Pixel 5 vs Oneplus 8 pro vs Sony Xperia 5 II

SneakyFox

Hey

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a new phone. Where I live (Denmark) the prices are like this:

Pixel 5 - 6150 DKK

8 PRO - 5000 DKK

Xperia 5 II - 4200 DKK

I'm coming from the Pixel 2 XL which I love. Great phone, great camera, great battery life. Never had any problems with it.

So my usage is like this. I take pictures, I browse social media, I message a lot, I track sports and use my phone for controlling my smart home. No gaming

What would you choose and why. 

Info added later: I use a bluetooth headset, I don't need extra storage (micros sd), I never use a case for my phone - (after 5 comments I count: 2½ votes for the Pixel, 1 for the Sony and ½ for the OnePlus ) 

Edited by SneakyFox

PC: Corsair Obsidian 750D. Asus Z77 Sabertooth. Intel Core i5 3570K. 8gb Corsair vengeance 1866mhz. Asus GTX 780 Direct CU II OC. Asus Xonar DGX 5.1. Sandisk Extreme 120gb SSD. 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB HD. Asus DVD drive. Corsair TX 650w PSU

Well, usually I'd say, go get the Pixel 5, but the price of that 8 Pro is pretty damn good.

I bought my Pixel 5 at launch so I got 150€ back for selling the Bose QC35s that game with it. At the regular price of over 600€ it doesn't seem like that great of a deal. I mean the phone is pretty fantastic, but it's just that you really gotta love the camera and the stock Android experience to make it worth it. If that's not your top priority, get the 8 Pro. You get a lot more for your money there.

Tho, does the 8 Pro feature wireless charging? Cause that can be a pretty big deal. The Pixel 5 has it.

I would go Pixel 5, as I trust Google to give large amounts of software updates. Oneplus has been good, and I would trust them as well, just not quite as much as I trust Google's software team. Sony was good back in the day, but haven't been that relevant in recent years, and I haven't really heard much about the new Xperia. 

The Pixel probably has the best camera among those, and with my experience It has exceptionally good battery life (I'm a lighter user, but I've been consistently ending the day with over 50% batter with my 4a which is basically the same phone minus a camera sensor). That being said, I would probably go with one of the 4a phones rather than the Pixel 5, as the Pixel 4a 5G is $200 cheaper US, and has basically all the same features and hardware plus a headphone jack and without wireless charging. The 4a phones are such an incredible value.

Honestly for your use case I'd go with the Sony. It may be the cheapest, but it has a pretty good camera, and most importantly, extremely good battery life; it blows the other two out of the water. It's also the only one of the three to have expandable storage and a headphone jack, if those matter to you at all. As long as you don't mind the 21:9 aspect ratio, it is an excellent buy.

The Pixel is so so. It's not terrible, it's a great all around device, however it's no longer the camera king that it once was, battery life is worse, smaller screen, lowest refresh rate. It'd be a good choice if you absolutely must have the smallest phone, but the Sony is actually narrower and only a bit taller. For the 1/3 additional price, I just don't see the value there.

The OnePlus...is kind of an entirely different beast than the other two. It's not going to have the greatest camera, it's battery life is meh, but it has the largest screen. That's really the only reason I'd consider going OnePlus.

Are those the only ones you're considering? Do you have the Samsung S20FE 5G?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red