Strange crash behavior after upgrade from GTX 970 to RTX 3070

Cyano
Go to solution Solved by Cyano,

fixed, was the psu

Yesterday I upgraded my old GTX 970 to an RTX 3070, without changing anything on my old Haswell System (specs below). After playing a bit I crashed (full reboot) in some games, and my motherboard would say "power surge detected". To find the issue I disabled the warning, just to find out that my PC still crashes. After reading up online I concluded that its most likely a power supply issue caused by some heavy spikes on the new GPU, so I bought a new Seasonic 750W, which will arrive soon.

The strange thing is that I can reproduce a crash in Red Dead Redemption 2 where I crash with 50% CPU, 50%gpu usage when looking at the sky, while my frames are capped to 80, so the usage stays down. When I look straight I don't crash.

Is there anything that might be worth trying, if the power supply upgrade doesn't fix the issue? Before sending back the new hardware, or things I haven't considered? Any help would be appreciated.

My specs:

Windows 10 x64, no oem, Desktop
Seasonic SSR-550RM
Asus Maximus Vii Ranger
Vengeance LP™ Memory — 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K, 4.5 GHz (I know I should upgrade, but thats not the problem here)
RTX 3070 Asus dual OC
2 old SSDs and one HDD
Edited by Cyano
CPU bottleneck

5 minutes ago, Cyano said:

Yesterday I upgraded my old GTX 970 to an RTX 3070, without changing anything on my old Haswell System (specs below). After playing a bit I crashed (full reboot) in some games, and my motherboard would say "power surge detected". To find the issue I disabled the warning, just to find out that my PC still crashes. After reading up online I concluded that its most likely a power supply issue caused by some heavy spikes on the new GPU, so I bought a new Seasonic 750W, which will arrive soon.

The strange thing is that I can reproduce a crash in Red Dead Redemption 2 where I crash with 50% CPU, 50%gpu usage when looking at the sky, while my frames are capped to 80, so the usage stays down. When I look straight I don't crash.

Is there anything that might be worth trying, if the power supply upgrade doesn't fix the issue? Before sending back the new hardware, or things I haven't considered? Any help would be appreciated.

My specs:

Windows 10 x64, no oem, Desktop
Seasonic SSR-550RM
Asus Maximus Vii Ranger
Vengeance LP™ Memory — 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K, 4.5 GHz
RTX 3070 Asus dual OC
2 old SSDs and one HDD

your cpu is bottlenecking 

get an third gen ryzen

or an 8th gen intel at least

4 minutes ago, myb54 said:

your cpu is bottlenecking 

get an third gen ryzen

or an 8th gen intel at least

I know, but thats not the problem. I will do a cpu upgrade later. A bottleneck should not cause a crash. And its only rly a problem in cpu intensiv games, I am mostly happy with my fps.

Most likely the PSU, so just come back if it's not fixed with the new one. Pointless to speculate until then.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Most likely the PSU, so just come back if it's not fixed with the new one. Pointless to speculate until then.

sure, will close it tomorrow if it is fixed or give an update here.

Yeah for sure get another power supply.

There are good recommendations here in tier list.

I had same problem on my asus board with current PSU.

The problem happened because of a GPU which required more power over 2x8pin connectors.

It doesn't mean that PSU is faulty it's just can't give enough power over 12 V rail for GPU.

So for sure get the one which can on 12 V rail.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Yeah it's likely power supply... probably your cpu is drawing quite a lot of power too? 

Just weird I'm running a 500w psu and no issues whatsoever with a 3070... 

Btw, things you can try:

Install studio drivers 

set power limit to 90

reduce core clock by 25-50

reduce memory clock (at least by 100)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper