RTX 3070 issues... don't know what to do anymore

TonyTheNain

I'm really getting desperate here.

I don't know what to do anymore since I pretty much did everything I could think of.

So I upgraded GPU 2 days ago (Titan Xp to 3070. Brand new one). 

Installed the GPU on the motherboard, cleared everything with DDU and installed drivers 461.09. 

It was the best upgrade I did in a long time, eveything worked perfectly... until I restarted my computer.

Now here's the problems:

-When I launch a game, there is this weird subtle red tint that appears on the screen and disappears when I close the game.

-I had really good FPS with the Titan on every game I played. Now every game is stuck under 10 FPS. The GPU is at 100% usage....

Every step of troubleshooting I did:

-Reinstalled the drivers 4 times (DDU)

-Changed the cables of the PSU a bunch of times

-Changed the displayport cable

-Changed the PCIe slot a bunch of times (weird thing is: when I unplug the GPU from a PCIe slot, and put it back in, everything works perfectly again until I restart my PC)

-I reinstalled Windows....

CPU: 8700k OC'd at 5

RAM: 32Gb

PSU: 1000W Plat

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio

Monitor: Odyssey G7 32 1440p

Could it be a faulty card? Drivers? Other components?

What do I do now?

If it's still doing that after a reformat, it's not a software issue.

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

3 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

If it's still doing that after a reformat, it's not a software issue.

Faulty card? Motherboard? (The motherboard was functioning perfectly with the previous GPU if it's the faulty thing here).

And as I said, each time I plug the GPU in a PCIe slot, it works as it is supposed to, but when I restart the computer (without moving the PCIe), it goes back to not working properly.

It's probably the card. When you put your Titan XP back in, is it business as usual? 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

I have to agree it is probably the card.

But a personal word of caution: I had to send my MSI RTX 3070 (Ventus 3X OC) back from RMA after only a week (ugh!!!) back in early December. Six weeks later the issue STILL isn't resolved yet and is starting to get rather frustrating in dealing with the warranty with the MSI RMA.

You definitely want to check out everything you can first before concluding it's the card if there's even a 1% chance it could be something else.

That being said I would next run OCCT (https://www.ocbase.com) to see if it comes up with any errors, and to see if when it's testing your card if you get the same issue with the red tint or not.

It might also be worth it to check for a firmware update for your motherboard.

Have you tried seeing if the problem occurs when not overclocking your CPU? Going back to more conservative CPU and RAM settings in your BIOS?

In my case it was 100% clear that it was a hardware issue with the MSI card, but if I was only 99% clear I would have stuck in a different hard drive temporarily and put in a completely fresh install of Windows to eliminate any software issue as a possibility.

Sending it in for service, at least at this time should be the very, very last option. And I would still think of another option strongly (like maybe testing it on a friend's gaming PC) before actually pursuing it.

If you want to see what may be in store for you if you have to seek warranty service on an MSI RTX 30-series, take a Xanax first, then look at my post on their subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/k87idy/is_this_a_sign_of_bad_vram_on_my_msi_geforce_rtx/

Just to be clear, I'm still hopeful the issue is going to get resolved. I'm extremely persistent and not intimidated in a situation like this. But the best solution is to avoid it if at all possible.

31 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

It's probably the card. When you put your Titan XP back in, is it business as usual? 

Sold it unfortunately, so I can't test anything.

24 minutes ago, Smurfmaster2000 said:

[...]

I'll test these options

On 1/17/2021 at 3:56 AM, Mark Kaine said:

screen shot, photo? anything?  not that I don't believe it ... I just want to see it and I suppose others too... kinda sounds like faulty card or cables perhaps... 

Still same question as yesterday.................. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

53 minutes ago, Smurfmaster2000 said:

I have to agree it is probably the card.

But a personal word of caution: I had to send my MSI RTX 3070 (Ventus 3X OC) back from RMA after only a week (ugh!!!) back in early December. Six weeks later the issue STILL isn't resolved yet and is starting to get rather frustrating in dealing with the warranty with the MSI RMA.

You definitely want to check out everything you can first before concluding it's the card if there's even a 1% chance it could be something else.

That being said I would next run OCCT (https://www.ocbase.com) to see if it comes up with any errors, and to see if when it's testing your card if you get the same issue with the red tint or not.

It might also be worth it to check for a firmware update for your motherboard.

Have you tried seeing if the problem occurs when not overclocking your CPU? Going back to more conservative CPU and RAM settings in your BIOS?

In my case it was 100% clear that it was a hardware issue with the MSI card, but if I was only 99% clear I would have stuck in a different hard drive temporarily and put in a completely fresh install of Windows to eliminate any software issue as a possibility.

