Create a server with two graphic cards

rcalecomte

Budget (including currency): I already have all the parts

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Plex Media Server and Minecraft Server

Other details: i5-6600K with 16 GB DDR4-3000 (2x8 GB), GTX 1060 and GTX 1070

I'm planning of creating a server for both Plex and Minecraft with spare parts taken from previous builds. I have two graphic cards and I would like to assign each of them to a different task (one for Minecraft Server and the other one for PMS).

What I am looking for is a way to achieve this. Should I use windows (or linux) and assign a different graphic card to each task? (I'm not even sure it is possible) Should I use unraid and create two VMs with their own dedicated graphic card?

The idea would be to have some transcoding on one card while the Minecraft Server runs on the other but the CPU could limit all of that.

As long as I can access the server remotely, I don't mind which OS is being used.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

For the minecraft server you will not need a dedicated GPU. Its command line and need no 3D whatsoever.

You can just use the 1060 for hardware encoding for the Plex server (note that this is a paid service, so if you are running the free version the GPU also wont matter)

Both of them will be controlled from another computer anyway in most cases

Thanks Dujith. I do have a lifetime license for PMS and if Minecraft Server doesn't run on a graphic card, this solves my problem.