DIY Custom loop or professional person?

Zowy1

I build new system now: 5900X with RTX 3080.

Maybe I want to install custom loop on my build.. but dont know if its good idea to install it diy..

or give it to professional person and I will pay him for the installation..

This person request 300$ for the work only..

Because this is a type of project and sometimes the fun is to do it alone .. on the other hand you want it to come out well because it's your new system and it's a bit of a risk ..

what do you think?

10 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

I build new system now: 5900X with RTX 3080.

Maybe I want to install custom loop on my build.. but dont know if its good idea to install it diy..

or give it to professional person and I will pay him for the installation..

This person request 300$ for the work only..

Because this is a type of project and sometimes the fun is to do it alone .. on the other hand you want it to come out well because it's your new system and it's a bit of a risk ..

what do you think?

What guarantee does the person provide? Make sure that this $300 covers for any potential damage they may cause, and subsequent trouble shooting. I wouldn't let anybody do the work unless they are really willing to stand by their work

As a minimum they should:

- Confirm the system works before starting the work

- Go through with you the design they intend on implementing (regardless of hard tubing/soft tubing)

- Do the installation within a specified time frame (no use if they take half a year to complete the job)

- Ensure that the system works after the installation

- Provide some form of instructions for the maintenance procedure, or better agree to a certain maintenance schedule (frequency and cost)

- Provide aftercare support.

Otherwise those $300 are wasted for a potential botched job with no support. Paying money to get a custom loop is one thing, but then it would suck if you are just left in the blue when something goes wrong or in 1 or 2 years when you need to change the coolant.

This is entirely relative to your personal competence.
Are you capable of building and testing an open loop? It's not particularly difficult, but there are people that don't have the skillset to accomplish it.
Watch some guides on setting up a loop, look for custom builds in your chassis specifically, it'll give you s jumpoff point for making a decision.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

11 minutes ago, For Science! said:

What guarantee does the person provide? Make sure that this $300 covers for any potential damage they may cause, and subsequent trouble shooting. I wouldn't let anybody do the work unless they are really willing to stand by their work

- Go through with you the design they intend on implementing (regardless of hard tubing/soft tubing)

- Do the installation within a specified time frame (no use if they take half a year to complete the job)

- Provide some form of instructions for the maintenance procedure, or better agree to a certain maintenance schedule (frequency and cost)

Otherwise those $300 are wasted for a potential botched job with no support. Paying money to get a custom loop is one thing, but then it would suck if you are just left in the blue when something goes wrong or in 1 or 2 years when you need to change the coolant.

10 minutes ago, Semper said:

Are you capable of building and testing an open loop? It's not particularly difficult, but there are people that don't have the skillset to accomplish it.
Watch some guides on setting up a loop, look for custom builds in your chassis specifically, it'll give you s jumpoff point for making a decision.

Yes he is professional guy..

But with this money I can build it alone with maybe premium components like EK.. and if he installed it.. I think I will buy bykski components or barrow (because the high cost of the work)

Because it is new system it was risky and maybe There may be liquidity..

Or wait maybe one year and after that build a custom loop?

it is worth it if I do it only for the cpu?

Just now, Zowy1 said:

Yes he is professional guy..

But with this money I can build it alone with maybe premium components like EK.. and if he installed it.. I think I will buy bykski components or barrow (because the high cost of the work)

Because it is new system it was risky and maybe There may be liquidity..

Or wait maybe one year and after that build a custom loop?

it is worth it if I do it only for the cpu?

In my opinion, a CPU-only loop does not often significantly outperform for example a 360 mm radiator AIO, so for performance it makes the least sense. GPU cooling works quite well, so if you have a loud and hot GPU, a GPU-only loop makes more sense in my (unpopular) opinion. Again, its more about the aftercare and support he is willing to provide, because if it just means that when something goes wrong or 1 year later for maitenance, you yourself will have to learn how to take apart a loop and put it back together, then you might as well learn now and then do it yourself.

So in my opinion its not about whether he can build it well or cheap for $300, is that whether you are willing to be dependent on this dude for the long term for maintenance. If not, don't do it, if yes, then you can consider it. 

