Why gpu's on ebay are overpriced?

happyleonardo14

I bought a rtx 2060 a year ago Now I find that it costs more on ebay than what I bought at that time $325,  now you can buy my gpu at $ 500 !!! or more what's happening here? is it supposed to go down in price not go up I don't know what's going on but I'm tired of seeing that everything on the internet is out of stock and scalpers taking advantage of the situation.

what is the purpose of advertising a gpu at $339 if in the end there will be no stock and our only option is to pay a scalper or wait for it to drop to its original price.

surely by the time that happens they will already be launching the nvidia rtx 4xxx and here we go again

Supply and demand. Can't get anything else, so what's available goes up in price.

On eBay specifically, for items that are as old as yours, they're not really scalpers. They're simply capitalizing on market trends, and the market is deciding what the cards are worth. There's a pandemic right now, as well as a mining boom, both of which are going to drastically affect supply. Not much you can do. Just wait it out.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

20 minutes ago, happyleonardo14 said:

I bought a rtx 2060 a year ago Now I find that it costs more on ebay than what I bought at that time $325,  now you can buy my gpu at $ 500 !!! or more what's happening here? is it supposed to go down in price not go up I don't know what's going on but I'm tired of seeing that everything on the internet is out of stock and scalpers taking advantage of the situation.

what is the purpose of advertising a gpu at $339 if in the end there will be no stock and our only option is to pay a scalper or wait for it to drop to its original price.

surely by the time that happens they will already be launching the nvidia rtx 4xxx and here we go again

1. There's no such thing as a "scalper" as it relates to GPUs.

2. People want to upgrade their GPUs, but there's no new stock. Lots of those people refuse to wait any longer; some actually do need it right. f*cking. now. That's driving prices up.

You think it's nuts now? Wait until people get their next stimulus check. The number of $1,399 GPUs on eBay will be staggering.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

42 minutes ago, happyleonardo14 said:

Nothing's been in stock since November. That's why

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

1 hour ago, happyleonardo14 said:

I've basically given up on overpaying for this gen, there's also no illusion about next gen's supply situation being any better around launch. I honestly don't think the gpu market can be fixed unless crypto crashes, so then the question is which gen is worth an allin (it's certainly not the current one)

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 hour ago, happyleonardo14 said:

what is the purpose of advertising a gpu at $339 if in the end there will be no stock

It looks good in reviews. 

"price / performance ratio!" 

1 hour ago, Action_Johnson said:

Nothing's been in stock since November. That's why

Not true, December was after November and that's when I got a 3070... and there were like 10 different models to choose from even... skip forward 2 weeks and it's pretty much ghost town since then... (world wide it would seem) 

20210119_063127.thumb.jpg.222ceb0cec88efbe035abce0b3b99263.jpg

🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Supply and demand. Can't get anything else, so what's available goes up in price.

On eBay specifically, for items that are as old as yours, they're not really scalpers. They're simply capitalizing on market trends, and the market is deciding what the cards are worth. There's a pandemic right now, as well as a mining boom, both of which are going to drastically affect supply. Not much you can do. Just wait it out.

It's simply profiteering no need to sugarcoat it. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

It looks good in reviews. 

"price / performance ratio!" 

Not true, December was after November and that's when I got a 3070... and there were like 10 different models to choose from even... skip forward 2 weeks and it's pretty much ghost town since then... (world wide it would seem) 

20210119_063127.thumb.jpg.222ceb0cec88efbe035abce0b3b99263.jpg

🤷🏼

yeas very reasonable prices 550 euro (665 usd) for a gpu (3060 ti) that barely outperforms a 4 year old GTX 1080 ti which was selling 2nd hand for lower than that (around 300 to 400 usd)...

was being the keyword 

It's just a mess OP the best thing you can do is not buying anything new try to find local listings (inspect first before you hand over the cash) because that;'s your only weapon against the profiteering that is going around. 

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

It's simply profiteering no need to sugarcoat it.

It's not really unfair. It's not like you're making them pay the high price. You simply put it up for a fair price, and they pay more on their own accord.

It's not the same thing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not really unfair. It's not like you're making them pay the high price. You simply put it up for a fair price, and they pay more on their own accord.

It's not the same thing.

Why you try to protect the few that try to take advantage of you is above me (unless you have stocks or any other sort of interest to do so) 

I is not just not fair in fact it is illegal just google the word profiteering

but good luck for a single guy to go against those big companies using the legal route especially when so many of their sworn allies (without any profit for their own other than liking the brand for some reason) try to spam with attacks or other such things when you try to raise awareness. 

15 minutes ago, papajo said:

yeas very reasonable prices 550 euro

Ironically this is pretty much exactly what I was expecting this summer (as did others) you simply have to get the the "msrp" thing out of your head it was never meant to be... 

there's no way 3000 cards were going to be cheaper than 2000 cards... the sooner you understand this the better. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ironically this is pretty much exactly what I was expecting this summer (as did others) you simply have to get the the "msrp" thing out of your head it was never meant to be... 

there's no way 3000 cards were going to be cheaper than 2000 cards... the sooner you understand this the better. 

and whyt not? why is there a need to brake a 30 year old way of doing business? Production as things scale (more sales and more efficient ways to produce something ) is supposed to get cheaper not more expensive. 

In fact this characteristic on its own (becoming faster and cheaper each year) was what made the personal computer industry flourish! 

