upgrade to a higher resolution monitor to lose bottleneck??

linusdroppedme

is it true that cpu bottlenecking is non existent with higher resolution monitors? if so, whats the working principle behind this? 

With a higher resolution the GPU has more work to do. Hence it will typically run at lower FPS and require new data from the CPU less often. So it shifts the bottleneck from CPU more towards the GPU. Obviously this depends on how powerful your GPU is.

~edit: Just to be clear: Some component is always going to limit your performance. At low resolution/high refresh rate this is most likely your CPU. It higher resolutions this is more likely your GPU.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, linusdroppedme said:

is it true that cpu bottlenecking is non existent with higher resolution monitors? if so, whats the working principle behind this? 

Nope thats not how it works. Its like saying having bigger windshield makes your car go faster. If there were to be any performance improvement, it should be the other way around. Adding a higher resolution will not magically improve your CPU performance.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

27 minutes ago, linusdroppedme said:

Depends on alot of things. The game, cpu and gpu. Whats your specs?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

Depends on alot of things. The game, cpu and gpu. Whats your specs?

7700k at 4.6ghz, a 1060 oc, 16gb ddr4 basically

5 minutes ago, linusdroppedme said:

7700k at 4.6ghz, a 1060 oc, 16gb ddr4 basically

Would make sense to upgrade to 1440p, if you upgraded the GPU. You could OC 7700K to 5ghz.. Oh you are alrady on 4.6ghz. Dosen't it run okay with that combo? Seem like a good match. I didn't have problems with my 4790k@stock, which is very similar to 7700k in terms of performance in 1080p with 1080ti. That said, in most games.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

16 minutes ago, linusdroppedme said:

The GPU has to "shade", compute the color for each pixel in every frame. If you only push the resolution higher, the CPU will do the same thing but the GPU has to shade more pixels.

Resolution is not the only option you have. Any game settings that more demanding on the GPU will have similar effect. Anti aliasing for example.

ಠ_ಠ

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Would make sense to upgrade to 1440p, if you upgraded the GPU. You could OC 7700K to 5ghz. I would delid that puppy!

any tips on how to boost it to a stable 5ghz without delid?, water cooling for example?

13 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Would make sense to upgrade to 1440p, if you upgraded the GPU. You could OC 7700K to 5ghz.. Oh you are alrady on 4.6ghz. Dosen't it run okay with that combo? Seem like a good match. I didn't have problems with my 4790k@stock, which is very similar to 7700k in terms of performance in 1080p with 1080ti. That said, in most games.

planning to upgrade to a 3060ti next month (if i could find one at msrp) and to add another 16gb of memory, do you think it could go 4k at 100fps in most games?

60 fps is not my sweet spot tbh, i always factor in world changes like how many npcs are on screen and how fast it changes in an open world game.

i can hit cyberpunk at 35-70 fps at the ultimate lowest setting (still at 1080p)

and yes it runs great in a few games that i actually play, but im not comfortable for the future, in most modern AAA games, its uhh debatable

21 minutes ago, linusdroppedme said:

any tips on how to boost it to a stable 5ghz without delid?, water cooling for example?

Nope, delid that puppy.. Don't be afraid

FS in Denmark/EU:

18 minutes ago, linusdroppedme said:

planning to upgrade to a 3060ti next month (if i could find one at msrp) and to add another 16gb of memory, do you think it could go 4k at 100fps in most games?

60 fps is not my sweet spot tbh, i always factor in world changes like how many npcs are on screen and how fast it changes in an open world game.

i can hit cyberpunk at 35-70 fps at the ultimate lowest setting (still at 1080p)

and yes it runs great in a few games that i actually play, but im not comfortable for the future, in most modern AAA games, its uhh debatable

Cyberpunk.. Yes if you check benchmarks, thats quite normal. No that combo isn't future proof. You need to save up for some of the new stuff. Maybe a 5600x + some gpu in your price bracket. There will be some cheaper (yet still expensive) options in the future

FS in Denmark/EU: