GPU whine/buzzing after using MSI Afterburner

Hi all,

So after I built my new rig I decided to try out overclocking for the first time. Looked it up and read a couple guides about overclocking an FE RTX 3080. Downloaded MSI Afterburner and decided to start out with the auto OC just to see what it came out with. Produced a fairly decent curve, but nothing fantastic. GPUZ rated it at +52 Mhz on clock and boost. It also did +200Mhz on memory clock.
Since doing so I've been getting a high pitched buzzing coming from the rear underside fan (managed to pinpoint the sound by lying down next to the PC). This sound only kicks in when running anything GPU intensive like a game, so it seems to correspond with an increase in percentage TDP and increase in clock speed.
It's becoming quite annoying as I know it didn't make that sound before. And it still makes this sound when no overclock profile is activated (base clock, base memory, +0, none of the sliders changed). It also makes the sound when 'Unlock voltage control' is turned off too.

I'm not sure what to do, or what could have caused it. I can't find any reference to the same issue online. Only similar ones, such as coil whine (which is what I assume the sound is from looking online) when an overclock profile is activated or coil whine when power limit has been increased.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

PS. MSI Afterburner also likes to choose the OC profile (profile 2 on my system) every time I reboot, even thought I've selected the stock profile and applied it and locked the profiles. Any help on this would be nice too. Thanks

SPECS:

i9-10850K @ 3.6Ghz

32GB (2x16GB) @ 3200Mhz

RTX 3080 Founders Edition

Corsair 750RMx PSU

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB (Windows drive)

@ragnarok0273I'd thought so, but why should it start after using MSI afterburner. I've had the GPU a month and it hasn't done it before

25 minutes ago, Jack_Wills11 said:

@ragnarok0273I'd thought so, but why should it start after using MSI afterburner. I've had the GPU a month and it hasn't done it before

After the overclock, the VRMs were probably working harder.

elephants

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

After the overclock, the VRMs were probably working harder.

But I have no overclock applied right now, and I didn't change voltage control. Can it still cause a permanent change?

15 minutes ago, Jack_Wills11 said:

But I have no overclock applied right now, and I didn't change voltage control. Can it still cause a permanent change?

Don't know then.

elephants

7 hours ago, Jack_Wills11 said:

PS. MSI Afterburner also likes to choose the OC profile (profile 2 on my system) every time I reboot, even thought I've selected the stock profile and applied it and locked the profiles. Any help on this would be nice too. Thanks

Unlock the profiles, select and apply the desired default profile, then toggle the "Apply profile at start up" button off and on again, the re-lock profiles.

That seems to do the trick for me.

Regarding coil whine, some develop it over time. MAYBE when you overclocked you accelerated that time table for your card by stressing the VRMs and whatnot a little more, but that doesn't mean you did any damage. You applying an overclock could also be totally coincidental to the coil whine starting.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

27 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Unlock the profiles, select and apply the desired default profile, then toggle the "Apply profile at start up" button off and on again, the re-lock profiles.

That seems to do the trick for me.

Regarding coil whine, some develop it over time. MAYBE when you overclocked you accelerated that time table for your card by stressing the VRMs and whatnot a little more, but that doesn't mean you did any damage. You applying an overclock could also be totally coincidental to the coil whine starting.

I can't find the setting you mentioned. Where is it? EDIT: Found the setting, no worries

And yes that sounds plausible for the coil whine. Oh well, nevermind. The PC sits under my desk so it's hardly noticeable when playing games out of speakers. 

1 minute ago, Jack_Wills11 said:

I can't find the setting you mentioned. Where is it?

And yes that sounds plausible for the coil whine. Oh well, nevermind. The PC sits under my desk so it's hardly noticeable when playing games out of speakers. 

It might not be visible on all skin options for AB, but here's where it is on the one I'm using. Only becomes selectable when the "Profiles" are unlocked.

image.png.b62c4e048e709257320d379b7eb81d6b.png

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Just now, RAS_3885 said:

It might not be visible on all skin options for AB, but here's where it is on the one I'm using. Only becomes selectable when the "Profiles" are unlocked.

image.png.b62c4e048e709257320d379b7eb81d6b.png

Thanks, I've found it now. On my skin it was hidden in a small windows logo at the top.