AMD Radeon RX5700 crashes my PC (Out of ideas :|)

Hi,

I have reason to believe my GPU is the cause of my crashes whenever I play a game. Back in October 25, 2020, I created a thread on the same topic, which you can see here: 

At the time I thought I found the solution which was to disconnect my 4th HDD. Sadly, it turns out it wasn't the fix as over time I notice it recurring whenever I played a game. At that point I decided to live with it as it wasn't so bad as I could get away with it at times. Unfortenately, this has returned and it happens each time I play Star Wars BattleFront 2. Forever reason when my PC crashes it takes me back to the Windows login screen with the default background (which is a handy indicator for when I know I crashed)

What I've done so far:

• Updated my Intel Chipset
  • My GPU is on the latest driver on 20.12.1
  • I've updated my Intel Graphics Driver, which was a complete pain to do as every time I restarted it kept prompting me to install it again. I discovered the Driver was already installed because Intel Driver Assist website tells me there are no other updates, so fair enough
  • I've done a quick clean of my PSU filter and checked my front case two fans
  • I have two front case fans which are connected to a PWM Fan Splitter. I took away the Fan Splitter thinking it may have consumed too much power when temp was getting high because of course the PC only sees one fan cable and not two
  • I've gone as far to update my BIOS. This was done long after the first topic as I was clueless on what to do next. I regret doing this as when I use EZ Tune and choose the Gaming profile it instantly crashes my PC. I to instead use Stand profile
  • On the latest Windows version (20H2)
  • I was using MSI AfterBurner and I was messing around with the Fan control. I was increasing and decreasing all while I was in Star Wars BattleFront 2 ingame for few minutes

In my previous topic I mention I have valid warrenty, which is all good but I can't be away from my PC as I need it for work too.

I very much hope someone can analyze these two files (Event Viewer file and MSI AfterBurner log history) and find out what is the cause of my crashes. I've spentless countless minutes starring at them and I can't fingure out what is the cause.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

AMD Radeon RX 5700

RAM16 GB

EVGA 600W

Many Thanks,

D

Crash5!.evtx HardwareMonitoring.hml

Oh, I forgot to mention. I went into the BIOS and set Fan Ch2 (Front case fan) to turbo mode.

1 hour ago, Shockwave1000001 said:

- Snip -

Which "EVGA 600W" are you using?

Can you give us the model?
EVGA B2 600W? B3? G3?

Are you using a single daisy-chain cable for the two PCI-E 8-pin power connections, or two separate PCI-E 8-pin cables?

The only "EVGA 600W" that comes up are EVGA W1 600W, and the EVGA BR 600W, and EVGA B1 600W.

A little concerning if it is the W1 600W model....neither of these PSUs are very good in terms of performance and build quality.

If your CPU also overclocked?

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

18 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Which "EVGA 600W" are you using?

Can you give us the model?
EVGA B2 600W? B3? G3?

Are you using a single daisy-chain cable for the two PCI-E 8-pin power connections, or two separate PCI-E 8-pin cables?

The only "EVGA 600W" that comes up are EVGA W1 600W, and the EVGA BR 600W, and EVGA B1 600W.

A little concerning if it is the W1 600W model....neither of these PSUs are very good in terms of performance and build quality.

If your CPU also overclocked?

You say i5-9600K @ 3.7 GHz... BUT your HWMonitor log shows your CPU is running at 5000.00 MHz (5.0 GHz), and CPU power of 200W

At stock the i9600K is 3.7 GHz Base, and up to 4.6 GHz Boost.

5.0 GHz 200W would mean your CPU is not at stock.

image.png

Hi Rascal,

My PSU is a EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K3 (UK) and I am using two seperate PCI-E 8-PIN Cables for GPU if that's what you're asking?

According to the pic I do not think so. I checked EZ Tune and its set to normal. I have no interest in OC.20210119_010101.thumb.jpg.48a575f983975c313d52f2902435f902.jpg

Pic inside internals:20210119_010708.thumb.jpg.9260474bfbbdc4b59ccfac5e7be8eaaa.jpg

Update

An hour ago I have been playing Star Wars BattleFront 2 for an hour and haven't encountered one crash. I realized my USB jack converter was disconnected. I will try playing the game again, but this time with it connected.

14 minutes ago, Shockwave1000001 said:

Hi Rascal,

My PSU is a EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K3 (UK) and I am using two seperate PCI-E 8-PIN Cables for GPU if that's what you're asking?

According to the pic I do not think so. I checked EZ Tune and its set to normal. I have no interest in OC.

Pic inside internals:

Ahh...probably Multi-Core Enhancement (MCE) doing that then, as it is set to 'Auto Lets BIOS Optimized' (aka ON).

I'm somewhat suspicious on the power supply, for the reason I mentioned previously.

Do you happen to have another PSU (or able to borrow one) to test?

You mentioned it will crash every time you start a game.

Firing up a game would pull the CPU out of low power mode, and run at max frequency, which would mean more power draw.

The GPU will then change from idle / 2D power profile, to 3D / high performance power profile, again more power draw.

Even in your other post... two people mentioned it could be the PSU.

• Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

13 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Ahh...probably Multi-Core Enhancement (MCE) doing that then, as it is set to 'Auto Lets BIOS Optimized' (aka ON).

I'm somewhat suspicious on the power supply, for the reason I mentioned previously.

Do you happen to have another PSU (or able to borrow one) to test?

You mentioned it will crash every time you start a game.

