Is the ROG Zephyrus G14 still a good choice?

So I was looking for a laptop under $1000 to be used mostly on the go, either at a restaurant or when I travel. I didn't want crazy specs in terms of power since I'd be using mostly for programming, light gaming, and light video editing. However I saw the Asus ROG Zephyrus at $1250, and that's the version with the Ryzen 9, 16GB of RAM, a 2060 max-q, and a 1TB SSD. So with these specs I'm okay with spending more.

However I'm seeing that a refreshed version is coming with the new gen Ryzen 9 and the 3060. The battery is the same but the screen has been upgraded from 1080p to 1440p. So these upgrades are actually kind of a problem for me but I'm not sure if I'm correct. I don't need a 1440p resolution on 14" panel, and since I'm using it on the go, I care more about battery life. I know it's a little vague, but can I expect the battery life to be worse with the more powerful components and higher resolution, considering that the battery capacity is the same? Also, can I expect the price to drop even lower when the new version is out?

And finally, I think it's very stupid to not include a webcam at this price point, especially now that many people work from home. That's a terrible reasoning from Asus but I'm used to this with this company (and Acer). What's the best way to address this issue? I was considering just using my phone for meetings when I'm on the go, and switch to the computer when I need to share my screen... If you have laptop alternatives in this price range with similar specs, let me know.

it would be my goto laptop if i had to get one 

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

If you care about battery life, don't get a gaming laptop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

53 minutes ago, DriftMan said:

What about those MSI i7-10710U with GTX 1650 inside? A 6c/12t for low power consumption and a GTX 1650 for light gaming, a good combination for travelling

Or just get something like the Ryzen 4800H with integrated graphics like

(there are different brands selling it, Eluktronics too, it's really nice and I've bought one if it wasn't almost 1500€ after taxes in my country due to supply and import)

I want a discrete GPU. A 1650 would be fine but the MSI creator series are on the heavy side and aren't particularly affordable. The Zephyrus is a better bang for the bang despite the flaws I mentioned.

59 minutes ago, Ninjii said:

I heard air flow design in the rog's is bad? not enough ventilation on the bottom?

Do you have a link or something? All reviewers say that the temperatures are good though.

16 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Do you have a link or something? All reviewers say that the temperatures are good though.

I have Asus Rog, from the same generation, believe me, the temps are atrocious. I mean sure g14 is no the same, but reviewers, mostly said that asus rog strix has good temps too, they lied, and now I am stuck with a laptop that burns hotter than the sun.

16 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I mean it has decent temps for a gaming laptop 85-95C, at least, it doesn't thermal throttle. 

2 hours ago, DemiGod said:

I have Asus Rog, from the same generation, believe me, the temps are atrocious. I mean sure g14 is no the same, but reviewers, mostly said that asus rog strix has good temps too, they lied, and now I am stuck with a laptop that burns hotter than the sun.

What model do you have?

3 hours ago, Ninjii said:

That's interesting. I know for a fact that Asus tends to have quality-control issues of this kind