SSD reports one drive as 4 separate physical drives when connected.

VampJoseph

My friend decided to buy an ssd off of Wish.com despite my protests about their quality. He has received this drive and from the outside it's pretty innocuous but once you plug it in, it goes from an 8tb ssd to showing 4 2tb drives in windows as if I had attached a nas with 4 drives in it. I thought it was just a partition issue so I fired up Minitool Partition Wizard Enterprise 12 and lo and behold, it says that they're all separate drives. In properties under the hardware tab there's four entries for FSPEED 2000GB USB Device. Google searches have yielded 0 helpful results.

I have no idea how to fix this for my friend beyond telling him that he wasted his money and should start buying from more reputable sites.

Curious.

If on that machine you open CMD as administrator (search start menu for cmd and click run as administrator) and run the following. What do you see?

diskpart

list disk

They still show up as 4 drives?

just ran the commands and yes. I get 8 drives. 4 of which are one ssd.

10 minutes ago, VampJoseph said:

My friend decided to buy an ssd off of Wish.com despite my protests about their quality. He has received this drive and from the outside it's pretty innocuous but once you plug it in, it goes from an 8tb ssd to showing 4 2tb drives in windows as if I had attached a nas with 4 drives in it. I thought it was just a partition issue so I fired up Minitool Partition Wizard Enterprise 12 and lo and behold, it says that they're all separate drives. In properties under the hardware tab there's four entries for FSPEED 2000GB USB Device. Google searches have yielded 0 helpful results.

I have no idea how to fix this for my friend beyond telling him that he wasted his money and should start buying from more reputable sites.

In Windows open up Disk Management, take a screenshot and post it please.

I'm also curious to see this.

If I had to guess here I'd say things are worse than you imagine. Given that 8TB SSDs are going for £800 I suspect you've probably been sold a 64/128GB SSD that's had its firmware adjusted to report an incorrect value.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well yeah.. Please post what disaster said or even just the diskpart result.

Well... what you still can do to make them into one volume is to extend them. I would also be curious to see if it was possible to RAID that lol.

9 minutes ago, VampJoseph said:

Oh I know what is happening here. It's gonna have a usb hub inside and have multiple fake flashdrives. That or it's just a bunch of fake flashchips reporting the wrong capacity. Really it's easy to figure out just get one of those programs that writes a disk full with data and that should fail after 16gb most of the time.

This is the screenshot of Disk Partition. The exFAT drives are the janky drive.

https://imgur.com/a/S5sakZc

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh I know what is happening here. It's gonna have a usb hub inside and have multiple fake flashdrives. That or it's just a bunch of fake flashchips reporting the wrong capacity. Really it's easy to figure out just get one of those programs that writes a disk full with data and that should fail after 16gb most of the time.

I figured that was what it was but I just wanted to be sure before I did something irrevocable to the drive.

Edited by VampJoseph
additional information

43 minutes ago, VampJoseph said:

This is the screenshot of Disk Partition. The exFAT drives are the janky drive.

https://imgur.com/a/S5sakZc

I figured that was what it was but I just wanted to be sure before I did something irrevocable to the drive.

Just tell wish yo it's fake and money back