Windows Vista retro build RAM

da na

Hey,

I'm building a retro Vista system, I'm thinking of:

4-channel 2gb (8gb total) of OCZ Platinum ddr2 800.

(ddr2 is the highest the motherboard supports)

Is that OK for heavy gaming?

For anyone wondering, the rest of the specs are Asus M3A78-EM AM2+ motherboard, Phenom x4 9650x, Radeon HD 4870 x2, Adata su750 ultimate 512g

Heavy gaming like what? Also save yourself the headache and use windows 7 with a vista theme stuff just works better on it and it's lighter than vista. Especially crossfire is going to thank you for going with 7 :p.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Heavy gaming like what? Also save yourself the headache and use windows 7 with a vista theme stuff just works better on it and it's lighter than vista. Especially crossfire is going to thank you for going with 7 :p.

OK, thanks for the 7 rec. The 4870 x2 can be tricky, having two dies on one card, so any alleviated crossfire problems are a godsend.

I'm building it as what would have been one of the best systems out there in early 2008. Meant to be a powerful gaming system for playing games 2004-2012.

2 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

OK, thanks for the 7 rec. The 4870 x2 can be tricky, having two dies on one card, so any alleviated crossfire problems are a godsend.

I'm building it as what would have been one of the best systems out there in early 2008. Meant to be a powerful gaming system for playing games 2004-2012.

Also what 4870x2? They coolers weren't well designed and basically the second dye ran waaay hotter than the first causing early failure due to that on a lot of them (asus was the worst with this). So if you do get one repaste the crap out of it to get it to live longer. 2012 games are like way above it's paygrade. You'd be suprised how poorly 2012 games run on a 4870x2 even with good crossfire. Hardware demand for games was going up massively with 1080p monitors becoming the new mainstream resolution and the 4870 was made in an age where that wasn't the case yet.

10 hours ago, jaslion said:

Also what 4870x2? They coolers weren't well designed and basically the second dye ran waaay hotter than the first causing early failure due to that on a lot of them (asus was the worst with this). So if you do get one repaste the crap out of it to get it to live longer. 2012 games are like way above it's paygrade. You'd be suprised how poorly 2012 games run on a 4870x2 even with good crossfire. Hardware demand for games was going up massively with 1080p monitors becoming the new mainstream resolution and the 4870 was made in an age where that wasn't the case yet.

Yes, I've repasted an original 4870 x2 FE. I have good case airflow, but they are rated to go up to 92c under load...

I also have a custom fan profile so hopefully it lasts awhile.

Thanks for the help!