Very weird case layout, need to find a mobo that fits!

FaZeNiick

Hey Everyone,

first time posting here so sorry if my formatting isn't the best, I got gifted from work a DELL Precision T3400. 

My idea was to paint the front completely in black, and modify the case to make it "doom" themed.

Upon opening the pc I discovered that it's completely in reverse ( second pic ), the motherboard has the i/o ports on the right and the graphics card gets mounted upside down (third pic pulled from the internet).

My question is, is there a name for this motherboard layout? 

I would like to get some recent(ish) components ( ryzen 5, 16gb ram and a 3060 ) and make it into my living room build, alternatively i thought about getting a mini-itx mobo and use a riser to slot in the card.

Let me know in what you think and if you have any other ideas!

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-24 at 6.51.57 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-24 at 6.51.57 PM (1).jpeg

TP412002.jpg

Might as well buy a new case or find a junker pc that uses a ATX layout.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

It's a BTX (flipped ATX) format.

There's no AM4 motherboard for that, that i know of.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

It's a BTX (flipped ATX) format.

There's no AM4 motherboard for that, that i know of.

Thanks for giving me a hint with the name, appreciate it!

4 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

Might as well buy a new case or find a junker pc that uses a ATX layout.

Hahahhaha I am full of junker cases and PCs like I have too many, I really like this one tho that's why I want so badly to understand if something can be done

1 minute ago, FaZeNiick said:

Hahahhaha I am full of junker cases and PCs like I have too many, I really like this one tho that's why I want so badly to understand if something can be done

Well you could try to modify it and make your own motherboard mount if you feel up to it... Some drilling/cutting would need to be done

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Just now, SignatureSigner said:

Well you could try to modify it and make your own motherboard mount if you feel up to it... Some drilling/cutting would need to be done

I already knew I need to dremel away that i/o shield so I am up for drilling and cutting.

What do you have in mind? I am very interested!

Just now, FaZeNiick said:

I already knew I need to dremel away that i/o shield so I am up for drilling and cutting.

What do you have in mind? I am very interested!

You would need to drill holes where the MOBO holes are and put standoffs in. Say goodbye to front IO. It would not be easy...

System Specs

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

34 minutes ago, FaZeNiick said:

Hey Everyone,

first time posting here so sorry if my formatting isn't the best, I got gifted from work a DELL Precision T3400. 

My idea was to paint the front completely in black, and modify the case to make it "doom" themed.

Upon opening the pc I discovered that it's completely in reverse ( second pic ), the motherboard has the i/o ports on the right and the graphics card gets mounted upside down (third pic pulled from the internet).

My question is, is there a name for this motherboard layout? 

I would like to get some recent(ish) components ( ryzen 5, 16gb ram and a 3060 ) and make it into my living room build, alternatively i thought about getting a mini-itx mobo and use a riser to slot in the card.

Let me know in what you think and if you have any other ideas!

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-24 at 6.51.57 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-24 at 6.51.57 PM (1).jpeg

TP412002.jpg

Mini-itx + riser cables

3 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Mini-itx + riser cables

I will measure up everything to make sure it will fit buy a cheap mini-itx from amazon and see how well it goes together 

7 minutes ago, FaZeNiick said:

I will measure up everything to make sure it will fit buy a cheap mini-itx from amazon and see how well it goes together 

I had the opportunity to get one of these Dell computers but the specs are not that great. So I instead got an HP Z400 which is awesome.

The computer may suck but the case is fine  

38 minutes ago, FaZeNiick said:

If you have lots of junk maybe another case would be less of a pain.  I too have lots of junk but I recently had to throw away stuff because I moved and because I was starting to feel like a hoarder which is not nice lol

10 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

I had the opportunity to get one of these Dell computers but the specs are not that great. So I instead got an HP Z400 which is awesome.

The computer may suck but the case is fine  

Well yeah the components it had inside were trash, I was only interested in the case because I love how it looks. I painted the front matte black and trust me it looks amazing.

