Wow! Computers for Seniors, Wow is it expensive

Michael McChesney

I joined AARP a few months ago.  I am only 53, but I needed a new pair of glasses and the AARP discount was 4 times the annual membership cost.  I got their news paper the other day and it included a full page ad for Wow! Computers for seniors, $200 off!!!.  I was curious and went to their page.  The computer is an all in one with a 22" touch screen.  It was easy to find out it was running a linux distro.  It was also easy to find out the price was $1,099 (reduced from $1,299).  What was hard to find were the specifications.  But I found them.

Screen    21.5" High Definition Touch Panel
Processor    Intel Celeron Quad Core Processor
Memory    2 GB RAM
Hard Drive    32 GB SSD Flash Drive (Additional Cloud Storage Available)
Webcam    Built-in 1.0MP Webcam with Microphone
Input/Output    6 USB Ports, 1 Microphone In, 1 Earphone Out, 10/100/1000 LAN
Wireless    802.11 b/g/n
Speakers    Stereo Speakers with Premium Sound
Input Devices    Keyboard and Mouse Included

Even for a senior citizen, only 2GB of ram and a 32 GB SSD?  A ONE MP webcam?  For $1,099?  I get that they are making a computer that will be easy for elderly non tech people to use.  But at the very least, with everyone locked down and dependent on video calls, they should at least include a better webcam.  My parents and grandparents have passed away so I don't have a family member that would need a PC like this.  But if I did, I am sure I could find (or build) them a much better computer.

That ranks pretty high on the shitty prebuild list.  Shameful marketing, is shameful.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just one more scammy company out to make a buck on non-knownledgeable people...

They're likely supplying hardware gotten for peanuts out of the dumpster/office clearances too.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

35 minutes ago, Michael McChesney said:

I am only 53

Your not a senior yet, wait till you reach 65-70 then your a senior.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

All in One computer are alright starter computers but that price is too high. That computer shouldn't cost more than half that. 

4 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Your not a senior yet, wait till you reach 65-70 then your a senior.

I am not a senior citizen, but I am a retired person.  A very considerate sanitation driver was kind enough to rear end my car while I was stopped at a red light.  My car was totaled and my back was messed up.  Surgery didn't fix it so I got to retire on disability.  The City of New York spent about 5 years arguing the accident was my fault but eventually settled.  So now I just sit at home watching LTT videos.  At least I don't have a mortgage.

46 minutes ago, Michael McChesney said:

The City of New York spent about 5 years arguing the accident was my fault but eventually settled.

Not surprised by this, I am glad you won though and are doing ok. I feel you on the back issues, I suffer as well, not to the degree you do probably but understand.

I dont recommend the AARP to any one though, it's not what it used to be. I get their mail constantly and I am only 39, why? who knows. I do know they are losing membership for their continued increase in supporting and promoted crappy stuff.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 1/17/2021 at 2:47 PM, Michael McChesney said:

robbaly like a dell mini computer or soemthing

On 1/17/2021 at 4:16 PM, Ar558a said:

They are probably making that for about $300...  heck yeah they might