LOOKING FOR ADVICE ABOUT GETTING A POWER SUPPLY

Jydn

Looking for a bronze or gold atx psu that will fit in my matrexx 50 add rgb case, because my current one is too big to fit in the space designated for it. My mb is microATX but I’m not sure that matters too much 

4 minutes ago, Jydn said:

Looking for a bronze or gold atx psu that will fit in my matrexx 50 add rgb case, because my current one is too big to fit in the space designated for it. My mb is microATX but I’m not sure that matters too much 

That's a pretty big case with a nice long opening for the PSU. What PSU do you currently have that it possibly doesn't fit it in? Also if you want to buy a new one, what is your budget. Might make it easier for the recommendations. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

7 minutes ago, Analog said:

That's a pretty big case with a nice long opening for the PSU. What PSU do you currently have that it possibly doesn't fit it in? Also if you want to buy a new one, what is your budget. Might make it easier for the recommendations. 

There is a gap to slide the psu in from the side and it’s around 9cm high my current psu is the hp dps-320rb (it’s kinda old) but it’s just too high to fit through the gap. It’s the only thing that won’t fit from my old case to new one so I have all my money to spend ($800 NZD). I was looking to get an EVGA one as well cause I hear that they are the leading brand 

11 minutes ago, Analog said:

I was looking at this one. I think it will fit.  
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUEVG10500/EVGA-500-BR-500W-Power-Supply-80-Bronze-Single-12V?qr=GShopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB-VW4BGR6dRZ_kRNAG5mR10dKRIBOYyjWThpmsiYNJcUQkwrypY4BRoCXcYQAvD_BwE

If regular PSUs are too big, the Corsair SF series might suit.  Just choose your power needs, 450w, 600w or 750w.

I havent gotten a new psu for a while, but I think the reccomendations are get one with a 20-30% over your theoretical maximum draw. 

Be Quiet PSU's are, well, quiet so I'm thinking about getting one of theirs soon

Moved to the power supplies forum. If you're looking for advice on power supplies you should check the forum dedicated to power supplies.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Jydn said:

Nope. Gross.

Any other stores, seems very expensive for pretty average units ?

Also what's your budget, you can usually get some pretty solid choices here for $150AUD, so like $155 Kiwi Koin. Whats with the massive kiwi tax on PSUs ?

Range is also pretty average.

1 hour ago, Jydn said:

I was looking to get an EVGA one as well cause I hear that they are the leading brand 

EVGA as with most brands are a label on an OEM built unit, quality goes from dumpster fire to really good on PSUs. My biggest gripe with them is extremely confusing product naming and lineups.

1 hour ago, Jydn said:

Hp dps-320rb

Because it's for an OEM case it may not be a standard ATX size, which is might be your issue.

Edit:

The EVGA G5 is a decent EVGA unit but not better than a Corsair RM or the NZXT C.

RM650x for $215 maybe ? Oof.

Otherwise NZXT C Series but overall RM is a slightly better choice.

Unless someone familiar with the NZ market has a hot take.

1 hour ago, Jydn said:

This isn't a really good unit. If you are on a tight budget, I would at least advise for something like this: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUEVG11600/EVGA-600-GD-600W-80-Gold-Power-supply--5-year-limi

If you have a bit more money to spend Corsair RMx series or a Super Flower Leadex III would be even better. Also keep in mind that a good quality PSU can last you several builds. So you might spend a bit more now, but don't need to worry about it in the future. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

2 minutes ago, Analog said:

This isn't a really good unit. If you are on a tight budget, I would at least advise for something like this: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUEVG11600/EVGA-600-GD-600W-80-Gold-Power-supply--5-year-limi

If you have a bit more money to spend Corsair RMx series or a Super Flower Leadex III would be even better. Also keep in mind that a good quality PSU can last you several builds. So you might spend a bit more now, but don't need to worry about it in the future. 

Seems like a good option I was also looking at this one https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUCLM3451/Cooler-Master-MWE-BRONZE-V2-450W-80Plus-Bronze-PSU?qr=GShopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB-H1FrfPvdlN1G9AXRYlULikunFTS86WWXku2qNpquGSu3HTuzkxQxoCpbsQAvD_BwE any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Analog said:

Also my current pc only uses a 320w old psu so is not need a 600w id rather go cheaper 

1 hour ago, Jydn said:

Also my current pc only uses a 320w old psu so is not need a 600w id rather go cheaper 

It's not so much about the power rating but the quality. However at certain points they don't bother offering lower power variants as there'd be little demand. Like Corsair isn't going to drop an RM350, you just get the 550.

I'd say 550W-650W gives you a lot of flexibility for any upgrades in your budget and some good quality choices.

As Analog stated, a long warranty high end PSU will last a very long time through many upgrades.

The pricing in NZ is unfortunate as it's harder to justify the price bump and there looks to be a drought of the good value options.

5 hours ago, Jydn said:

There is a gap to slide the psu in from the side and it’s around 9cm high my current psu is the hp dps-320rb (it’s kinda old) but it’s just too high to fit through the gap.

Are you trying to slide it in the hole on the side where the glass panel is on the case? That's not to install the power supply, that's just a little cutout to show off the power supply. You need to install it from the other side.

The HP dps-320rb appears to be standard ATX PS2 sizing (150mm wide x 85mm high), so it should fit inside that case.

What PC specs do you have? Are you just swapping the HP components in to a new case or are you building an entirely new PC? The HP dps-320rb has non-standard power connectors. If you're using the same motherboard from the HP system that the power supply came with you won't be able to swap it for a standard ATX power supply.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Are you trying to slide it in the hole on the side where the glass panel is on the case? That's not to install the power supply, that's just a little cutout to show off the power supply. You need to install it from the other side.

The HP dps-320rb appears to be standard ATX PS2 sizing (150mm wide x 85mm high), so it should fit inside that case.

What PC specs do you have? Are you just swapping the HP components in to a new case or are you building an entirely new PC? The HP dps-320rb has non-standard power connectors. If you're using the same motherboard from the HP system that the power supply came with you won't be able to swap it for a standard ATX power supply.

Yep I figured out that I can’t just use any old psu cause my psu uses 6 + 6 + 4 pin connector (very rare/old) so I think I’m going to sell the whole thing and maybe keep the cpu and gpu because my mb doesnt let me use ddr4 ram either. And yes I’m sliding it in from the gap at the back and it doesn’t fit. It’s too high for it.