Firing up a game would pull the CPU out of low power mode, and run at max frequency, which would mean more power draw.

The GPU will then change from idle / 2D power profile, to 3D / high performance power profile, again more power draw.

Even in your other post... two people mentioned it could be the PSU.

I was hoping to avoid the PSU as that's the component that bothers me the most, which is why I've been looking for alternatives. Unfortenately, I do not have another PSU.

After I came out of the BIOS to send you the picture of the configuration, I started Star Wars BattleFront 2 back up and once I got ingame (Shooting enemies) my PC instantly crashed. I didn't even connect the USB jack converter in yet.

So what setting should I apply to that?

I've provided another Event Viewer attachment.

Crash6!.evtx

4 minutes ago, Shockwave1000001 said:

I was hoping to avoid the PSU as that's the component that bothers me the most, which is why I've been looking for alternatives. Unfortenately, I do not have another PSU.

After I came out of the BIOS to send you the picture of the configuration, I started Star Wars BattleFront 2 back up and once I got ingame (Shooting enemies) my PC instantly crashed. I didn't even connect the USB jack converter in yet.

So what setting should I apply to that?

I've provided another Event Viewer attachment.

Crash6!.evtx 9.07 MB · 0 downloads

For the sake of troubleshooting, set MCE to Disabled.

Once you get this issue resolved, or at least fine out what is causing your problem, then you can re-enable it.

• Ekwb Custom loop

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

17 hours ago, -rascal- said:

For the sake of troubleshooting, set MCE to Disabled.

Once you get this issue resolved, or at least fine out what is causing your problem, then you can re-enable it.

My PC crashed again 😐

I've gone ahead and turned off Intel RAID which I don't remember turning on. See what happens.

I've got in touch with the company that built my PC and see what they say. I haven't anything for while from them 😞

51 minutes ago, Shockwave1000001 said:

My PC crashed again 😐

I've gone ahead and turned off Intel RAID which I don't remember turning on. See what happens.

I've got in touch with the company that built my PC and see what they say. I haven't anything for while from them 😞

RAID shouldn't cause the issues you are seeing...unless you ACTUALLY have a HDD / SSD RAID configuration, and it's corrupt or what-not.

You did not assemble the PC yourself?

Might have been useful if you mentioned that in the beginning...

Nonetheless, if the system is still under warranty, you *could* send it off to the System Integrator that built your PC.

Then again, if you send the PC off...you'll be out without a PC for a while....

Even if you can buy / get hold of a different PSU to test...or bring it to a local PC repair shop.

Doing a bench top PSU swap takes like... 5 minutes.

Because I just did this last weekend, helping a local guy troubleshoot his PC...

Unplug the motherboard 24-pin, CPU 4-pin, 2x PCI-E connections going to the GPU, and SATA power.

His PSU was still inside the system.

Grab my spare PSU, put it on the table next to his PC, with the PC on it's side with side panel removed, plug the 24-pin / CPU / PCI-E / SATA into his system.

• Ekwb Custom loop

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

On 1/19/2021 at 8:12 PM, -rascal- said:

RAID shouldn't cause the issues you are seeing...unless you ACTUALLY have a HDD / SSD RAID configuration, and it's corrupt or what-not.

You did not assemble the PC yourself?

Might have been useful if you mentioned that in the beginning...

Nonetheless, if the system is still under warranty, you *could* send it off to the System Integrator that built your PC.

Then again, if you send the PC off...you'll be out without a PC for a while....

Even if you can buy / get hold of a different PSU to test...or bring it to a local PC repair shop.

Doing a bench top PSU swap takes like... 5 minutes.

Because I just did this last weekend, helping a local guy troubleshoot his PC...

Unplug the motherboard 24-pin, CPU 4-pin, 2x PCI-E connections going to the GPU, and SATA power.

His PSU was still inside the system.

Grab my spare PSU, put it on the table next to his PC, with the PC on it's side with side panel removed, plug the 24-pin / CPU / PCI-E / SATA into his system.

I got in touch with the company and so far I have done the following with their tech support:

• Checked Asus profile in BIOS to be stock
  • I bought a display port to HDMI adapter as my screen setup was one going to GPU and other to Motherboard. I have since changed it to all to GPU only

The rest have been collecting logs and information to pass.

I'm still in the same situation. Hopefully, we can come to an agreement and I can send my PC back as this is a joke now.

3 hours ago, Shockwave1000001 said:

I got in touch with the company and so far I have done the following with their tech support:

• Checked Asus profile in BIOS to be stock
  • I bought a display port to HDMI adapter as my screen setup was one going to GPU and other to Motherboard. I have since changed it to all to GPU only

The rest have been collecting logs and information to pass.

I'm still in the same situation. Hopefully, we can come to an agreement and I can send my PC back as this is a joke now.

At this point, if the company has any decent customer service, they would take it in (or send it to somewhere equipped) and test the system out.

Troubleshoot the PC part by part of through process of elimination.

E.g. Test with another GPU, does it also crash? What happens if the PSU is changed? Try a different motherboard? etc.

• Ekwb Custom loop

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

I believed to have found the solution without sending my PC off to be troubleshooted.

In the end it was the cause of wasted GPU power. Someone made a thread about the game crashing their PC and one said it had to do with the game running on 150+ or 3000 fps which caused the GPU to fail. I've been using RivaTuner Statistics Server ever since with FPS cap set to 70.

If it fails then at least I got a £30 box to send it back in.

Thanks for everything. Hopefully, I wont have to return back here.