PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA random freezes 0x00000050

nikica

Dear community. About 6 months ago I have bought the following PC configuration:

Asus Prime Z490-P MBO
Intel Core i5-10600 CPU - On Asus QVL list
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16 GB kit(2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz PC4-28800 CL18, 1.2V / 1.35V, CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 - NOT on Asus QVL list
Samsung 970EVO NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB - System Drive
SSD Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - Data Drive
Corsair 650W PSU - RM650 Fully modular
MSI Armor RX570 graphic card

Since I have bought my new PC configuration back in July 2020 I had at least 30 random BUGCHECK errors where Windows froze and have restarted after a couple of seconds. This freezes were happening randomly, but in 90% of the cases during World of Tanks gaming and not in game, but during entering or exiting the battle. I assume that during that time (loading map and loading garage) there's larger memory activity.

I have flashed BIOS 5 times since I've bought the board and still receive the same bug checks. The problem can happen two times in a couple of days, or even after a month, depends if I am playing the game. Please have in mind that my system is online at least 12 hours per day and I'm using the sleep feature instead of shutting down the machine.

I also had couple of freezes that stuck and I had to use the reset button to reset the system. These freezes went without a crash dump and once I've checked the event viewer I've seen this error:
WHEA-Logger: A fatal hardware error has occurred. I wasn't able to find detailed information about this event.

I am also using the XMP profile set in BIOS in order to reach advertised memory speed of 3600MHz.

I am using the latest available chipset drivers and BIOS from the Asus website.

I have also contacted ASUS and Corsair support where Asus pointed me to use the memory kit from the QVL list in order to get help while Corsair support said I should test both memory sticks individually with Memtest.

After the first bug check, I have tested both sticks with 4 passes (default-test) with the XMP profile set in BIOS TWICE (about 8 hours in total). Both test went without a single error.

Is it possible to run 2x 4 Memtest passes without errors and still have the faulty RAM? Should I test them individually, even though if Memtest passed with both stick I seriously doubt that individual testing will show errors?

Just to mention I am working in the IT industry and I am always using Asus MBO, Corsair memory, Corsair PSU, and Intel CPU's for my PC configurations and I firmly stick to this combo.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 twice v2004 and now have upgraded to v20H2, still the same issues.

I have performed fresh installation of Windows 10 v20H2 twice using the latest drivers from AMD web site, still have the same issues. I have also tried to use older AMD drivers, no luck.

I have tried to use another graphic card in my system RX550 that doesn’t require external power, but charges itself through the PCIE port. Still had freezes. With this in mind I think we can safely say that the problem should not be with the Corsair PSU RX650 or?

In order to reproduce this freezes faster I have used OCCT stress test and here's what I have done so far:

OCCT stress test 30m – Full system with RX570 GPU and XMP profile ON – Freeze and restart in less that 30 minutes (5 tries)

OCCT stress test 30m – Full system with RX550 GPU and XMP profile ON – Freeze and restart in less than 30 minutes (5 tries)

OCCT stress test 30m – Full system without any graphic card installed and XMP profile ON – No freezes in 30 minutes (3 tries)

OCCT stress test 30m – Full system with RX570 GPU and XMP profile OFF – No freezes in 30 minutes (3 tries)

95% of the time the error points to this error:

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\minidump\122020-5375-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF8075A726327)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFAE008B223122, 0x2, 0xFFFFF8075A726327, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys .
Google query: atikmdag.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The fact is if I lower the memory speed to 2133MHz with 1.2V and disable the XMP profile everything is working perfectly.

Dumps have been analyzed on the following links (it's safe to run the fiddle):

JSFiddle

JSFiddle

JSFiddle

I would kindly ask you for help and advice and if you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

35 minutes ago, nikica said:

Dear community. About 6 months ago I have bought the following PC configuration:

Asus Prime Z490-P MBO
Intel Core i5-10600 CPU - On Asus QVL list
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16 GB kit(2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz PC4-28800 CL18, 1.2V / 1.35V, CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 - NOT on Asus QVL list
Samsung 970EVO NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB - System Drive
SSD Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - Data Drive
Corsair 650W PSU - RM650 Fully modular
MSI Armor RX570 graphic card

Since I have bought my new PC configuration back in July 2020 I had at least 30 random BUGCHECK errors where Windows froze and have restarted after a couple of seconds. This freezes were happening randomly, but in 90% of the cases during World of Tanks gaming and not in game, but during entering or exiting the battle. I assume that during that time (loading map and loading garage) there's larger memory activity.

I have flashed BIOS 5 times since I've bought the board and still receive the same bug checks. The problem can happen two times in a couple of days, or even after a month, depends if I am playing the game. Please have in mind that my system is online at least 12 hours per day and I'm using the sleep feature instead of shutting down the machine.

I also had couple of freezes that stuck and I had to use the reset button to reset the system. These freezes went without a crash dump and once I've checked the event viewer I've seen this error:
WHEA-Logger: A fatal hardware error has occurred. I wasn't able to find detailed information about this event.

I am also using the XMP profile set in BIOS in order to reach advertised memory speed of 3600MHz.

