Navi/Navi 2/Navi 3 on Ubuntu *LTS HWE*?

Go to solution Solved by linuxChips2600,

Did some more thinking, and since I probably won't go any higher than 1080p for quite a while I think the RX 6800 should more than suffice for Linux gaming (and the occasional ray-traced Minecraft). 👍

Once pandemic blows over and I get enough $$, I'm planning to upgrade to a rx 6800 (NON-XT) OR a 7700 (XT?) (quake 2 RTX @ 1080p 60+ fps all settings maxed sounds sick lol; even RTX 40+ fps 1080p all settings maxed is still OK, I have 1080p IPS 144 Freesync).  However, my OS of choice (even my gaming desktop) has always been Ubuntu, since I don't have to deal with the pain of NTFS corruption (trust me, it was always super unstable at least when I used Windows 10 on my laptop, may or may not have something to do with discovering much later hundreds of thousands of bad sectors on my HGST hard drive which came with the laptop, but even then Ubuntu's ext4 has never given me an issue; I run an SSD on the laptop anyway now).  But going with an LTS release meant that (to me at least) support for latest hardware was basically gonna be a no-go, until I discovered Ubuntu LTS HWE (Hardware Enhancement Version).

To be running on Ubuntu LTS HWE meant that (at least theoretically, from what I've read) one would get the benefit of both a stable OS and (basically) full-featured support for the latest hardware, including Over/Underclocking support, Under-volting support (my Vega 56 and most other 2017+ consumer GPUs understandably has a hard VBIOS voltage limit), and changing power limits.  However, I've also read stories like this: https://github.com/azeam/powerupp/issues/1 online where even having the latest OS and kernel (NOT the upstream ones btw; I tend to not want to mess with those unless if I absolutely have to) basically will do one no good if it's not an "unlocked GPU", since the GPU in question is a 5600XT, which is basically just a "vbios-limited" version of a 5700 from everything I know.  Nonetheless, I'm running a LTS HWE Ubuntu (18.04, I'm waiting for 20.04.02 LTS HWE) on my laptop (daily driver, not using desktop much rn) and it seems so far I get kernel updates pretty frequently, so it seems like there's still hope for me if I want to get the latest-gen GPU for my very next upgrade.

So for any of those running Ubuntu LTS HWE, especially for those running a 5700 or a 5600 XT, or even any other RDNA/RDNA 2 GPU, how has OS support/stability and changing clocks/power limits/voltages been?  Does the 5600 XT vbios clock limit still apply now unless if the vbios is flashed to something different?  And does any of this mean that even if the HWE feature does truly live up to its promises, I'll still have to avoid a Vbios-limited SKU like 5600 XT (I assume this includes Nvidia GPUs too?) no matter what?

BTW i don't care about GUI vs CLI overclocking; I've done CLI overclocking with my Vega 56 and I use vim.basic all the time.  Also 1080p is good enough for me; just want the ray-tracing capabilities before it catches on everywhere big time (see https://wccftech.com/valve-source-2-engine-rumored-to-receive-ray-tracing-rtx-support/)

Also my current Steam library:
  - Shadow of Tomb Raider
  - Deus Ex, Mankind Divided
  - CSGO
  - DOTA 2
  - Quake II ray-traced (Once get RDNA 2+ GPU)
  - (We'll see lol)

Edited by linuxChips2600
saw that max power limit for rx 6000 series is 115% and not 150% like Vega, and that rx 6800 maxed-out raytracing at 1080p is around 30 fps min

I'm pretty sure the RDNA2 stuff won't boot Quake 2 RTX. I think it needs an Nvidia card.... Same goes for Minecraft RTX

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

2 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

I'm pretty sure the RDNA2 stuff won't boot Quake 2 RTX. I think it needs an Nvidia card.... Same goes for Minecraft RTX

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/12/quake-ii-rtx-adds-support-for-the-official-cross-vendor-vulkan-ray-tracing

Also I said that I'm not gonna upgrade GPU until at least pandemic is over (and I get enough $$; not employed rn), and I doubt that it'll take that long for Vulkan ray tracing to become stable on Linux for Quake II RTX.

12 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Also I did find this but it does seem to be running on Windows instead -

...maybe I should ask this question in a more Linux-oriented forum? Please give me some good examples if so; the response rate on ubuntuforums.org was absolutely trash (i.e. zero responses for 3+days) when I tried using it.

• 1 month later...

Did some more thinking, and since I probably won't go any higher than 1080p for quite a while I think the RX 6800 should more than suffice for Linux gaming (and the occasional ray-traced Minecraft). 👍