Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to override headphone jack input on a laptop.

I have an Honor MagicBook 15 which has a combo mic/headphone jack. Whenever I plug in my external speakers the built in mic stops working because there's something plugged into the jack and it thinks it's a microphone. How, and can I even override this so that my laptop uses the built in mic even when the speakers are plugged in? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jk15 said:

combo mic/headphone jack

Get a TRRS to TRS - adapter and try with that. The combo-jack is known as TRRS, whereas the non-combo connector, like e.g. the one in your speakers, is TRS.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Get a TRRS to TRS - adapter and try with that. The combo-jack is known as TRRS, whereas the non-combo connector, like e.g. the one in your speakers, is TRS.

I was planning on doing that later but I was wondering if there's a way to do it in software?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jk15 said:

I was planning on doing that later but I was wondering if there's a way to do it in software?

Well, is the built-in microphone available in the list of input-devices when you have speakers plugged in? If not, then it's probably a hardware-switch, not a software-one.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Set the default device in the windows sound control panel.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Well, is the built-in microphone available in the list of input-devices when you have speakers plugged in? If not, then it's probably a hardware-switch, not a software-one.

Well sort of, i can choose between the realtek microphone and the stereo mix which just uses the signal going to the speakers and reads it as a mic input and just loops the sound so maybe it is a hardware switch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×