I am using the latest available chipset drivers and BIOS from the Asus website.

I have also contacted ASUS and Corsair support where Asus pointed me to use the memory kit from the QVL list in order to get help while Corsair support said I should test both memory sticks individually with Memtest.

After the first bug check, I have tested both sticks with 4 passes (default-test) with the XMP profile set in BIOS TWICE (about 8 hours in total). Both test went without a single error.

Is it possible to run 2x 4 Memtest passes without errors and still have the faulty RAM? Should I test them individually, even though if Memtest passed with both stick I seriously doubt that individual testing will show errors?

Just to mention I am working in the IT industry and I am always using Asus MBO, Corsair memory, Corsair PSU, and Intel CPU's for my PC configurations and I firmly stick to this combo.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 twice v2004 and now have upgraded to v20H2, still the same issues.

I have performed fresh installation of Windows 10 v20H2 twice using the latest drivers from AMD web site, still have the same issues. I have also tried to use older AMD drivers, no luck.

I have tried to use another graphic card in my system RX550 that doesn’t require external power, but charges itself through the PCIE port. Still had freezes. With this in mind I think we can safely say that the problem should not be with the Corsair PSU RX650 or?

In order to reproduce this freezes faster I have used OCCT stress test and here's what I have done so far:

OCCT stress test 30m – Full system with RX570 GPU and XMP profile ON – Freeze and restart in less that 30 minutes (5 tries)

OCCT stress test 30m – Full system with RX550 GPU and XMP profile ON – Freeze and restart in less than 30 minutes (5 tries)

OCCT stress test 30m – Full system without any graphic card installed and XMP profile ON – No freezes in 30 minutes (3 tries)

OCCT stress test 30m – Full system with RX570 GPU and XMP profile OFF – No freezes in 30 minutes (3 tries)

95% of the time the error points to this error:

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\minidump\122020-5375-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF8075A726327)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFAE008B223122, 0x2, 0xFFFFF8075A726327, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys .
Google query: atikmdag.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The fact is if I lower the memory speed to 2133MHz with 1.2V and disable the XMP profile everything is working perfectly.

Dumps have been analyzed on the following links (it's safe to run the fiddle):

JSFiddle

JSFiddle

JSFiddle

I would kindly ask you for help and advice and if you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

You have a few things going on here and im a bit confused myself. Most of those dumps point to the ati driver your using for your graphics but at the same time its on about memory corruption. Also that whea error you got. Thats normally cpu. So im a bit confused as to which it is thats causing the problems.

Try updating the gfx driver or downgrading it if you already have the most recent. Also disable xmp for a while. See if it still crashes like that.

hey Digideath,

thanks for your reply. I have already explained everything in my first post 🙂

This shows that the system remains stable without any GPU and driver installed in the system and also with a Graphic card/drivers installed, but with XMP profile OFF. In these two cases I had full stability of the system.

WHEA logger happened only twice in 6 months and I presume it can also be related to hardware issues like the memory, not just CPU.

According to discussion with Corsair support here's what they think:

I believe this is an issue where XMP is causing stability issues due to bad graphics drivers.  I had the same issue, but with a 5700XT so I returned the video card and went NVIDIA because my system would hard lock, and even holding down the power button would not shut off the system.

I would recommend writing down all the XMP settings the profile changes and creating your own OC profile and just lowering the frequency by 50MHz until it is stable (keep everything else the same).

Thanks!

I do not think it a problem with your computer or OS but with the game, It most likely be three I can think.of that may cause the problem. 

1: Pointer null error

2. A pointer is referenced outside memory allocation to the game from the OS. 

3. A stack overflow error. 

You should report this bug to the game developers so there are able to looking to this and may fix it. I cannot fully rule out the OS. If you not getting it in any other app, this mostly likely does the game. 

1 hour ago, A51UK said:

I do not think it a problem with your computer or OS but with the game, It most likely be three I can think.of that may cause the problem. 

1: Pointer null error

2. A pointer is referenced outside memory allocation to the game from the OS. 

3. A stack overflow error. 

You should report this bug to the game developers so there are able to looking to this and may fix it. I cannot fully rule out the OS. If you not getting it in any other app, this mostly likely does the game. 

A couple of freezes were outside of the game, but as you can see I'm getting constant freezes with OCCT stress test, so it's not a game 😞

It's the graphics card.  Ever since I installed a 5700xt on an x370 board it froze with that error constantly.  Now on a b550 it still does it, although less often.   Factory resetting the card works sometimes.  

11 hours ago, merrybird12345 said:

It's the graphics card.  Ever since I installed a 5700xt on an x370 board it froze with that error constantly.  Now on a b550 it still does it, although less often.   Factory resetting the card works sometimes.  

I've tried another card as you can see in the original post. I've tried with Asrock rx550 that doesn't require external power and I also had freezes.

According to Corsair the most probably the problem lies in incompatibility of XMP on z490 and AMD graphic cards/drivers since the guy from support had similar issues but with 5700XT GPU. He switched to Nvidia and now has a stable machine with XMP on.

I'm waiting for the reply from AMD support, hopefully they'll help me with this issue as it appears I'm not the only one.