Sending it in for service, at least at this time should be the very, very last option. And I would still think of another option strongly (like maybe testing it on a friend's gaming PC) before actually pursuing it.

If you want to see what may be in store for you if you have to seek warranty service on an MSI RTX 30-series, take a Xanax first, then look at my post on their subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/k87idy/is_this_a_sign_of_bad_vram_on_my_msi_geforce_rtx/

Just to be clear, I'm still hopeful the issue is going to get resolved. I'm extremely persistent and not intimidated in a situation like this. But the best solution is to avoid it if at all possible.

you know... I just read this, I'm trying not to comment on the hilarious nature of this whole thing, but I'm just gonna say, as an ex attorney... do you understand that they can make you basically wait forever? 

Btw I'm not saying this as something against you, just the fact that they're actually offering money to get out of warranty is hilarious, and that they're kinda implying they have no cards (as one of the biggest manufacturers on the planet) is even more hilarious. 

But yeah, honestly good luck, and I think the best thing would be to sue them for whatever the cheapest "available" card on ebay or something cost... lol... 

Of course the chances for something like this are slim, it would be however the right thing to do in my opinion  (they already offered money - if true - which is kind of an admission of guilt, or is it not?) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

you know... I just read this, I'm trying not to comment on the hilarious nature of this whole thing, but I'm just gonna say, as an ex attorney... do you understand that they can make you basically wait forever? 

Btw I'm not saying this as something against you, just the fact that they're actually offering money to get out of warranty is hilarious, and that they're kinda implying they have no cards (as one of the biggest manufacturers on the planet) is even more hilarious. 

But yeah, honestly good luck, and I think the best thing would be to sue them for whatever the cheapest "available" card on ebay or something cost... lol... 

Of course the chances for something like this are slim, it would be however the right thing to do in my opinion  (they already offered money - if true - which is kind of an admission of guilt, or is it not?) 

The most important takeaway is that apparently, from all that I've been able to gather, offering a lower cash buyout of their obligation under the warranty is actually their default response to much warranty work that can't be "repaired" in the conventional sense of the word (i.e. replacing the fan/heatsink/thermal paste/re-flashing firmware, etc.). I don't know if other GPU makers do that, but everything points to MSI... even irrespective of the 30-series, doing that by default. I presume though, this is if they either don't have, or don't prefer, to replace it with a same or newer model. Therefore, I would imagine if it were an older card that they actually had available then they would just replace it versus offering the cash.

So the offering of the cash (in general, not necessarily what they offered specifically, in fact I have a problem with what they offered specifically) is not especially atypical as you might be thinking. It is totally one of the options they can OFFER under US law, but I (nor any other consumer) is not required to accept it.

We'll see how it turns out. I'll post any interesting updates on this thread.

2 hours ago, Smurfmaster2000 said:

is not especially atypical as you might be thinking. It is totally one of the options they can OFFER under US law, but I (nor any other consumer) is not required to accept it.

We'll see how it turns out. I'll post any interesting updates on this thread

oh yeah, this is also possible here in Germany, there's no guaranteed fix in a warranty case obviously, it's just not something you hear often (or at all) usually companies fix or exchange as that's obviously cheaper for them than paying out the retail price... 

It's just interesting MSI apparently has no 3000 cards....... maybe supply dried up or something, but the cards are definitely out there (for about double msrp lol) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

oh yeah, this is also possible here in Germany, there's no guaranteed fix in a warranty case obviously, it's just not something you hear often (or at all) usually companies fix or exchange as that's obviously cheaper for them than paying out the retail price... 

It's just interesting MSI apparently has no 3000 cards....... maybe supply dried up or something, but the cards are definitely out there (for about double msrp lol) 

I talked to someone at microcenter who was returning a card barely outside their window (and they let him) because MSI told him his RMA card wouldn't be shipped for approx 6 months!

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

I talked to someone at microcenter who was returning a card barely outside their window (and they let him) because MSI told him his RMA card wouldn't be shipped for approx 6 months!

Oh wow. And oh @#$!

Thanks for much for sharing that. Super bad news for me in this whole situation that I will have to consider. That's very good about Microcenter for doing that for that person though. +1 cool points in my book for them.

That definitely gives me something to think about.

12 hours ago, Smurfmaster2000 said:

Oh wow. And oh @#$!

Thanks for much for sharing that. Super bad news for me in this whole situation that I will have to consider. That's very good about Microcenter for doing that for that person though. +1 cool points in my book for them.

That definitely gives me something to think about.

I am a little paranoid. This is the first card I have purchased that wasn't EVGA in a very very long time (MSI 3080 X trio) So far I am not overly impressed. I have to wait my 30 days then I will probably start trying to snipe an 3080FTW (though I will have to get ANOTHER water block then).

