Why can my wireless mouse wake up my laptop?

wangyuji431
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

When you're computer is in sleep mode it still sends power to devices that are plugged in via USB. This allows it to be woken up if the keyboard is pressed or the mouse is moved. It's a normal feature of Windows 10. The reason a wireless mouse can also do this is that the receiver is still receiving power even when the PC is sleeping. Therefore, it is still communicating with the mouse. So when your mouse is moved the receiver sends a signal to the laptop telling it how it moved, and the laptop decides to wake up.

I'm not really sure how the Share Mouse is able to do it though.

Depends tho most decent mice should not wake up a sleeping laptop. However there are multiple sleep modes. Standby, sleep and deep sleep. A mouse input should wake a standby system but not a sleep or deep sleep (sleep could happen some mice trigger it but deep sleep should not). The share mouse software might be forcing the laptop in standby instead of sleep so it can keep sending information to the system.

I have a wireless mouse plugged in to my laptop via USB receiver, and it wakes up my laptop. Additionally, I run Share Mouse, which sends desktop input to my laptop, which also wakes up my laptop.

1. How (is my CPU awake constantly in order to get interrupts)?

2. Why does this not drain massive amounts of battery?

When you're computer is in sleep mode it still sends power to devices that are plugged in via USB. This allows it to be woken up if the keyboard is pressed or the mouse is moved. It's a normal feature of Windows 10. The reason a wireless mouse can also do this is that the receiver is still receiving power even when the PC is sleeping. Therefore, it is still communicating with the mouse. So when your mouse is moved the receiver sends a signal to the laptop telling it how it moved, and the laptop decides to wake up. That's at least my understanding of how it works. It's possible I got some minor details wrong. If so someone else feel free to correct me.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

When you're computer is in sleep mode it still sends power to devices that are plugged in via USB. This allows it to be woken up if the keyboard is pressed or the mouse is moved. It's a normal feature of Windows 10. The reason a wireless mouse can also do this is that the receiver is still receiving power even when the PC is sleeping. Therefore, it is still communicating with the mouse. So when your mouse is moved the receiver sends a signal to the laptop telling it how it moved, and the laptop decides to wake up.

Depends tho most decent mice should not wake up a sleeping laptop. However there are multiple sleep modes. Standby, sleep and deep sleep. A mouse input should wake a standby system but not a sleep or deep sleep (sleep could happen some mice trigger it but deep sleep should not). The share mouse software might be forcing the laptop in standby instead of sleep so it can keep sending information to the system.

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv