Extremely high temps with NH-D15

Hi, so I recently bought NH-D15 Chromax Black as a temporal replacement for faulty H115i Pro RGB and I expected little to no difference. I was so wrong. CPU is idling at 70C and under load it goes up to 96C. I have already tried to reaply thermal paste 2 times and it didnt help much. Is there something I can do to fix it?

My PC:

Case: NZXT H440

CPU: AMD 3950X

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black

MB: AsRock X570 Taichi

RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4x16GB 3200Mhz

GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 1080 Ti

PSU: Corsair AX860

Fans: Bequiet Silent Wings 3 (3x120mm front, 1x140mm rear)

Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB, Adata SX8200 500GB, 6x Seagate IronWolf 6TB

Are you sure it's mounted correctly? When I installed my NH-D15 I was surprised at how long I had to spend screwing it in before it bottomed out.  

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

I am pretty sure it is mounted correctly. Every time I was mounting it, I bottomed out the screws. I even watched some YT video about mounting it last time.

10 minutes ago, Milos97 said:

I am pretty sure it is mounted correctly. Every time I was mounting it, I bottomed out the screws. I even watched some YT video about mounting it last time.

Ensure the cooler's cold plate at least gets semi close to touching the CPU. Also, what thermal paste are you using and how are you applying it?

2 minutes ago, Ty2525 said:

Ensure the cooler's cold plate at least gets semi close to touching the CPU. Also, what thermal paste are you using and how are you applying it?

When I was reaplying thermal paste it seemed like cold plate and cpu were touching very closely. I am using Noctua NH-1 opened 13 months ago. (Maybe the thermal paste expired meanwhile but I doubt it.) First time I tried putting cca 6mm drop of thermal paste on cpu, second time I tried X shape and the last time I tried spreading it over the CPU heatsink. And as I said there is almost no difference between the attempts.

5 minutes ago, Milos97 said:

When I was reaplying thermal paste it seemed like cold plate and cpu were touching very closely. I am using Noctua NH-1 opened 13 months ago. (Maybe the thermal paste expired meanwhile but I doubt it.) First time I tried putting cca 6mm drop of thermal paste on cpu, second time I tried X shape and the last time I tried spreading it over the CPU heatsink. And as I said there is almost no difference between the attempts.

Touch the fins and if possible the copper pipes. Do they get hot? At those temps it sounds like the heat isn't making it to the fins. Should go without saying, but be careful with touching the pipes, they get hot. Still sounds like a mounting issue. 

Make sure the cooler is being tightened gradually instead of one side before the other. 

What's the thermal paste spread look like when removing the cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, Ty2525 said:

Touch the fins and if possible the copper pipes. Do they get hot? At those temps it sounds like the heat isn't making it to the fins. Should go without saying, but be careful with touching the pipes, they get hot. Still sounds like a mounting issue. 

So I tried running CPU stress test for few minutes and I tried to touch fins and copper pipes when it was running. They were hot but not unbearably hot. (I could rest my fingers on it for quite long time.)

2 minutes ago, Milos97 said:

So I tried running CPU stress test for few minutes and I tried to touch fins and copper pipes when it was running. They were hot but not unbearably hot. (I could rest my fingers on it for quite long time.)

Yeah as the other person said, take a pic of the thermal paste spread after removing the cooler and upload it here.

29 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Make sure the cooler is being tightened gradually instead of one side before the other. 

What's the thermal paste spread look like when removing the cooler?

I was tightening it gradually. Seems like i put there too much paste but given the small amount of it on CPU heatsink, I think the contact was good.

20210118_031225.jpg

Too much won't affect temps. Though, be careful about it getting in the socket. If you remove the CPU make sure to clean it off. Otherwise looks good. Looks like bad paste though. If you have access to something new like mx-4 then you should try that. 

6 minutes ago, Ty2525 said:

Too much won't affect temps. Though, be careful about it getting in the socket. If you remove the CPU make sure to clean it off. Otherwise looks good. Looks like bad paste though. If you have access to something new like mx-4 then you should try that. 

I can try the included one in the box. (eventhough its the same model it might work better)

does the cooler come with a piece of plastic tape on the bottom? did you remove it?

1 minute ago, narrdarr said:

does the cooler come with a piece of plastic tape on the bottom? did you remove it?

There was no plastic tape, just plastic cover and yes, ive removed it.

Well, even the "new" thermal paste didnt help. Guess I will have to live with those fans ramping up after just opening some program until I get back H115i.

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

What are the temps with the side panel off?

They are almost the same.

If your CLC idles lower then something is up with your mount. You sure your using the proper pieces? 

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

I am looking at the manual and indeed I did use the proper parts.

19 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Can you take a few pics of the cooler from different angles?

20210118_200016.jpg

20210118_200005.jpg

20210118_195941.jpg

20210118_195934.jpg

20210118_195839.jpg

It does look pretty good in black!

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

43 minutes ago, Milos97 said:

20210118_200016.jpg

20210118_200005.jpg

20210118_195941.jpg

20210118_195934.jpg

20210118_195839.jpg

That's nice and all. But I meant not installed. So we can see the heat pipes, cold plate, a paste spread.

33 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

That's nice and all. But I meant not installed. So we can see the heat pipes, cold plate, a paste spread.

I took this photo last time I was reinstalling cooler. I hope its enough.

20210118_034205.png