Do they think gamers are suckers?

NickHeavy

Can Optoma's UHD30 stand in for a gaming monitor? Does 240hz refresh rate look good on a big screen?

With HDR 10, 4k and a screen that can be as big as your wall, is it worth it to check out projectors again?

Big thanks to Rob over at AVRant.com: https://lmg.gg/HW3th

Buy Optoma UHD30 True 4K UHD Gaming Projector (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Mimzm 

image.png.361ce2cf8fb60d0eccf70f6a0476c198.png

wtf how

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

*looks at RGB market*

Gamers do be suckers tho.

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

image.png.361ce2cf8fb60d0eccf70f6a0476c198.png

wtf how

image.png.b5b4678fd816efa452096a5cf44bf203.png

The good title are on Floatplane lol.

Do they think gamers are suckers?

Yes. And they're entirely correct.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

image.png.b5b4678fd816efa452096a5cf44bf203.png

The good title are on Floatplane lol.

I meant the date.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Them -gamers are suckers

GAmers- nOO whEre nOT!

Also gamers

How much RGB can I cram onto this system with a 600$ budget????

Wait.... I'm a gamer...

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I meant the date.

The good dates are on Floatplane.

I briefly had a UHD42, it was replacing a older Optoma projector i had and had a great experience with, but ended up returning it and getting a 4k TV instead,
The bright mode was excellent, its there for people who don't have rooms that can be fully darkened.

for model numbers (as they differ for Europe):
The UHD30 is equivalent to the UHD40, and has a 1.1x optical zoom (1.2:1 throw)
The UHD50 is equivalent to the UHD42, and has a 1.3x optical zoom and a optical vertical shift (1.5:1 throw).
The UHD30/50 has Mobile-HD link (MHL), whereas the 40/42 does not (for mobile phone streaming).

Two things that were not covered in the video were the very two reasons why I swapped to a TV (despite the smaller size),
Firstly, the colour reproduction is good for plain old RGB, but not as much for the blended colours between.

See the aqua blue colour in these Monitor vs Projector comparisons,

Both next to each other: (the room lights were off, all that extra light is reflected light from the projector when it was displaying a light grey test pattern)
1.JPG.20726e9ba5424b5533de41849fe23c5d.JPG

It made the sky colours in the film Weathering with You look overly dull,

Projector test pattern:

2.thumb.JPG.d2fe9b0a75294034eed775d686c190fe.JPG

Monitor test pattern (abit blurry, camera moved):

3.thumb.JPG.4388f53942c09bf02a31cecc35814e81.JPG

And secondly, the 4k is more of a blended "4k" due to the DMD shifting technique used to achieve it from a 1080p DMD. It was not able to give the same detail as a conventional DMD / LCD was able to.

Things that were 1 pixel apart are blended together.

Monitor:

5.thumb.JPG.0355a400a32b994b25e0e17ccab24034.JPG

Projector:

4.thumb.JPG.b21594393ac843c22db59c9cc1cd26cb.JPG

It really did just show a gray square for the alternating black/white single pixel line pattern

Pro's for Projector:

• Can be moved around with ease,
  • Great brightness
  • Huge projection area
  • 240hz 1080p mode is fantastic,

Downsides:

• For 70-120" screens, you can get better image quality from a similarly priced/sized TV
  • Colour reproduction
  • Soft / non sharp 4k visuals 

Overall i'd still recommend it if you have a use case where a TV just isn't large enough, or if you plan to move it around, For other situations just get a huge TV.

1 hour ago, NickHeavy said:

~SNIP~

"Projector manufacturers really need to stop making up meaningless numbers to describe their products"

yea ..kinda like how every other manufacturer of every other display type does, Its industry wide :P

Well , i say that ...but ..Monitors and TVs have got somewhat better in recent years, they still bend the truth somewhat, with claims of say 1000nits, when in fact when tested its only 850 for example, but its better than the BS 100,000:1 contrast (aka Dynamic contrast, aka utter BS).

IMO the most egregious example of BS marketing still around today with Displays is 'Response time' ..while they dont 'legally' lie, the figures are taken from a test so ridiculously 'broken' in favor of the advertisers that its totally useless for anybody who actually wants to know the 'real' spec.

2ms advertised ? ..really ? ..oh thats right its the fastest single transition out of usually more than 30, not the average, measured from 10% into a transition to 90% complete, running max overdrive, thus ignoring usually massive amounts of overshoot or the slowest part of a transition. That testing method misses out on so much data that displays with the same advertised response time can vary widely in actual performance. It means bugger all, yet soooo many people look at that spec and make purchasing decisions on it.

its a shame you guys at LTT dont yet have the capability to measure Pixel response accurately, i'd love to see you take these manufacturers to task by making a series of Vids that compare 'advertised' response time to 'real' response time.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, Bumblebeepee said:
Spoiler

I briefly had a UHD42, it was replacing a older Optoma projector i had and had a great experience with, but ended up returning it and getting a 4k TV instead,
The bright mode was excellent, its there for people who don't have rooms that can be fully darkened.

for model numbers (as they differ for Europe):
The UHD30 is equivalent to the UHD40, and has a 1.1x optical zoom (1.2:1 throw)
The UHD50 is equivalent to the UHD42, and has a 1.3x optical zoom and a optical vertical shift (1.5:1 throw).
The UHD30/50 has Mobile-HD link (MHL), whereas the 40/42 does not (for mobile phone streaming).

