WD BLUE 4TB NOISE

Vampire21

Hello,
I bought a new HDD (Western Digital 4TB Blue 5400 RPM) about a week ago. Every time I start my PC in the morning, it makes weird noise for about a minute and half. I checked for bad sectors but there was none at all. I also checked its speed it goes about 180MBps for both reading and writing, so I don't know if this noise is a normal thing or I should worry about it. By the way, the noise that comes from the PC case started only after I plugged in the HDD, so it's most probably from the HDD and not anything else. I attached a video showing the noise and where it comes from exactly.
You can watch it here.
Is this noise normal or I should go to the store and return it back?

Hello,

If the noise only exists while HDD is plugged in, you probably pin pointed the issue. Drive being new doesn't mean it comes without a fault...to me it sounds like emphasized mechanical sound from drive itself (reminder that HDD uses physical mechanical parts to read and write on it).

Now, the quality of the video isn't the greatest, but there are two foolproof methods to pinpoint the problem; 

- remove the disk: does noise persist?

- plug into another PC: does it make noise there as well?

Not sure if you can replace it if you affirm it's the disk; if it's new, give it a shot.

Good luck.