Optimal Settings for a FreeNAS Server

Go to solution Solved by shoutingsteve,

I love freenas. I have mine setup as RAID-Z2.  That gave me lots of storage and safety when one of the drives breaks down enough to rebuild the system (it is 2-drive fault tolerant, so you don't have to worry about a second drive failing during the stress of the rebuild)

I recently got a good deal on an HPE ProLiant DL380 G9 Server, and was wondering what the best settings for FreeNAS would be.

The specs of the server are:

2x 6 Core E5-2620v3 2.4GHz

32GB RAM

10GbE NIC

Redundant 800w Power Supplies

12x WD 500GB HDD (WDC WD5000AAKX-60U6AA0)

1x Intel 100GB SSD as boot and cache drive since I read from STH that a USB install isn't recommended.

If your wondering why the AAKX Drives its because I got them all for free from my work as "spares" that were no longer needed.

How should I set up the drives in FreeNAS? What RAID settings should I use. I see many different people are torn on what the best settings are. I have a second server that will make a copy of this one every day so redundancy isn't as big a priority as speed and capacity. All feedback is appreciated. 

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

I love freenas. I have mine setup as RAID-Z2.  That gave me lots of storage and safety when one of the drives breaks down enough to rebuild the system (it is 2-drive fault tolerant, so you don't have to worry about a second drive failing during the stress of the rebuild)

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

10 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

Also, full disclosure, I load mine off a USB drive and I have never had problems.  Keep a backup of your configuration file (I will look up how to do it for you adn post back in a moment) and you are always safe.

EDIT:
To save your system configuration to get you back up adn running if your boot drive fails:

Menu on the left--> System--> General --> bottom button that says "save config"

then you put that on you main computer and you are able to restore the raid table for your drives incase the boot drive needs replacing.

15 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

Ok, sounds good. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

Also, full disclosure, I load mine off a USB drive and I have never had problems.  Keep a backup of your configuration file (I will look up how to do it for you adn post back in a moment) and you are always safe.

EDIT:
To save your system configuration to get you back up adn running if your boot drive fails:

Menu on the left--> System--> General --> bottom button that says "save config"

then you put that on you main computer and you are able to restore the raid table for your drives incase the boot drive needs replacing.

So would you recommend staying with the USB install or the SSD Install path?

The SSD is 100GB, but I heard FreeNAS doesn't actually need an L2 ARC

The USB Drive is only 32GB, but its USB 3.1 so fast enough.

5 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

So would you recommend staying with the USB install or the SSD Install path?

If you have enough ports on your mobo, use them.  I chose to use every SATA port on my board for storage drives knowing that I could boot of a USB stick.  I bought a small button style one that barely sticks out of the port so that I couldn't break it off.  The thing is, you are going to be keeping the nas box up 24/7 so once the data is read off the USB stick during boot, everything happens inside the ram.  There is not any caching or scratch disk stuff going on (unless I shot myself in the foot and missed out on those features by choosing the USB boot method).

35 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

If you have enough ports on your mobo, use them.  I chose to use every SATA port on my board for storage drives knowing that I could boot of a USB stick.  I bought a small button style one that barely sticks out of the port so that I couldn't break it off.  The thing is, you are going to be keeping the nas box up 24/7 so once the data is read off the USB stick during boot, everything happens inside the ram.  There is not any caching or scratch disk stuff going on (unless I shot myself in the foot and missed out on those features by choosing the USB boot method).

I actually have 2 internal USB 3.1 ports but no internal SATA ports, only SATA X4 which needs a special adapter that I don’t really want to buy so it’d be better to go the USB route I think.

1 hour ago, PenguinMaster said:

I actually have 2 internal USB 3.1 ports but no internal SATA ports, only SATA X4 which needs a special adapter that I don’t really want to buy so it’d be better to go the USB route I think.

spend the extra 3 or 4 dollars to get a good USB drive.  They are so inexpensive nowadays.  Plus, you only need a 16(?) gig (maybe 32 or 64?... check the specs)
Also, my advice: download the installer that you use to install your version of the the software and KEEP THAT INSTALLER FILE (in the same place that you save your recovery file).  IT WILL MAKE RECOVERY EASIER!  Future installations will be compatible with your backup configuration, but you don't need to add the hassle of learning a new layout at the same time as recovering data.