Ryzen 9 3900x or 5900x

Go to solution Solved by Chris Fortune,

I would say yes it is worth the extra, I have mine on the exact same motherboard under a 240 AIO and it clocks superbly under PBO, I can regularly get 4.6 all core and have seen 4.9 on single core with flashes of 5.

I would say that $1595 for any 3080 is so way over priced that it's not funny though. If that is genuinely the pricing you have atm then get a cheap stopgap card till the prices com down at least a little, I know the tariff situation in the USA has screwed your prices a bit but that is scalping level

Hello, I have recently been buying parts for a somewhat high end pc, contents being either 3070 or a 3080, and a well priced motherboard, however I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the 3900x or the 5900x. I am well aware that the 5900x most likely will require a bios flashback. Is the 5900x worth the extra 50 bucks plus the hassle of the bios flashback, or should just go get the 3900x and wont have to worry about it.

My Planned Build: 

Also, the Motherboard/AIO are not final choices and are subject to change.

(3080 is just a place holder, im not actually going to pay double the MSRP price for it.)

I would say yes it is worth the extra, I have mine on the exact same motherboard under a 240 AIO and it clocks superbly under PBO, I can regularly get 4.6 all core and have seen 4.9 on single core with flashes of 5.

I would say that $1595 for any 3080 is so way over priced that it's not funny though. If that is genuinely the pricing you have atm then get a cheap stopgap card till the prices com down at least a little, I know the tariff situation in the USA has screwed your prices a bit but that is scalping level

The bios thing is no problem.....

Just check that your motherboard support flashing without a CPU not all do.

The 5900x if you can find one is well worth the extra cost especially for gaming.

Alright Thanks, I will also make sure that the Motherboard has the ability to back flash without a last gen cpu. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Ryan Larson said:

Alright Thanks, I will also make sure that the Motherboard has the ability to back flash without a last gen cpu. Thanks!

According to a comment on the PartPicker listing the board specified does not support flashing Bios without a CPU, this is in line with my own experience too. HOwever I have also seen comments that suggest it does.

5 hours ago, Chris Fortune said:

According to a comment on the PartPicker listing the board specified does not support flashing Bios without a CPU, this is in line with my own experience too. HOwever I have also seen comments that suggest it does.

No I don't believe that the ASUS TUF gaming x570 mobo has one. There was an msi motherboard that was roughly 30 dollars more that had bios flashing enabled, that will most likely be the one I get, I just cant remember the name. Either way thanks for the input.