Fan with it's own power supply.

Morrie Sells Wigs
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,
53 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I only have a 500w PSU and I'm not sure if getting a 4 pin splitter and using that to plug another fan directly into the motherboard is a good idea as I already have one more fan plugged in than came with the computer. 

A fan draws almost nothing so if that caused a problem your PC woudld already crash all the time. 

Hi, people, so I am considering getting a fan which has it's own battery attached, so I can place it in my case without having to plug it into the motherboard. 

I only have a 500w PSU and I'm not sure if getting a 4 pin splitter and using that to plug another fan directly into the motherboard is a good idea as I already have one more fan plugged in than came with the computer. 

I figured it would be "safer" to just buy one that has its own little battery attached.

There is space to lay it next to it in the bottom of the case.

So, would anyone see any issues with such a thing, and if not, can anyone recommend a good pc fan that has the aforementioned power supply?

Thanks, in advance.

4 fans per motherboard header is considered the max, personally I would get a hub or try 4 fans on the header before getting a fan powered by its own source.  Or even a fan that can be powered from molex or sata

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

16 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I'm not sure if getting a 4 pin splitter and using that to plug another fan directly into the motherboard is a good idea as I already have one more fan plugged in than came with the computer

I cannot understand what you're trying to say here.

Also getting a fan with its own battery won't last very long.

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

Or even a fan that can be powered from molex or sata

I was just going to say that.

Yes, try getting fans that connect to molex or sata directly from the PSU.

Give us your PC specs first. Remember to always include it at the top 😄

Fans are not power hungry, each fan probably only use a couple of watts.

As other said, get a fan with molex attachment.

battery powered fans probably only last for 1 hour max, not worth it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

53 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

A fan draws almost nothing so if that caused a problem your PC woudld already crash all the time. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

I cannot understand what you're trying to say here.

Also getting a fan with its own battery won't last very long.

I have a fan plugged in, it is taking up the only spare port, therefore, I'll need a splitter to plug into the port which will then enable me to plug an extra fan in.

Do you know what a splitter is?

Which part exactly confused you?

55 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

So, you reckon just get a splitter and it'll be fine?

I'd read some stuff that said having two fans running off the same port, via a splitter, can be an issue.

Would you say that's highly unlikely, given how little power they actually draw?

Yep.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

I was just going to say that.

Yes, try getting fans that connect to molex or sata directly from the PSU.

Give us your PC specs first. Remember to always include it at the top 😄

I hadn't considered that, thanks.

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

4 fans per motherboard header is considered the max, personally I would get a hub or try 4 fans on the header before getting a fan powered by its own source.  Or even a fan that can be powered from molex or sata

I think that's a better option, appreciate it.

To be clear, I had seen some fans which had small batteries attached - batteries which could be charged overnight and which would allow the fan to run independent of the motherboard/psu - and these seemed a viable alternative to the option of running two fans off a splitter into the same port on the motherboard (something that I've seen have a mixed reaction when discussed).

I apologise if I didn't make that part clear, I get why it may have been confusing. 

Thanks for trying to help though, guys.