17 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I am a little paranoid. This is the first card I have purchased that wasn't EVGA in a very very long time (MSI 3080 X trio) So far I am not overly impressed. I have to wait my 30 days then I will probably start trying to snipe an 3080FTW (though I will have to get ANOTHER water block then).

I saw reviews trio x is in the lower tier definitely... it's still not a bad card (I would *probably* trade, but only probably... my card is so cool and silent and outside the meager vram completely overpowered for my needs, I did *not* expect it to be that strong, and I've under clocked and power limited it too lol - although that may be one reason why it's running so smooth / cool) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Dont know if it has been mentioned before. 

Unplug the GPU and clean the contacts with alcohol wait a little for it to vaporize (in the meantime use compressed air or an air can to blow inside all your PCIe slots. ) 

update your bios (not necessary but these days my eyes have seen everything ) 

Also if you are 100% certain you would like to do whatever it takes to avoid sending the card back take your CPU out clean it with alcohol (again seemingly not necessary but my eyes have seen some strange stuff with newer hardware) and blow on the socket (if it is a powerful blower then do that at a distance) if you are not a hardware guy then better ignore that step as during the procedure there is a risk of bending some socket leads which could permanently damage your mobo.   Install the CPU and reapply thermal paste 

Try to plug in your GPU in an other PCIe slot. 

Try to use a different set of cables (if possible )  from your PSU  blugged on a different PSU output slot (again if available) 

GL. 

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I saw reviews trio x is in the lower tier definitely... it's still not a bad card (I would *probably* trade, but only probably... my card is so cool and silent and outside the meager vram completely overpowered for my needs, I did *not* expect it to be that strong, and I've under clocked and power limited it too lol - although that may be one reason why it's running so smooth / cool) 

I think you are mistaking it for the ventus. Though not sure it matters much when the maximum power limit on these cards range from 350w to like 380w on thr higher end cards. 

I mean truthfully all the 3080s are beast and perform within a few percent of each other when overclocked. For me the real difference comes down to support and EVGA wins that by miles.

I dont think the 10gb of vram is going to hinder it at all. I mean maybe at 8k, but you would already have to reduce settings enough to make it playable that it should still be under 10gb. The area it would matter is productivity which is more the 3090 or Quadro range.

People misunderstand a few things. Look at the coming 3060 with 12gb of vram. It might have vram, but when your bus doesn't have enough speed to actually use it effectively it is just a marketing ploy. The 3080 might only have 10gb, but it can access it much much faster which is what really matters.

8 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

think you are mistaking it for the ventus.

nope that's pretty much the joke, it's on par with the ventus, just more expensive (bad cooling etc), also note this was for the 3070, but I don't really see why this would be much different for the 3080, and that review concluded that the "Suprim" was the top option from MSI, on par with other top cards... 

And yes that the difference overall isn't that big might be true, but when you pay top tier prices you may also expect top tier products and not "barely better than Ventus". 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

38 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

nope that's pretty much the joke, it's on par with the ventus, just more expensive (bad cooling etc), also note this was for the 3070, but I don't really see why this would be much different for the 3080, and that review concluded that the "Suprim" was the top option from MSI, on par with other top cards... 

And yes that the difference overall isn't that big might be true, but when you pay top tier prices you may also expect top tier products and not "barely better than Ventus". 🤔

For me it is all moot since I slap on a waterblock anyways. It just comes down to power limit and all of them are pretty limited atm.

7 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

For me it is all moot since I slap on a waterblock anyways. It just comes down to power limit and all of them are pretty limited atm.

Even the EVGA? 

EkVn69TVkAEvrQF.jpeg.thumb.jpg.2a82a020fabb4b1513c02af3599f4a1c.jpg

Thats a freaking 450W! I'd say that's plenty? 😁

(it's a bios update, 3090 received similar afaik) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

34 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Even the EVGA? 

EkVn69TVkAEvrQF.jpeg.thumb.jpg.2a82a020fabb4b1513c02af3599f4a1c.jpg

Thats a freaking 450W! I'd say that's plenty? 😁

(it's a bios update, 3090 received similar afaik) 

Ya, but reportedly the increase didn't do much to improve clocks. I meant on ln2 it might help a bit, but even on water it doesn't look like it is making much of a difference.

I am sure a bios hack or flash can help bring it up a little for most cards, but it is still to early to know the full extent.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I'm entering week 9 of my efforts to get service under the warranty.

So, conditioned on providing the proof of purchase (which I was able to provide, even though I am in the US and would dispute this necessity) MSI says they will send me a new, non-refurbished, non-service replacement unit of my RTX 3070 Ventus X3 OC, but with no current ETA.

I will post further updates as the situation develops, hopefully it will be good news.