Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it worth overclocking GTX 1060 6GB?

Is it worth overclocking GTX 1060 6GB? I got a new case with MUCH better cooling and a new PSU with more power than before. I also applied better thermal paster on my GPU. Now I should have the power and cooling to OC my GTX 1060 6GB. But is it worth the risk or is it worth it for the extra FPS? Would i even get noticable better FPS? 

Specs:

GTX 1060 6GB with standard cooler + Noctua NT-H2 paste

i7-8700 + BeQuiet! Rock Slim cooler + Noctua NT-H2 paste

DDR4-2400 16GB

BeQuiet Power 9 500W PSU

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 with 4x Silen Wings 2 140mm (2x intake in fron, 1x outtake on top, 1x outtake in the back)

If you need any other specs or infos, please let me know.

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

what "risk" are you talking about?

if you slowly edit the settings and you're patient then you can easily get extra performance out of your card.

the only way i'd say it could be dangerous is if you decide "haha voltage go BRRRRR" and slam it to max without thinking,

just do minor tweaks and run stress tests to check if the card can handle them, if it hits a point where it can't handle, then turn it down a little bit

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Just now, flashiling said:

what "risk" are you talking about?

if you slowly edit the settings and you're patient then you can easily get extra performance out of your card.

the only way i'd say it could be dangerous is if you decide "haha voltage go BRRRRR" and slam it to max without thinking,

just do minor tweaks and run stress tests to check if the card can handle them, if it hits a point where it can't handle, then turn it down a little bit

Well with risk I meant the risk of my stupid ass killing my GPU since it would be my first OC. I know, when done right, there is no risk. The risk is me not doing it correctly... But as you said - if I do small tiny steps - there should not be any risk. Also, the "voltage go BRRRRRRRRRR" made my day haha thank you very much.

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

1 minute ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Well with risk I meant the risk of my stupid ass killing my GPU since it would be my first OC. I know, when done right, there is no risk. The risk is me not doing it correctly... But as you said - if I do small tiny steps - there should not be any risk. Also, the "voltage go BRRRRRRRRRR" made my day haha thank you very much.

i also know that many local computer stores will do overcloks for you (for a price obviously), so if you're too nervous to try yourself and you have the money available then that is also an option, however it could be a bit expensive for a minior gain so i would only suggest doing that if you're buying an entirely new system

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Do you know what msi afterburner is? You can simply just adjust gpu and memory clocks, its just simply a slider you can pull, if you pull it to high and stress you gpu (I recommend FurMark) the application will crash, you also have to set the power limit to as high as possible

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: *planned* CPU: AMD 5600X / 5800X | GPU: 3070ti (When released) | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280 (Planning for custom watercooling in spring 2021 after I bought the GPU) | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC: CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

Just now, flashiling said:

i also know that many local computer stores will do overcloks for you (for a price obviously), so if you're too nervous to try yourself and you have the money available then that is also an option, however it could be a bit expensive for a minior gain so i would only suggest doing that if you're buying an entirely new system

Oh that could be very interesting, sadly with Covied right now everything is closed here in my country... I think I will justt watch a few overclocking tutorials/guides and see if I feel comfortable enough to try it myself. Thanks for helping me out!

1 minute ago, Enzo1001 said:

Do you know what msi afterburner is? You can simply just adjust gpu and memory clocks, its just simply a slider you can pull, if you pull it to high and stress you gpu (I recommend FurMark) the application will crash, you also have to set the power limit to as high as possible

I actually use Afterburner to watch my temps. Although I never touched the clockspeed or similar. If I overclock I will definetly do it with Afterburner. Also thanks for the idea/info with FurMark, I sure will check it out!

4 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

I actually use Afterburner to watch my temps. Although I never touched the clockspeed or similar. If I overclock I will definetly do it with Afterburner. Also thanks for the idea/info with FurMark, I sure will check it out!

