How do I stop discord from reducing volume on my PC?

PJemus

I have tried the discord support forums, but it doesn't seem that they have any real humans answering anybody's questions.

I want discord to stop reducing the volume of everything else on my PC. I have tried setting attenuation to 0, setting the 'do nothing' setting in communications in sound settings, disallowing individual applications to take exclusive control of my speaker, I have made sure my windows 10 is up to date, and I have reinstalled the sound driver, and the discor app. This issue also accurs on the desktop version so I am guessing it is likey something to do with windows settings, but I'm not sure. It is absurd that this 'feature' is so hard to get rid of.

Never had that even happen, could be something in your sound card's driver app?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Never had that even happen, could be something in your sound card's driver app?

I have Realtek High Definition Audio driver version 10.0.19041.1

This is most likely caused by a setting on windows go into control panel sounds and then communication and then press do nothing

windows-sound-communications-volume.jpg

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

This is most likely caused by a setting on windows go into control panel sounds and then communication and then press do nothing

Read the OP.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Read the OP.

Ohh umm check discord maybe? iirc there is a setting in the sound tab at the bottom that says lower volume when someone talks 

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 hour ago, Kanna said:

windows-sound-communications-volume.jpg

1 hour ago, Kanna said:

Ohh umm check discord maybe? iirc there is a setting in the sound tab at the bottom that says lower volume when someone talks 

Yea that's the attenuation setting, which I have set to 0%.

3 minutes ago, PJemus said:

Yea that's the attenuation setting, which I have set to 0%.

Weird that both are off and it's Still doing it is there any other programs running and does it do this in every game?

Reminder⚠️

2 hours ago, PJemus said:

I have tried the discord support forums, but it doesn't seem that they have any real humans answering anybody's questions.

I want discord to stop reducing the volume of everything else on my PC. I have tried setting attenuation to 0, setting the 'do nothing' setting in communications in sound settings, disallowing individual applications to take exclusive control of my speaker, I have made sure my windows 10 is up to date, and I have reinstalled the sound driver, and the discor app. This issue also accurs on the desktop version so I am guessing it is likey something to do with windows settings, but I'm not sure. It is absurd that this 'feature' is so hard to get rid of.

What about attenuation within discord you can find it under voice&video 

On 1/20/2021 at 12:17 AM, Kanna said:

Weird that both are off and it's Still doing it is there any other programs running and does it do this in every game?

it does this in everything. I want it to stop lowering on youtube videos, but even when I use discord on the browser, it still lowers volume for youtube on the same browser.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:07 AM, LpoolTech said:

What about attenuation within discord you can find it under voice&video 

Please read the like 5 other comments in this thread. I have said attenuation is at 0%.

3 minutes ago, PJemus said:

Please read the like 5 other comments in this thread. I have said attenuation is at 0%.

yeah you said ..

On 1/19/2021 at 10:22 AM, PJemus said:

I have tried setting attenuation to 0, setting the 'do nothing' setting in communications in sound settings

thats not the same as saying attenuation in both discord and sounds settings set to 0

6 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

yeah you said ..

thats not the same as saying attenuation in both discord and sounds settings set to 0

I replied to Kanna referring to discord attenuation setting

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2021 at 6:22 AM, PJemus said:

so, if you descovered how to solve this issue, i'd like you to explain to me how you did it, i'm having the same issue

• 8 months later...

Having the exact same issues, did anyone found a way to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

I found that changing the Audio Subsystem, located in Voice & Video, from Standard to either Legacy or Experimental stops discord from changing the volume levels.

• 2 months later...

I found that going into sounds and changing my speakers from default to my actual headset seems to have fixed it for me