Two things that were not covered in the video were the very two reasons why I swapped to a TV (despite the smaller size),
Firstly, the colour reproduction is good for plain old RGB, but not as much for the blended colours between.

See the aqua blue colour in these Monitor vs Projector comparisons,

Both next to each other: (the room lights were off, all that extra light is reflected light from the projector when it was displaying a light grey test pattern)
1.JPG.20726e9ba5424b5533de41849fe23c5d.JPG

It made the sky colours in the film Weathering with You look overly dull,

Projector test pattern:

2.thumb.JPG.d2fe9b0a75294034eed775d686c190fe.JPG

Monitor test pattern (abit blurry, camera moved):

3.thumb.JPG.4388f53942c09bf02a31cecc35814e81.JPG

And secondly, the 4k is more of a blended "4k" due to the DMD shifting technique used to achieve it from a 1080p DMD. It was not able to give the same detail as a conventional DMD / LCD was able to.

Things that were 1 pixel apart are blended together.

Monitor:

5.thumb.JPG.0355a400a32b994b25e0e17ccab24034.JPG

Projector:

4.thumb.JPG.b21594393ac843c22db59c9cc1cd26cb.JPG

It really did just show a gray square for the alternating black/white single pixel line pattern

Pro's for Projector:

• Can be moved around with ease,
  • Great brightness
  • Huge projection area
  • 240hz 1080p mode is fantastic,

Downsides:

• For 70-120" screens, you can get better image quality from a similarly priced/sized TV
  • Colour reproduction
  • Soft / non sharp 4k visuals 

Overall i'd still recommend it if you have a use case where a TV just isn't large enough, or if you plan to move it around, For other situations just get a huge TV.

Dude, thanks! Perfect quick post to show someone the deficiencies in "affordable" projectors.

I work in the AV industry, this video did a really great job in explaining how does the DLP work and how do all those “enhanced 4K” pixel shifting works!

I don’t own any Optoma project, but here is my guess and suggestion:

1. For the 4K in gaming mode, they stopped the quadruples pixel shifting but still does a double pixel shifting in diagonal direction, so the picture quality is still better than 1080p, hence the refresh rate is half of 1080p

2. We never use keystone since it decreases the quality a lot and also increase input lag for gaming since it adds extra graphic processing, instead we use Lens Shifting.

But unlike 3LCD projectors, for small DLP projectors, lens shifting usually does not exists. So for those who would like to buy small DLP for the better contrast ratio, remember to plan your projection ahead: If you can reverse mount the projector on ceiling with a adjustable mount (which can adjust the tilt, levelling etc), then you won’t have the blocking issue.

1 installation tip for non lens shift projector would be: mount the projector first, then use the projected image to align your projection screen, then you would have the perfect aligned non-keystone projection. 

I'm using my 800x600 120Hz projector to watch this video. Calculated size is about 90 Inches. I use my apartment wall as a screen. I paid 3.00 USD for it.

spacer.png

Spoiler

On 1/19/2021 at 11:17 AM, NickHeavy said:

Buy Optoma UHD30 True 4K UHD Gaming Projector

Not to be nit-picky...but it's Faux-K not True 4k.  The chip itself is only using 1080p, but pixel shifting to generate a 4k image...while it might look better than 1080p, for myself it's like calling a 1080i signal true HD back in the day.

With that said, I'd rather spend money on a projector with 1080p, with lens-shifting rather than a 4k that doesn't allow keystones.  (Actually, anytime you use keystones you muddy the picture, as it's usually just compensating for the distortion in software)....actually, I would prefer a 3LCD over DLP colorwheel (I'm super sensitive to the rainbow effect)

As for the contrast ratio, instead of using contrast ratio I usually look at the Lumen output of a projector to gauge.

An example of this would be like the Epson PowerLite L510U; you can pick up a factory return one for $1500 CAD, or a brand new one for $1500USD on ebay...although the input delay might really suck (as it's usually not advertised).  The point being though, I'd rather have delayed input but a better image quality/brightness

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

• 4 weeks later...

Could you guys add a Epilepsy Warning, in videos like this one? Normally some of the videos like this one just give me a headache or migraine but this one caused a seizure.

There were several parts that bothered me and I tried looking away and listen to the video but it didn't help. I honestly zoned out as I was going into the seizure and only remember bits and pieces. I'm not inclined to re-watch the video to find the exact spots. I do know that I had to look away when they were testing the contrast and playing Doom. I should have left the room or turned it off but hindsight is 20/20.