I would just adjust the GPU, memory speeds and the power and Temp limit. I wouldnt touch the voltage just if you know what you are doing (havent done it either)

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: *planned* CPU: AMD 5600X / 5800X | GPU: 3070ti (When released) | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280 (Planning for custom watercooling in spring 2021 after I bought the GPU) | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC: CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

1 minute ago, Enzo1001 said:

I would just adjust the GPU, memory speeds and the power and Temp limit. I wouldnt touch the voltage just if you know what you are doing (havent done it either)

Yes - the Voltage is what kind of makes it sound scary in my opinion. but with the new PSU, Thermal Paste and Cooling I will definetly be able to pump up the power limits without hitting my temp limits. Memory speed also sounds very interesting. I will watch a few videos about that too and see what fits good for my PC. Thank you!

38 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Yes - the Voltage is what kind of makes it sound scary in my opinion. but with the new PSU, Thermal Paste and Cooling I will definetly be able to pump up the power limits without hitting my temp limits. Memory speed also sounds very interesting. I will watch a few videos about that too and see what fits good for my PC. Thank you!

Stock bios won't let you overvolt so much that you would probably damage your gpu.
Get a base reading set with core clock and memory clock while power limit is max. And then go from there.
Under stress-test my sweetspot for temp is 85*C max, temps will be lower while gaming (however depends on game and stress-test software used).

Though overclocking in the long run might decrease the lifespan of your GPU.

JayzTwoCents made a good video "Beginners Guide to understanding Video Cards and Settings" at the beggining of december 2020 which could help you understand things.
Also Linus and other youtubers have good videos about overclocking GPUs.

|| i7-4790k | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Corsair RM650i 80+ Gold | Corsair 200R ||

1 minute ago, Popi said:

Stock bios won't let you overvolt so much that you would probably damage your gpu.
Get a base reading set with core clock and memory clock while power limit is max. And then go from there.
Under stress-test my sweetspot for temp is 85*C max, temps will be lower while gaming.

Overclocking in the long run might decrease the lifespan of your GPU.

JayzTwoCents made a good video "Beginners Guide to understanding Video Cards and Settings" at the beggining of december 2020 which could help you understand things.
Also Linus and other youtubers have good videos about overclocking GPUs.

Thank you for the info and the video tip! I will check it out as soon as possible. I also aim for the lower to mid 80°C as my max temp under a full load. Maybe I will get under 70°C in games with my new cooling equipment.

You don't need to touch the voltage at all... in almost all cases completely useless and I wouldn't recommend it either way until you have 'some' experience at least... 

I do recommend to watch some videos on how to oc your card (the more specific the better)... 

it's freaking simple in fact, and good for about 5-10 fps on average, I'd say... so don't expect too much but these gains can be decent imo. 

6 hours ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

80°C as my max temp under a full load. Maybe I will get under 70°C in games with my new cooling equipment.

keep in mind 1000 series cards start down clocking at about 60c (in fact earlier but that's where you see differences in performance) so you should aim for that, provided you have a decently cooled card, personally my cards are never above ~60c otherwise it's a return... but of course I do my research before buying 

For example EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 "overclocked" 

2000 MHz *stable*

20201218_222245.thumb.jpg.c871e53a8197849461ca67ee08acce1d.jpg

I'm actually one of those people who thinks that anonymity is overrated. Some people confuse privacy and anonymity and think they go hand in hand, and that protecting privacy means that you need to protect anonymity. I think that's wrong. Anonymity is important if you're a whistle-blower, but if you cannot prove your identity, your crazy rant on some social-media platform shouldn't be visible, and you shouldn't be able to share it or like it.

Linus Torvalds 

35 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

You don't need to touch the voltage at all... in almost all cases completely useless and I wouldn't recommend it either way until you have 'some' experience at least... 

I do recommend to watch some videos on how to oc your card (the more specific the better)... 

it's freaking simple in fact, and good for about 5-10 fps on average, I'd say... so don't expect too much but these gains can be decent imo. 

keep in mind 1000 series cards start down clocking at about 60c (in fact earlier but that's where you see differences in performance) so you should aim for that, provided you have a decently cooled card, personally my cards are never above ~60c otherwise it's a return... but of course I do my research before buying 

For example EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 "overclocked" 

2000 MHz *stable*

20201218_222245.thumb.jpg.c871e53a8197849461ca67ee08acce1d.jpg

Thank you for all the infos! 2GHz is actually really good for a 1070, especially with these temps... I am very impressed.