RGB Cable Not Working? Is an RGB controller necessary?

Go to solution Solved by Mq3,

I fixed the issue, it was odd but there were arrows on the plugs, I made sure the arrows lined up and they didn't work. Then I tried the opposite so the arrows didn't line up and they did work. Strange.

This is the 4 pin RGB strip of lights with the 4-pin headers and when I plugged it into the 4 pin header on my Asus X570 Gaming Plus motherboard. I plugged in my PSU and turned it on and the Asus Aura sync lights on the mbd light up and these did not light up. Do I need an RGB controller instead? It says RGB header on the mbd btw.

Cables.jpg

1 hour ago, Mq3 said:

This is the 4 pin RGB strip of lights with the 4-pin headers and when I plugged it into the 4 pin header on my Asus X570 Gaming Plus motherboard. I plugged in my PSU and turned it on and the Asus Aura sync lights on the mbd light up and these did not light up. Do I need an RGB controller instead? It says RGB header on the mbd btw.

Cables.jpg

did you download the software to use it?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I did have it downloaded, but when I tested the lights, all I did was turn on the PSU and they didn't light up. I then took a look in corsair's Icue software and I think I need to activate the headers from there.

Also, is there any risk of damaging my motherboard by installing this into the rgb headers? I know that I have to cover the pins that aren't connected to anything so it doesn't short out.

1 hour ago, Mq3 said:

I did have it downloaded, but when I tested the lights, all I did was turn on the PSU and they didn't light up. I then took a look in corsair's Icue software and I think I need to activate the headers from there.

Please list the RGB hardware you have. Showing 12V RGB and then talking about Corsair (which uses their own connectors) is confusing. RGB should work right away when you connect it directly to supported motherboard header. Then any power comes from mobo.

6 minutes ago, Mq3 said:

Also, is there any risk of damaging my motherboard by installing this into the rgb headers? I know that I have to cover the pins that aren't connected to anything so it doesn't short out.

Not if you connect things correctly and to correct headers. Your mobo has 2x 12V and 1x 5V header. You need to use 12V headers. Please check your mobo manual for more details.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, Mq3 said:

icue is not the software to use... its your mb manufacture website. to download there rgb software.

icue cant control mb headers...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

20 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

icue is not the software to use... its your mb manufacture website. to download there rgb software.

icue cant control mb headers...

I don't remember brand of the LEDs, but I know that it did say that it was "Aura Sync Compatible" and since I have ASUS I think it will be fine.

4 hours ago, Mq3 said:

I don't remember brand of the LEDs, but I know that it did say that it was "Aura Sync Compatible" and since I have ASUS I think it will be fine.

huh? that's not what i said....

• 4 weeks later...

I have an Asus board myself. You need to install/update and run the Asus Aura software to control the 12V 4-pin RGB header. I can't remember, but you may need to activate it in BIOS as well.
Branding does not matter when it comes to 12V RGB strips. As long as the 3 pins/wires for RGB are oriented correctly, sometimes R and G are swapped, having the Aura compatibility is just a badge of useless honor for the LED manufacturers imo.

I would test the strip to make sure it works though. There could be a loose solder joint, or bad connector crimp going on, or you could have a common cathode strip instead of a common anode strip, or the orientation of the wires could be backwards. One end gets plugged opposite the other end, because the 12 V line is either on the left or right, but when you look at it from the opposite end, the orientation is switched. If you have the software and bios squared away, it's either the strip or an internal chip on the motherboard. If you have a spare LED strip that you could test, or you can always resort to cutting the strip down partially and connecting the pins manually to test them. It's hard to say because that picture angle doesn't readily reveal the pin orientation.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:24 AM, Mq3 said:

I had some wacky RGB issues with my Asus Prime X399-A motherboard where my RGB was not being controlled or sent power through the headers too. If you still have the issue, I found that Asus Armoury Crate RGB software was able to get the motherboard's headers working properly. It can be found on Asus's website and I recommend it since part of it is directly for Asus motherboards.

I fixed the issue, it was odd but there were arrows on the plugs, I made sure the arrows lined up and they didn't work. Then I tried the opposite so the arrows didn't line up and they did work. Strange.

9 hours ago, Mq3 said:

welcome to rgb...hell

On 2/23/2021 at 1:08 PM, Mq3 said:

new tech support go-to will be, "have you tried to plug it in backwards"

22 hours ago, StratoVector said:

new tech support go-to will be, "have you tried to plug it in backwards"

IK right?