Did bios update and computer doesn’t seem to be booting

Thingyman
Go to solution Solved by Smitecreed,

The only thing I can think of is resetting the bios with clearing cmos but that might make it worse so i'm not too sure

I just updated my bios from windows using the MSI Dragon Center utility and it said restarting but my screen is black. The system is running though, all fans and rgb is on.

Specs are:

r5 5600x with stock cooler

rtx 3070 fe

MSI MPG B550 Gaming carbon wifi

corsair rm750x

corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb

samsung 970 evo 1tb

seagate barracuda 2tb

It said not to turn it off, so should I power on and off?

What was the issue that you were experiencing that made you update the BIOS?  It could be caused by whatever problem you were trying to fix rather than the bios update.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

1 minute ago, shoutingsteve said:

What was the issue that you were experiencing that made you update the BIOS?  It could be caused by whatever problem you were trying to fix rather than the bios update.

There was no issue, just wanted to update as I just built it. Why, am I not supposed to? Sorry if I’m missing something, this is my first build

1 minute ago, Thingyman said:

There was no issue, just wanted to update as I just built it. Why, am I not supposed to? Sorry if I’m missing something, this is my first build

well, flashing the BIOS is typically not to be messed around with unless something is wrong.
But, what's done is done.  SO...
Are you plugging you  monitor into the mobo video out or the videocard?  Often times BIOS settings default to the onboard video out and you have to change them to the videocard as the primary display. Try plugging a monitor into the back panel of the mobo.

1 minute ago, shoutingsteve said:

well, flashing the BIOS is typically not to be messed around with unless something is wrong.
But, what's done is done.  SO...
Are you plugging you  monitor into the mobo video out or the videocard?  Often times BIOS settings default to the onboard video out and you have to change them to the videocard as the primary display. Try plugging a monitor into the back panel of the mobo.

Just tried, no luck. Did I brick my bios?

Some mobos (not sure about this one) have a particular USB slot that you can plug a thumb drive into to update the BIOS blindly, but I'm not sure yours does.  Check your manual for a section about flashing the bios.

1 minute ago, Thingyman said:

Should I try off and on again?

no harm in trying, but I am not optomistic.

The only thing I can think of is resetting the bios with clearing cmos but that might make it worse so i'm not too sure

15 hours ago, Smitecreed said:

Thank you! Clearing the cmos then rebooting fixed the problem!