Ever place your key fob under your chin...

Rocketdog2112

Ever notice (or try) that if you put your key fob for your vehicle or gate opener under your chin when you push the button, it extends the operating range of the fob? Try it and you will see it does indeed work. Why is a mystery?

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Yes! 

I do it all the time since i saw it on Top Gear, ages ago.

It seems to increase the range, sometimes i want to double check that i locked my car and if its too far away, i use this method.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

yeah i've done it before in parking lots when borrowing someone else's car that i cant find as easily as mine.

Its pretty commonplace at repair shops where they have a large lot of cars and just grab a set of keys.

It works because your brain is a lot of water and that amps the signal. you can play with your kids by doing magic water bottle trick. get out of range of the clicker to work then use a water bottle in front of the clicker and it'll work.

On 1/19/2021 at 3:32 AM, DriftMan said:

I stopped using this method since I accidentally unlocked all the cars in the neighborhood

This was funnier than it should have been, by a long shot...

On 1/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, Rocketdog2112 said:

Ever notice (or try) that if you put your key fob for your vehicle or gate opener under your chin when you push the button, it extends the operating range of the fob?

This "seemed" to work exceedingly well with my Subaru WRX. My Subaru Baja seems to have reduced range when I try this.

Then again, my Baja is a weird beast that... Is just very weird.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

12 hours ago, Sarra said:

Baja is a weird beast that... Is just very weird.

That's because "Baja" is the Spanish word for the Old Egyptian word "Baajar", which the Greeks saw and read "Bah-jhar" with a soft 'J' sound. That word evolved into the Roman 'Baazar' (not to be confused with 'Bazaar', like a marketplace), which was then mixed with the Greek word and an Arabic word ("Bizzehr") to give us "Bizarre".

So, yes, it is accurate to say your 'Baja' is very 'Bizarre'.

#TheMoreYouKnow

On the key fob thing: yes, I like to show off my robot skills like signal amplification, too. As humans do. And such.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

3 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

That's because "Baja" is the Spanish word for the Old Egyptian word "Baajar", which the Greeks saw and read "Bah-jhar" with a soft 'J' sound. That word evolved into the Roman 'Baazar' (not to be confused with 'Bazaar', like a marketplace), which was then mixed with the Greek word and an Arabic word ("Bizzehr") to give us "Bizarre".

#TheMoreYouKnow

On the key fob thing: yes, I like to show off my robot skills like signal amplification, too. As humans do. And such.

I thought Subaru named it after the flaccid... Uh, the territory in Mexico?

Oh. We're talking about the same thing.

I mean, the word itself is bizarre, but the truck is bizarre, regardless of the name?

19 hours ago, Sarra said:

I thought Subaru named it after

Yeh, I was 100 per cent talkin' out my bum. I don't know what Subaru named it after, but very likely the territory in Mexico.

I wanted a Baja, though. I am low-key bummed they didn't last very long.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

19 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

#TheMoreYouKnow

in spanish it means a drop or fall on it's own, but can also refer to a small short feminine character. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 hour ago, The1Dickens said:

Yeh, I was 100 per cent talkin' out my bum. I don't know what Subaru named it after, but very likely the territory in Mexico.

I wanted a Baja, though. I am low-key bummed they didn't last very long.

The best kind of talking there is... XD

You can find 'em used. They've been coming out of the woodwork here, but finding one with less than 100,000 miles on it is going to be impossible.