Online robotics competition Discord setup help :)

jomell310
Go to solution Solved by jomell310,

Hi!

I'm the founder and organizer of a small open-software/open-hardware robotics competition in Catalonia called RoboCAT. This year due to the pandemic we have to do the event online. I was thinking of using discord and setup some channels as the "fields" so when a team has to compete joins that channel, opens their camera and we can see how the robot performs this way a referee can speak to just one participant and not all the teams competing at one time. The problem comes on how to get for example four camera feeds for the "fields" and two for the speakers into OBS to then stream to Twitch and Youtube. Hope I'm explaining the setup properly.

LTT made a similar-ish stream with the TechSupportChallenge but I have no idea how they did it.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Edit: We've solved it. We open 4 different google chrome sessions from different users and then connect to 4 different discord accounts to act as cameras, that way from OBS we can capture 4 games at once while keeping each team in a different "arena"

Hi!

I'm the founder and organizer of a small open-software/open-hardware robotics competition in Catalonia called RoboCAT. This year due to the pandemic we have to do the event online. I was thinking of using discord and setup some channels as the "fields" so when a team has to compete joins that channel, opens their camera and we can see how the robot performs this way a referee can speak to just one participant and not all the teams competing at one time. The problem comes on how to get for example four camera feeds for the "fields" and two for the speakers into OBS to then stream to Twitch and Youtube. Hope I'm explaining the setup properly.

LTT made a similar-ish stream with the TechSupportChallenge but I have no idea how they did it.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Edit: We've solved it. We open 4 different google chrome sessions from different users and then connect to 4 different discord accounts to act as cameras, that way from OBS we can capture 4 games at once while keeping each team in a different "arena"

I recently helped conduct an online virtual competition which involved members of teams presenting.

Zoom was used and basically there was one "admin computer" which I controlled. 

I joined the zoom meeting and then turned off cameras if needed. Though most of the times, the participant was corporative and on/off their cameras at appropriate times. 

Then using OBS to capture desktop audio in addition to screen recording and outputted the feed into Restream. Restream handles the live streaming to multiple platforms, something that OBS does not natively support. 

5 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

I recently helped conduct an online virtual competition which involved members of teams presenting.

Zoom was used and basically there was one "admin computer" which I controlled. 

I joined the zoom meeting and then turned off cameras if needed. Though most of the times, the participant was corporative and on/off their cameras at appropriate times. 

Then using OBS to capture desktop audio in addition to screen recording and outputted the feed into Restream. Restream handles the live streaming to multiple platforms, something that OBS does not natively support. 

Thanks @bindydad123 I like that approach although it wouldn't allow the referee to still be connected to the team and just speak to them, everyone would have to listen to that conversation and maybe we have other teams competing at the same time waiting to hear their referee. Using zoom that way would limit me to just one match at a time.

Maybe another way a bit more complex would be to use discord for the talking and zoom for the video and when the referee has to do the counting they can move to a breakout Room.