fix nat type with gaming router?

HummusCake

Im unable to login into my router because the password isnt working so i cant join friends on call of duty zombies. if i buy a router will it start working then since its a whole new router?

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

fastest boot time, 6.5 seconds

2 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

Im unable to login into my router because the password isnt working so i cant join friends on call of duty zombies. if i buy a router will it start working then since its a whole new router?

You should be able to reset the router's settings, including the password. There's usually a small button, possibly recessed in a pinhole, on the back or the bottom that will reset its settings, if you push and hold the button down for 5-10 seconds.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

You should be able to reset the router's settings, including the password. There's usually a small button, possibly recessed in a pinhole, on the back or the bottom that will reset its settings, if you push and hold the button down for 5-10 seconds.

will this turn off the router though? because there are other people living here that wouldnt want me to do that. unless its just resetting settings 

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

6 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

Reset it. Plus to join a game server you don't need port forwarding, you only need port FW if you host a game

will this turn off the router though?

Well, yes, temporarily.

because there are other people living here that wouldnt want me to do that

Then you can't replace the router with another one, either, because that would also cut their connection off temporarily.

If you don't own the router, you don't have the right to go messing with its settings without permission. Also, if other people rely on the same router, I am taking my advice back and replacing it with: leave it alone.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

will this turn off the router though? because there are other people living here that wouldnt want me to do that. unless its just resetting settings 

It will reboot to reset everything back to original settings. meaning any customs changes are lost. If you have changed to Wi-Fi password for example it will go back to the default and other people will lose connection.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Well, yes, temporarily.

Then you can't replace the router with another one, either, because that would also cut their connection off temporarily.

If you don't own the router, you don't have the right to go messing with its settings without permission. Also, if other people rely on the same router, I am taking my advice back and replacing it with: leave it alone.

What i meant was buying a router that i connect my pc to so i can open the NAT type. but if resetting settings involves turning it off then i wont do it. thats all

Just now, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

What i meant was buying a router that i connect my pc to so i can open the NAT type

But the router has to also connect to something. In your case, your network already has a router, so you'd have to connect your new router to the old one and since the NAT is on the old one, you would accomplish nothing.

5 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

What i meant was buying a router that i connect my pc to so i can open the NAT type. but if resetting settings involves turning it off then i wont do it. thats all

In normal home scenarios you typically have only one router/modem per internet connection, you can not have your own

3 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

In normal home scenarios you typically have only one router/modem per internet connection, you can not have your own

isnt that what gaming routers are for, so you have your own connection?

Just now, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

That's not how it works, like I mentioned above. You'd just be extending the connection that you already have, you wouldn't be making a new one.

NO I believe you are a bit confused. Gaming routers are just another name for a router. A sales line, like HD sun glasses and 4K 3D printers lol does not mean much

You don't need to do any port forwarding in order to game online. Outgoing traffic is permitted on all routers unless you configure it otherwise only incoming traffic is filtered.

You only need port fw if you host a game

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

Not totally accurate. If you have access to the network you can setup a second NAT which you configure to only talk to the main router. So technically it is somewhat like a "own" network. In this config everything still goes down if the main router fails

That's all irrelevant for OP's purposes, though.

10 minutes ago, James Evens said:

What is a gaming router?

The run of the mill router has one network for everything and some algorithm to decide which traffic should be prioritized.

Not totally accurate. If you have access to the network you can setup a second NAT which you configure to only talk to the main router. So technically it is somewhat like a "own" network. In this config everything still goes down if the main router fails

90% of the people as not computer literate and just have a router/modem for internet and don't care to configure it or change it, they want internet and don't care how its done. So its fairly accurate

To do multiple NATed networks you would need multiple ethernet ports or VLANs so what you are saying does not apply here, you just had to find something to say

My nat type is strict on modern warfare 3 and on black ops 1 zombies i cant join or invite people. i cant change nat type or do any stuff cause i cant log into my router so i thought getting another router so its like a "own" connection and open nat type. im not good with routers lol

3 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

so i thought getting another router so its like a "own" connection and open nat type.

That would work... if you actually also got yourself your own internet connection. As long as it has to go through the router you can't touch there's nothing else you can do.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

My nat type is strict on modern warfare 3 and on black ops 1 zombies i cant join or invite people. i cant change nat type or do any stuff cause i cant log into my router so i thought getting another router so its like a "own" connection and open nat type. im not good with routers lol

No you can not get your own router. You can only reset the password or ask for the password from someone who knows it.

Even if you had access to the router would you know how to configure it ? I guess not.

Plus as I said above you don't need any router settings to game, you need to configure your router only if you host a game.

7 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

No you can not get your own router. You can only reset the password or ask for the password from someone who knows it.

Even if you had access to the router would you know how to configure it ? I guess not.

Plus as I said above you don't need any router settings to game, you need to configure your router only if you host a game.

i have the password to login into the router, it doesnt work. i can reset the router but that would involve turning it off which i dont want to do

4 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

i have the password to login into the router, it doesnt work. i can reset the router but that would involve turning it off which i dont want to do

You are trying very hard not to understand :P.

If you have the password and it doesn't work then it means that you think you have the password and the password in reality is different and you have the wrong one.

Someone changed it 

16 hours ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

= You don't have password. And from what I'm reading here, you are most likely either minor and the one with router password is your parent/guardian. They might even be the one who have restricted the said game on purpose.

16 hours ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

Just based on this I would have said its firewall issue rather. I also don't think using term "NAT" here is correct, though my knowledge about routers, hubs and switches is rusty (I knew more back in early-00s when we tried to play RuneScape at the same time with my brother). This reminds me of living another city and Uni's apartments. They had master firewall restricting any type of hosting.

So overall, maybe talk with one who pays for the internet and solve your gaming issues with them. We don't help with going around ANY set restrictions. Be it by school, parent or service provider.

-> Moved to Networking

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv