XMP game crashes, no errors in Memtest.

Hey guys mystery problem here.

Is it possible for an overclocked RAM (XMP profile 3200@1,2V 18-21-21-39-74) to cause game crashes, yet no errors being detected in Memtest, nor any other stress scenario?

Just noticed AC Valhalla crashing in about 20 mins of gameplay, with XMP turned on. That's nothing out of ordinary, except I don't detect any errors with 5+ passes in Memtest, nor any other app. Tried Prime95 large FFT with no errors either.

Turning XMP off the crashes are gone, I played over couple hours running stock 2933 without a crash.

Could this be coincidence or is AC Valhalla a new standard for memory testing? Really interesting stuff 🙄 Any ideas?

What motherboard and CPU do you have? You could try upping the Voltage.

Ryzen 2700x with Gigabyte B450 Aorus M. BIOS F50 as the later are buggy.

Tried bumping to 1.22V DRAM and slightly the mem controller as well, no difference. Also it's weird this HyperX Fury claims to run at 1,2 3200 while others run typically at 1,35.

my vengeance lpx 3200 memory doesn't stably run above 2866mhz at 1.37v, it thinks it can run 3200 at 1.2v but it just can't no matter how hard it tries. with a 2700x, the Zen+ architecture usually doesn't accept stock speeds above 2933. so running at 3200 it considers overclocking, and you gotta get the voltages and timings just right 

I know my sticks need 1.35V for 3200mhz. Do you have a specific model number for these sticks because that 1.2V sounds odd?

55 minutes ago, Loki0111 said:

I know my sticks need 1.35V for 3200mhz. Do you have a specific model number for these sticks because that 1.2V sounds odd?

HX432C18FB2K2/16 HyperX 16 GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL18 Fury Black Series - long one.

On 1/19/2021 at 3:13 PM, squeegee said:

HX432C18FB2K2/16 HyperX 16 GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL18 Fury Black Series - long one.

Yup, specs say 3200mhz at 1.2V so if bumping the voltage a little does not work I'd return it.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

After more testing, Prime95 DID indeed show and error at 200K FFT, running XMP 3200-18-21-21-39@1.2V.

As Memtest massed 6 times with no errors, I assume it's a memory controller issue or something.

Now I'm running stable at 2933, 18-20-20-39, 1.2V.

Question is, is it even worth to start finding the sweet spot, or just leave it here. As it's gonna be time consuming I guess, and would the difference even be noticable?