5 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

If you have lots of junk maybe another case would be less of a pain.  I too have lots of junk but I recently had to throw away stuff because I moved and because I was starting to feel like a hoarder which is not nice lol

The thing is that I am in love with the case itself, it just looks amazing. And as far as the junk goes I am pretty lucky, I have a big house with my own laboratory downstairs also all the junk I have can be used for friends or people in general if they ask me for pc components or to build them a pc.

5 minutes ago, FaZeNiick said:

Well yeah the components it had inside were trash, I was only interested in the case because I love how it looks. I painted the front matte black and trust me it looks amazing.

You painted it ? well post photos

6 minutes ago, FaZeNiick said:

The thing is that I am in love with the case itself, it just looks amazing. And as far as the junk goes I am pretty lucky, I have a big house with my own laboratory downstairs also all the junk I have can be used for friends or people in general if they ask me for pc components or to build them a pc.

One can never have enough space lol 

52 minutes ago, FaZeNiick said:

Thanks for giving me a hint with the name, appreciate it!

BTX is an abandoned format, never took off outside of prebuild.

I've seen not a single diy mobo with this design in the last 5 years.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

You painted it ? well post photos

Here you go:

Excuses: 

1.It's my third time painting, first time painting metal ( before I did my gf's mouse in white and her controller in purple )

2.The lights in my lab are ass so sorry for the crappy quality.

The idea is to paint the power button in black with a red backlight aswell as painting the dell logo in matte black but add a demonic star in red ( using a stencil )

For the front panel ( i mean the whole upper piece of plastic ) I plan to substitue it with some metal mesh ( black ofc ) and add a fan with a red led that glows under.

I would also cut the side panel to have it with a DOOM logo.

1005074511_WhatsAppImage2021-01-19at8_59_39PM.thumb.jpeg.39fcb75589aeffcf83dc2f70e7ba7f52.jpeg483613209_WhatsAppImage2021-01-19at8_59.39PM(2).thumb.jpeg.32811103e9a1162c8b1878e737ba5300.jpeg804047444_WhatsAppImage2021-01-19at8_59.39PM(1).thumb.jpeg.1fa24a030965c4a6fe94e473711a2194.jpeg

14 minutes ago, FaZeNiick said:

Here you go:

Excuses: 

1.It's my third time painting, first time painting metal ( before I did my gf's mouse in white and her controller in purple )

2.The lights in my lab are ass so sorry for the crappy quality.

The idea is to paint the power button in black with a red backlight aswell as painting the dell logo in matte black but add a demonic star in red ( using a stencil )

For the front panel ( i mean the whole upper piece of plastic ) I plan to substitue it with some metal mesh ( black ofc ) and add a fan with a red led that glows under.

I would also cut the side panel to have it with a DOOM logo.

1005074511_WhatsAppImage2021-01-19at8_59_39PM.thumb.jpeg.39fcb75589aeffcf83dc2f70e7ba7f52.jpeg483613209_WhatsAppImage2021-01-19at8_59.39PM(2).thumb.jpeg.32811103e9a1162c8b1878e737ba5300.jpeg804047444_WhatsAppImage2021-01-19at8_59.39PM(1).thumb.jpeg.1fa24a030965c4a6fe94e473711a2194.jpeg

Nice, it looks good

29 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

One can never have enough space lol 

Ask my girlfiend.. she wanted me to get rid of half of the things

10 minutes ago, FaZeNiick said:

Ask my girlfiend.. she wanted me to get rid of half of the things

I am not surprised, I wonder how would she feel if all her makeup suddenly disappeared  lol

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

There's not much you can do here.

This is when Dell was trying to flip the ATX standard.

BTX was an Intel thing. The intent was a design that was better at alleviating heat buildup. While Dell went with the design for a while, Intel abandoned it fairly quickly. The layout never achieved any popularity. The cost of manufacturing two designs was simply more than most manufacturers were willing to bear.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.