of data your can download per billing cycle, not the speed at which you download it. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

In simple terms, data caps refer to the total amount of data your can download per billing cycle, not the speed at which you download it. 

Yeah, I was looking at the wrong page. It says up to 400mbps.

are you running wifi instead of hardlined? if running wifi at what frequency? wifi in itself is generally slower than a hardline. it's what it is. the average person probably can only get about 10-50mpbs wifi connections unless they've bought a new router in past year or so (most people don't think about upgrading their routers).. if it's a wifi modem, i'm unfamiliar with how to check that as I personally buy my own router and only use the wifi for my phone and tablet with everything else hard-lined to it (pc, playstation, smart-tv).

A good WiFi card and an ok router can be almost just as good as ethernet cable, but bad ones are bad. For example, before I put up. An ethernet cable to my NAS and therefore just did it to my computer too, with the PCIe Asus WiFi card I had I got 350 down of the 350 from the ISP. But at the same time I only got like 70-100. Also heard about worse before.

But to help more we have to know of you use ethernet or WiFi.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

-> Moved to Networking

Could you post Speedtest etc.? First thing would be to find out what part of your connection is the issue. Like it could be even the servers serving the game files limiting you.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Like others have said, we need to know how your computer is connected to the internet. Network cable or wifi?  

When is the last time you restarted your modem/router?

Have you called your provider?  Just went through a similar issue with my father in law and had the provider come out and he found the cable from the pole to the house was bad.  Ran a new cable and now no more calls from in-law complaining about netflix buffering. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD