250-300 FPS, micro stutters, lag spikes, rtx 3080 + 5600x 2020 build, pictures uploaded.[doom eternal]

b0ne-

Hi I have insane amount of lag spikes and micro stutters on a fairly newly pc.

I have updated every single thing to the latest version - bios, cpu, gpu drivers, windows updated as well.

My ram is running at xmp profile 2x8 3600mhz, my nvidia 3d settings are set for max performance.

My cpu is overclocked at 4.4 ghz and it's stable, 65 degrees max, my gpu is working perfectly but my cpu 

I think is slowing my gpu.

I have insanely high cpu loads and they cause microstutters and lag spikes.

I dont have any overlays or other background running software on my pc while playing, only my game and steam and my anti virus software. 

I tried reinstalling windows twice changing my settings in-game, on my nvidia 3d settings panel, my windows settings, I tried to disable my overclock

nothing works and helps.My cpu loads are insanely high and they cause micro stutters and lag spikes and it's unbearable for me to play like this.

Only thing that helps is capping my fps at 165 (my monitor's refresh rate) but I still get 60-70 % cpu loads sometimes and yeah basically 

I think my cpu is weak for my 3080 vision oc rtx gigabyte video card.

I am seriously thinking about upgrading my cpu to 5900x in order to get lower cpu loads because doom eternal is eating my cpu alive with high 

fps and I need high fps because it reduces the input lag and I am not used to playing at 165 fps.

Do you think 5900x would fix my problems ???

PS : Sometimes my cpu loads hit 95 % + and I've seen 100% a few times, so yeah I think I should change it to 5900x but I want other opinions.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1 minute ago, b0ne- said:

Only thing that helps is capping my fps at 165 (my monitor's refresh rate)

Just cap it at this. There is no need to upgrade your CPU but sure if you want to get more FPS and less micro stutters sure get a 5900x but I do not recommend? 

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

My guess is that the CPU OC is the problem. Why do it at all, when stock boost goes to 4.65GHz? You're probably even losing gaming performance with your OC. Also in games like DOOM it's completely useless to run at 300+ FPS. Just lock it at your monitors refresh rate. It's not like you need every competitive advantage you can get in this game.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Try more vcore or imc

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

My guess is that the CPU OC is the problem. Why do it at all, when stock boost goes to 4.65GHz? You're probably even losing gaming performance with your OC. Also in games like DOOM it's completely useless to run at 300+ FPS. Just lock it at your monitors refresh rate. It's not like you need every competitive advantage you can get in this game.

This. 

And your vcore or imc voltage is probably too low.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

There's a term programmers use which goes something like "unused resources are wasted resources".

I wouldn't say your CPU is having "insanely high loads", I would say its being used to it maximum. You're not CPU or GPU bound so your parts are perfect for each other.

Get rid of that OC, its doing nothing except removing your CPUs ability to boost itself during single core workloads.

Finally, in most cases micro stutter is actually caused by poor frame pacing, not poor performance.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

13 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

There's a term programmers use which goes something like "unused resources are wasted resources".

I wouldn't say your CPU is having "insanely high loads", I would say its being used to it maximum. You're not CPU or GPU bound so your parts are perfect for each other.

Get rid of that OC, its doing nothing except removing your CPUs ability to boost itself during single core workloads.

Finally, in most cases micro stutter is actually caused by poor frame pacing, not poor performance.

I oc-ed the cpu this morning to do the tests to see if there will be any difference, the loads are the same with the turbo boost and with the turbo boost disabled ...

I have stable frame rate, it does not drop below 250 and 250 is the framerate I need.

Ty for the answer I will disable the overclock

23 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

it actually is not I just oc-ed the cpu to test if it'd change anything but it did not, having the turbo boost mode enabled also gave me the same cpu loads and it was hitting stable 4.6ghz as u said

18 minutes ago, b0ne- said:

it actually is not I just oc-ed the cpu to test if it'd change anything but it did not, having the turbo boost mode enabled also gave me the same cpu loads and it was hitting stable 4.6ghz as u said

That would be expected for gaming loads since these tend to be multi threaded loads.

Ryzen CPU's have 2 boost modes, single core boost and multi core boost. The advertised "max boost" is actually for single core (so 4.65Ghz in your case).

The issue with OCing a Zen 2 or 3 CPU is that you will not be able to push an all core OC beyond what the CPU is capable of using automatic all core boost however by locking all your cores to 4.4Ghz you're preventing the CPU from boosting up to 4.65Ghz in single core tasks. You can verify this yourself by running Cinebench in single thread mode twice, once with an forced all core OC and again without. You'll notice that with an OC your single threaded performance is worse.

Frame pacing is not the same thing as framerate, FPS is the amount of frames drawn per second, frame pacing is the amount of time between each frame being drawn. You can have a stable FPS but if the draw time of the frames is fluctuating it will manifest as microstutters since the GPU will be expected a new frame to be available to draw but it isn't so it has to wait to refresh the screen.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

42 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That would be expected for gaming loads since these tend to be multi threaded loads.

Ryzen CPU's have 2 boost modes, single core boost and multi core boost. The advertised "max boost" is actually for single core (so 4.65Ghz in your case).

The issue with OCing a Zen 2 or 3 CPU is that you will not be able to push an all core OC beyond what the CPU is capable of using automatic all core boost however by locking all your cores to 4.4Ghz you're preventing the CPU from boosting up to 4.65Ghz in single core tasks. You can verify this yourself by running Cinebench in single thread mode twice, once with an forced all core OC and again without. You'll notice that with an OC your single threaded performance is worse.

Frame pacing is not the same thing as framerate, FPS is the amount of frames drawn per second, frame pacing is the amount of time between each frame being drawn. You can have a stable FPS but if the draw time of the frames is fluctuating it will manifest as microstutters since the GPU will be expected a new frame to be available to draw but it isn't so it has to wait to refresh the screen.

Thanks for the detailed information.

I have one more issue with this game (so far it's only that game) when I alt tab and I do stuff on my desktop, check my email, answer to some messages on steam (i ahve the overlay disabled) and spend like 2-3 minutes on my desktop and quickly go back into the game my game is soooo smooth, like when I am playing cs : go with 600 fps smooth

but in just less than 20 seconds the game becomes unsmooth because the game is unpaused and the loads are back (talking both when the cpu is at 20-30% and 60-80% load)

Could that alt tabbing thing have something to do wth my resolution because it says i am in exclusive fullscreen mode in-game and I have disabled the full screen optimizations.

Idk why it happens but when I alt tab and spend 2 min on desktop and go back to the game it's smooth like i want it to be smooth all the time for 10 seconds only : ( Maybe it's just this game and how it was made by the developers.

I will not be changing cpu for now ty for all the answers and ur time 🙂

7 minutes ago, b0ne- said:

Thanks for the detailed information.

I have one more issue with this game (so far it's only that game) when I alt tab and I do stuff on my desktop, check my email, answer to some messages on steam (i ahve the overlay disabled) and spend like 2-3 minutes on my desktop and quickly go back into the game my game is soooo smooth, like when I am playing cs : go with 600 fps smooth

but in just less than 20 seconds the game becomes unsmooth because the game is unpaused and the loads are back (talking both when the cpu is at 20-30% and 60-80% load)

Could that alt tabbing thing have something to do wth my resolution because it says i am in exclusive fullscreen mode in-game and I have disabled the full screen optimizations.

Idk why it happens but when I alt tab and spend 2 min on desktop and go back to the game it's smooth like i want it to be smooth all the time for 10 seconds only : ( Maybe it's just this game and how it was made by the developers.

I will not be changing cpu for now ty for all the answers and ur time 🙂

Have you checked that your GPU is running at full bandwidth?

Download GPUz, run it and find the Bus Interface reading. Right next to that is a ?, click it and run the benchmark then check the Bus Interface reading says PCIe x16 3.0 @ PCIe x16 3.0.

In fact please take a screenshot of GPUz and post it 🙂

13 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Have you checked that your GPU is running at full bandwidth?

Download GPUz, run it and find the Bus Interface reading. Right next to that is a ?, click it and run the benchmark then check the Bus Interface reading says PCIe x16 3.0 @ PCIe x16 3.0.

In fact please take a screenshot of GPUz and post it 🙂

hey man I think I found out what was happening I will post screenshots because It'd be easier for me to explain it to you.

Btw I wanna know if there is any kind of a way for me to check exactly how much power is my pc consuming in-game I have msi afterburner, riva turner

and hardwareinfo softwares installed on my pc.

screenshots for linus tech tips forum.jpg

Yeah, glad you got it sorted 🙂