RX 580 seems to be preventing new system from booting

madjimmie

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the forum (hope I'm doing this all right), I've exhausted my Personal Troubleshooting ability and those around me. And hoping someone has seen something similar. 

So I decided to upgrade my old system i7-3930K, P9X79 Pro, 8x 8gb 1600Mhz, Corsair RX800 PSU and was going to wait to update my graphics card until later, ya know... Money...

So I have an i7-10700KA, a Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master, 4x 8gb Crucial Ballistic 3200 Mhz, Corsair cx750F (RGB) PSU, and a 1tb NVME WD Black

I installed the system and the RX 580, it worked great, for a day or two. and one night the computer went to sleep and wouldn't turn on. When I tried to wake the machine it would click, the fans/LED's would kick on and then immediately cut off. Powered the machine off and back on, same thing it would "turn on" fans spinning LED's on and with out any post codes or beeps click off. I tried different cables to the Graphics card, the Y splitter that came with it ect. No joy. 

I ordered the same PSU, thinking, well, given it was powering on and immediately powering off it must by a bad unit.

after replacing the power supply system works, but again, goes to sleep and stops working.

Now I'll save you reading a lot of cursing and troubleshooting I did.

But eventually I came to the conclusion that if I removed the card, cleared the CMOS booted off of the integrated graphics powered off and replaced the card (put it in the system) it would work for one boot, and work while it was on.

So I thought, well, shoot, my Graphics card must have gone out. But, one last ditch effort, I put it back in my old system, and it is working fine. 

so long story short, graphics card in new system causes it to go up and down with no MB code's, or beeps, or anything. (happy to post a video if that would help) but put it in the old PC and it runs absolutely fine. With the Graphics card out of the new system (i7-10700KA and Aorus Master), the system runs perfectly fine off of the internal Graphics. I've updated the MB bios, and installed/updated all the drivers, I reflashed the RX 580 I bought this used from ebay over a year ago, and was concerned the card had a mining bios on it or something unusual. (I put the card in the old system i7-3930k, after flashing bios, I also ran the card for around a year with what ever bios it had, the reason I thought the bios was funny was because when the new system booted the Aorus splash screen was pixelated and covered in artifacts, after the flash, it was clear, but still had the weird non booting issue.

thanks for reading, happy to answer any and all questions, and I would love any advice? I can't decide if the lost 50Watt's between the power supply is the issue, but the 750 should be more then enough? Also, don't want to buy a new graphics card to find that this is the freaking MB issue or something I've over looked (I can't test the old PSU on the new rig as it doesn't have the appropriate CPU connections.

I apologize this is rambling. 

Could be a conflict with the internal card.

Is there an option to turn off the internal graphics card in the BIOS?

I mean, this does kinda sound like a motherboard issue. A 750 watt should be more than able to run a RX 580 (I've seen them run on 450w PSUs coming from SIs like Cyberpower).  Also, you can try running the old PSU on it, a CPU doesn't need the full 8+8 EPS, as I've run systems like that with only 4 pin EPS connector, it just doesn't overclock as well or boost as high.

Just now, GroundRod said:

Could be a conflict with the internal card.

Is there an option to turn off the internal graphics card in the BIOS?

Hey, so something I forgot to mention before, when I slap the card in and I boot into the BIOS I get "Clear CMOS information" Header, and "BIOS has been reset Please re-configure your BIOS setup items if needed." but that's every time after I put the card in or remove it I get that, but I disabled the integrated Graphics, hit save and exit and it wouldn't boot. (still the one boot no restart/sleep and power on after)

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, this does kinda sound like a motherboard issue. A 750 watt should be more than able to run a RX 580 (I've seen them run on 450w PSUs coming from SIs like Cyberpower).  Also, you can try running the old PSU on it, a CPU doesn't need the full 8+8 EPS, as I've run systems like that with only 4 pin EPS connector, it just doesn't overclock as well or boost as high.

Given that you think it might be a MB is it worth trying the old power supply? is there any way for me to test my motherboard to see if it is good?

Edited by madjimmie
I said CMOS instead of BIOS

5 minutes ago, madjimmie said:

Given that you think it might be a MB is it worth trying the old power supply? is there any way for me to test my motherboard to see if it is good?

The only real way to test the motherboard would be to try another one, or try it in another system. The only real reason to test the power supply would be to absolutely confirm that it isn't the issue, but the likelihood of that being the issue in your specific situation is very low. RMAing your motherboard would probably be the best idea.

The only real way to test the motherboard would be to try another one, or try it in another system. The only real reason to test the power supply would be to absolutely confirm that it isn't the issue, but the likelihood of that being the issue in your specific situation is very low. RMAing your motherboard would probably be the best idea.

well that's fair, super disappointing but fair. I've tried with only 1 ram dim and different one's and that didn't change anything, one of my friends suggested that a minute ago, so for those following along figured I'd update what I've tried. Thanks though I'll see if NewEgg will RMA it. 

Also I suggest that (even ignoring my username) you try any distro of Linux like Ubuntu for a little bit (if you haven't already) just to rule out any software issues, as an OS is surprising complicated (at least probably to the majority of people) these days and can greatly influence things even on a direct hardware level.

Just now, linuxChips2600 said:

Also I suggest that (even ignoring my username) you try any distro of Linux like Ubuntu for a little bit (if you haven't already) just to rule out any software issues, as an OS is surprising complicated (at least probably to the majority of people) these days and can greatly influence things even on a direct hardware level.

I've heard that and wanted to avoid it because I'm a grumpy old man (at heart) but would you suggest removing the NVME with windows and using a different drive, or would leaving it in and just booting from another drive be enough?

1 minute ago, madjimmie said:

I've heard that and wanted to avoid it because I'm a grumpy old man (at heart) but would you suggest removing the NVME with windows and using a different drive, or would leaving it in and just booting from another drive be enough?

If the system boots and them immediately shuts off, the odds of it being an operating system problem are low at best. I would try to just use a live USB and maybe remove the NVMe drive to see if that fixes it, but I have doubts if that would do anything. Feel free to prove me wrong though

If the system boots and them immediately shuts off, the odds of it being an operating system problem are low at best. I would try to just use a live USB and maybe remove the NVMe drive to see if that fixes it, but I have doubts if that would do anything. Feel free to prove me wrong though

that was my thought too, since it wont get a post code or even get far enough to get a code lol

Alright guys, if anyone is still following along, or has any good info.

I've replaced my board, and error persists....

replaced PSU, replaced Ram, tested ram with mem86, works great if it goes to sleep it will not boot up, and I have to remove the card, it will boot, then once it goes to sleep I'm SOL

current BIOS, updated drivers ect, I haven't been able to get a different graphics card, I've powered over forums and the best I could find is a couple setting for power supply but that hasn't fixed it either. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.