11 minutes ago, For Science! said:

In my opinion, a CPU-only loop does not often significantly outperform for example a 360 mm radiator AIO, so for performance it makes the least sense. GPU cooling works quite well, so if you have a loud and hot GPU, a GPU-only loop makes more sense in my (unpopular) opinion. Again, its more about the aftercare and support he is willing to provide, because if it just means that when something goes wrong or 1 year later for maitenance, you yourself will have to learn how to take apart a loop and put it back together, then you might as well learn now and then do it yourself.

So in my opinion its not about whether he can build it well or cheap for $300, is that whether you are willing to be dependent on this dude for the long term for maintenance. If not, don't do it, if yes, then you can consider it. 

Its 300$ for the work only.. without the components (radiators.. pump..etc..)

I think it is reliable person but he say I only need to replace the water once a year..

As if on the one hand there is something in it that a project like this is better to do yourself because it is more fun .. but on the other hand it is a new system and not cheap .. and risk of liquidity..

The GPU is 3080 FTW3.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

I'd take the risk but if you've never done something like it you should assemble everything outside the case, do some test runs to make sure there are no leaks and then install it on your computer. Use soft tubing only or you'll be in for a massive headache with the hard one.

I want the hard only because the aesthetics..

Seems like a simple choice. If you aren’t the type to do it yourself and have the money to waste, pay someone. 
Id rather waste the money and do it myself. $300 goes along ways in parts. 
Not like you can break something. Put the blocks on correctly, don’t use tap water and you’ll be fine. At most get one of those fancy pressure testers. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Seems like a simple choice. If you aren’t the type to do it yourself and have the money to waste, pay someone. 
Not like you can break something. Put the blocks on correctly, don’t use tap water and you’ll be fine. At most get one of those fancy pressure testers. 

You recommend doing custom loop? or enjoy with the new build and do that after a year?

3 hours ago, Zowy1 said:

Its 300$ for the work only.. without the components (radiators.. pump..etc..)

I think it is reliable person but he say I only need to replace the water once a year..

As if on the one hand there is something in it that a project like this is better to do yourself because it is more fun .. but on the other hand it is a new system and not cheap .. and risk of liquidity..

The GPU is 3080 FTW3.

My advice: spend part of the $300 on an aircooler or liquid cooled AIO. Buy the system, assemble it as a normal air-cooled system. Play with it for a while, ask yourself whether you really want a custom liquid cooled system, and then decide whether you have the courage to do it yourself or not. That way you know your system a bit better and you might decide that you need the remiander of the $300 for something else anyway. In short, no, I wouldn't get somebody to assemble a custom loop for you.

10 minutes ago, For Science! said:

My advice: spend part of the $300 on an aircooler or liquid cooled AIO. Buy the system, assemble it as a normal air-cooled system. Play with it for a while, ask yourself whether you really want a custom liquid cooled system, and then decide whether you have the courage to do it yourself or not. That way you know your system a bit better and you might decide that you need the remiander of the $300 for something else anyway. In short, no, I wouldn't get somebody to assemble a custom loop for you.

Yeah I not received my build yet but.. I dont know if it is looks better with AIO with some OLED screen or better with custom.

But If I buy some AIO I need to replace it after some time.. maybe short time.. and need to sell that If I want custom loop.

custom loop is fine but anyway I want that my build looks good and aesthetic so..  I thought maybe give to someone who does beautiful jobs but it's pretty expensive for him..

and some people not recommend doing custom loop on new builds.. why? it is true that the only maintenance is replace the water once a year?

2 hours ago, Zowy1 said:

You recommend doing custom loop? or enjoy with the new build and do that after a year?

That’s on you. When I first made computers I didn’t do any customs loops. But I don’t own a pc today that doesn’t have a custom loop. I hate hearing fans, especially little ones on gpu’s. 

Id only wait if you plan on keeping the same hardware long term. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

That’s on you. When I first made computers I didn’t do any customs loops. But I don’t own a pc today that doesn’t have a custom loop. I hate hearing fans, especially little ones on gpu’s. 

Id only wait if you plan on keeping the same hardware long term. 

haha yes but I dont know if I do that after some time.. when the build is new that is the time built in..

new computers with good fans are silent anyway..

you do that on all the computers? if some computers are not high-end hardware it was better to upgrade the hardware and not build custom.

