Connected a PMW to an rgb header

I connected my PWM connector that is attached to my fan hub to the 12v rgb header on my motherboard. When I turned on my case fans aren't spinning anymore and the led lights are stuck on stagnant with different colors. The computer itself is working normally and there isn't seem to be any visible damage on the motherboard. Did I fry my fans? Did I fry my rgb header? Is it just the fan hub that is broken? Are there any damage that it dealt that I should know about? Please I'm really anxious and desperately need help. Thank you in advance for help, you are a great person.

Mobo: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

Fans: Techware Orbis F1 kit (4 fans)

More info:

It's seems that the rgb header is 12v according to the mobo manual.

The fan is...

Dimensions: 1200x120x25 mm

Fan Blade: 9

Fan LEDs: 8 Inner LEDs

Rated Voltage/Current: 12V Fan (0.2A), 5V LED (0.3A)

StatrupVoltage: 5-13.8V(Fan), 5V (LED)

BearingType: Hydro Bearing

Fan Speed: 900-1500 ±10%

Air Flow: 56.7 CFM

Air Pressure: 1.15mm H20

Max Noise Level: 26.5 dBA

I would say it's hard to tell, only way is to test the fan and header with appropriate connections

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

Two questions.

1. Since it seems this board is using "standard" connector, how did you even managed to connect PWM to that header? Pins are way different and the latch is missing.
  2. Do you remember what orientation the PWM was?

Mobo is probably fine since voltage matches, and the hub shouldn't supply anything to that direction. But since you may have supplied 12V through PWM wire to controller, it might be busted. Fans themselves might be ok, depending how well the controller unit is made. Like if its only controller which is busted.

As side note, that mobo's manual has typo with RGB header. The header doesn't have GND like the manual suggests, its 12V, Green, Blue, Red.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

Two questions.

1. Since it seems this board is using "standard" connector, how did you even managed to connect PWM to that header? Pins are way different and the latch is missing.
  2. Do you remember what orientation the PWM was?

Mobo is probably fine since voltage matches, and the hub shouldn't supply anything to that direction. But since you may have supplied 12V through PWM wire to controller, it might be busted. Fans themselves might be ok, depending how well the controller unit is made. Like if its only controller which is busted.

As side note, that mobo's manual has typo with RGB header. The header doesn't have GND like the manual suggests, its 12V, Green, Blue, Red.

1. The rgb header has 4 pins and the pwm has 4 holes in it. My ignorance thought that it might go with each other and for some reason, it fits but not all the way through so I thought it was ok. I ignored the latch because I thought it was fine, please excuse my dumbness.

2. If I recall correctly, the pmw was connected with the latch on top and the header was oriented vertically. So it's like this on the picture and corresponds with the color I put.

Thanks so much for responding and I'll be waiting fpr your reply.

images.png.3fbc2db3bd595e86642394ec50e28e1a.pngIMG_20210119_082821.jpg.87cc72f5eaf90ed98c3b6119c78598d1.jpgIMG_20210119_082259.jpg.7357d6f81f13b03139bd73b99f24e936.jpg

images (2).jpeg

1 hour ago, Kurt Justine said:

1. The rgb header has 4 pins and the pwm has 4 holes in it. My ignorance thought that it might go with each other and for some reason, it fits but not all the way through so I thought it was ok. I ignored the latch because I thought it was fine, please excuse my dumbness.

2. If I recall correctly, the pmw was connected with the latch on top and the header was oriented vertically. So it's like this on the picture and corresponds with the color I put.

Thanks so much for responding and I'll be waiting fpr your reply.

images.png.3fbc2db3bd595e86642394ec50e28e1a.pngIMG_20210119_082821.jpg.87cc72f5eaf90ed98c3b6119c78598d1.jpgIMG_20210119_082259.jpg.7357d6f81f13b03139bd73b99f24e936.jpg

images (2).jpeg

Ok, so looks like it might be only PWM cable and /or part where it's connected that's damaged. Noting that I'm guessing. Looks like you had 12V in correct whole, but there wasn't any ground in place where hub was expecting such.

So fans themselves might be fine. Problem is that with these cheap kits they are using proprietary connectors. Which means that fans only work with that hub and other way around.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

50 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Ok, so looks like it might be only PWM cable and /or part where it's connected that's damaged. Noting that I'm guessing. Looks like you had 12V in correct whole, but there wasn't any ground in place where hub was expecting such.

So fans themselves might be fine. Problem is that with these cheap kits they are using proprietary connectors. Which means that fans only work with that hub and other way around.

Thank you so much brother/sister. This really helped me feel at ease.