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

8 minutes ago, papajo said:

is not just not fair in fact it is illegal just google the word profiteering

Also, at least in my country it's illegal to have "bait and switch" prices... (aka unrealistic and unreasonable "msrp") 

the problem is of course indeed, no one is suing... this isn't like when Lidl "sells" medion pcs way under value (which then of course weren't available at all) 

"gaming" no one cares about that here in the same way... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, papajo said:

Why you try to protect the few that try to take advantage of you is above me (unless you have stocks or any other sort of interest to do so) 

I is not just not fair in fact it is illegal just google the word profiteering

but good luck for a single guy to go against those big companies using the legal route especially when so many of their sworn allies (without any profit for their own other than liking the brand for some reason) try to spam with attacks or other such things when you try to raise awareness. 

Try to protect? Get a grip. I'm simply stating facts. If you can't handle that, well, that's on you.

It's also not illegal. If that was the case, eBay wouldn't exist at all.

You're taking a word you learned, using it in an incorrect context, and making a huge deal about it.

The last part of your reply makes absolutely no sense, big companies weren't even mentioned here.

Take a breath and do a little more research.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Also, at least in my country it's illegal to have "bait and switch" prices... (aka unrealistic and unreasonable "msrp") 

the problem is of course indeed, no one is suing... this is like when Lidl "sells" medion pcs way under value (which then of course weren't available at all) 

"gaming" no one cares about that here in the same way... 

Exactly and this is why alertness needs to be raised and instead of people trying to mock others that do so at least stop doing that if not supporting them. 

And it is not just gaming, GPUs have many other uses and therefor ridiculous pricetags inhibit the progress of research or the quality of work for a million other people that do not have heafty trust funds to back them up.

how many "single army" guys produce videos or take some work as a 3rd party assistant for movie companies or other companies that need some video etc.

How many scientists try to calculate stuff for their research using GPUs 

If they were easier to obtain their work would be faster by a lot. 

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Try to protect? Get a grip. I'm simply stating facts.

Saying that price fixing/price gauging and manipulating supply is "fair" is far from stating the facts its an attempt to make what happens now seem normal or in other words protect what is happening. 

Profiteering is not fair nor legal. 

Even if it sounds absurd, there's also another angle to the whole msrp thing... nvidia isn't stupid, it's possible they put a really low (and therfore attractive) price on these cards because they knew supply would be really bad (they had to know) and also that scalpers (that includes "retailers") would push the prices way up, so this was simply a clever way for them to avoid having "$1500 RTX 3070's" on the market, although we're going into exactly that direction anyways... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

supply would be really bad (they had to know) a

And that is a strong indication for them to be involved in manipulating supply to profiteer. 

They had to know (both amd and nvidia) btw their MSRPs are not "low" they are even a little bit higher compared to other years. 

So they knew about it and did nothing(eg increase the supply) actually on the contrary they did something, something that aids the above indication they supplied even lower quantities than they used to the past years and they are not idiots as you said they knew that all this would happen and their decided to take advantage of it(that includes AMD). 

53 minutes ago, papajo said:

Saying that price fixing/price gauging and manipulating supply is "fair" is far from stating the facts its an attempt to make what happens now seem normal or in other words protect what is happening. 

Profiteering is not fair nor legal. 

You realize you can't have price fixing on eBay right? You're spouting off about stuff that has no relevance to the OP.

You should keep your rhetoric to the appropriate threads and not let it bleed into everything you post.

People selling their old cards on eBay is also not illegal, and if people decide they want to pay $500 for it, it's not profiteering.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

9 hours ago, papajo said:

And that is a strong indication for them to be involved in manipulating supply to profiteer. 

They had to know (both amd and nvidia) btw their MSRPs are not "low" they are even a little bit higher compared to other years. 

So they knew about it and did nothing(eg increase the supply) actually on the contrary they did something, something that aids the above indication they supplied even lower quantities than they used to the past years and they are not idiots as you said they knew that all this would happen and their decided to take advantage of it(that includes AMD). 

I dont buy the idea that AMD/NVidia are deliberately limiting stock. Theres been a particular set of circumstances that when all put together has resulted in huge demand, and simultaneously limited supply.

Last gen was underwhelming, price/performance didnt really improve much over previous cards. So many people skipped it, and held out for 30xx/RDNA2.

AMD getting their act together meant that additionally this gen has been a return to serious generational improvement, both in outright performance, and price/performance ratio. This pushed lots of people to want to upgrade, but also meant anyone building a PC over the second half of 2020 were "holding out" for the new cards, futher adding to demand.

AMD are/were trying to launch multiple products simultaneously on the same process (Consoles, GPUs, Zen3, Renoir) all of which have huge demand, while also continuing to fab older products to meet the demands in those sectors, and they cannot easily just "make more" because production capacity is fixed.

Nvidia had a last minute switch to Samsung 8nm, and clearly didnt (or couldnt) order enough wafers to meet demand.

COVID has also meant various supply chain issues and restrictions, while simultaneously massively increasing demand across the board due to more folk working from home, and lots of people sitting at home and deciding to get into gaming, or having money spare that they can spend on upgrades.

Its just been a perfect storm and the result is the mess we have now.

I ordered some AMD powered HP laptops via a large corporate account in December, and they're not being delivered until March. Thats not AMD spicing up the market with deliberate shortages, they dont f about with contracts to huge OEM's like HP. They simply do not have enough capacity to meet demand.