7 hours ago, Zowy1 said:

Yeah I not received my build yet but.. I dont know if it is looks better with AIO with some OLED screen or better with custom.

But If I buy some AIO I need to replace it after some time.. maybe short time.. and need to sell that If I want custom loop.

custom loop is fine but anyway I want that my build looks good and aesthetic so..  I thought maybe give to someone who does beautiful jobs but it's pretty expensive for him..

and some people not recommend doing custom loop on new builds.. why? it is true that the only maintenance is replace the water once a year?

Maintenance is not just about replacing the coolant, you should consider cleaning the insides of the blocks occasionally. Doing a custom loop on a new build is fine, nothing intrinsically wrong about it as long as you know the components work. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 8:56 PM, For Science! said:

On 1/19/2021 at 8:57 PM, Semper said:

On 1/19/2021 at 9:35 PM, Caroline said:

I'd take the risk but if you've never done something like it you should assemble everything outside the case, do some test runs to make sure there are no leaks and then install it on your computer. Use soft tubing only or you'll be in for a massive headache with the hard one.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:43 PM, Mick Naughty said:

On 1/20/2021 at 4:38 AM, PanagioPeren said:

Soft tube builds can also look nice if done right. 20210110_100928.thumb.jpg.4108b08fb291ffe1ab986d9abc038dd1.jpg

The warranty of the person is 1 year.

What you think?

I not have problem to try custom loop DIY but not if my system is new right now because it is expensive hardware.. maybe after a year I can maybe build it DIY.

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

nope, waste of $300 in my opinion.

Try to build custom when the build is new? I think it was risky..

Just now, Zowy1 said:

Try to build custom when the build is new? I think it was risky..

The risk is not going to change whether the components are one year old or whether they are out of the box.

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

The risk is not going to change whether the components are one year old or whether they are out of the box.

Yeah... But it was expensive build...

It is better try it for myself? This person can build for me some good build and I can save for that for years so...

maybe it is worth it..

Just now, Zowy1 said:

Yeah... But it was expensive build...

It is better try it for myself? This person can build for me some good build and I can save for that for years so...

maybe it is worth it..

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, and just want somebody to agree with your decision. Unfortunately I am not the one who can give you that. It is a waste of $300, you ought to do it yourself otherwise you will just find big trouble for yourself later. 

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, and just want somebody to agree with your decision. Unfortunately I am not the one who can give you that. It is a waste of $300, you ought to do it yourself otherwise you will just find big trouble for yourself later. 

What do you mean big trouble for later?

Custom loop worth it you think? because I have the O11 dynamic..

Just now, Zowy1 said:

What do you mean big trouble for later?

Custom loop worth it you think? because I have the O11 dynamic..

No, custom loop is not "worth it", its like a luxury car, it doesn't make sense from a financial point of view, its a status symbol, its to look at.

If you don't familiarize yourself with how to build a custom loop, you will struggle in the future with maintenance and troubleshooting the most simple tasks. I've made my point, but to me it sounds like you probably better off not getting a custom loop at all at this rate.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

No, custom loop is not "worth it", its like a luxury car, it doesn't make sense from a financial point of view, its a status symbol, its to look at.

If you don't familiarize yourself with how to build a custom loop, you will struggle in the future with maintenance and troubleshooting the most simple tasks. I've made my point, but to me it sounds like you probably better off not getting a custom loop at all at this rate.

Have a big chance that have problem in the future or when I build it?

this person told me that I only need replace the water and thats it for maintenance.

I in dilemma if got right now maybe air cooler and custom later or AIO or is... because I dont know if it match fine with the other hardware in the build for aesthetics.

Just now, Zowy1 said:

this person told me that I only need replace the water and thats it for maintenance.

This person just wants your $300 and will say whatever it take to do so. Is this soft or hard tubing? If its soft tubing, its totally not worth it. If its hard tubing, then maybe, but it better involve some serious design work.

If you are in a dilemma, just get an aircooler, you should be 120% sure you want to get into custom watercooling before you do it. If you have any doubt, just stay clear of custom liquid cooling.