Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a Dell XPS15 with a M.2 and a SATA SSD. I was under the impression that if I installed separate OS's on each of the drives (Windows and Linux), then I could boot off of whichever one I wanted whenever I needed. I got it working twice without issues, but after a couple of days it will not detect the Windows M.2 SSD as bootable media. Why is this the case?

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

Are you using grub or just the boot drive menu? Did you update windows? What distribution did you install?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work?Asus PB287Q unboxing!Console alternatives :DWatch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Try installing Windows on 2.5" SSD, Linux on M.2.聽 Boot order -- Widows first.

Make sure Linux has ntfs-3g installed (to recognize Winfdows files)

As Sauron asks, which boot loader is in use?

Always install Linux last in a dual-boot.

46 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Are you using grub or just the boot drive menu? Did you update windows? What distribution did you install?

I was booting off of each drive with the one-time boot menu with F12. I'm pretty sure windows completely up to date both times. I used Fedora.

29 minutes ago, TorC said:

Check out my HTPC build.

Anaconda is a different ballgame, as far as booting goes.聽

Look at etc/fstab file and double-check the UUIDs for correctness, if applicable.聽

Otherwise, look into Anaconda

6 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

I was booting off of each drive with the one-time boot menu with F12. I'm pretty sure windows completely up to date both times. I used Fedora.

It's not about whether windows was up to date, it's about whether you updated it after installing Linux. Sometimes windows update breaks things.

Try taking out the sata SSD and see if the computer boots

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work?Asus PB287Q unboxing!Console alternatives :DWatch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's not about whether windows was up to date, it's about whether you updated it after installing Linux. Sometimes windows update breaks things.

Try taking out the sata SSD and see if the computer boots

I'm pretty sure I didn't update it unless if it did it in the background when I closed it. I took out the Linux SATA SSD and it doesn't boot.

Check out my HTPC build.

Just now, Stevoisboss said:

I'm pretty sure I didn't update it unless if it did it in the background when I closed it. I took out the Linux SATA SSD and it doesn't boot.

then I'm afraid you somehow broke the Windows installation... or maybe the drive itself failed. check the drive's health in Linux, if it's fine then try reinstalling windows (backup any files you want to keep in Linux)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

then I'm afraid you somehow broke the Windows installation... or maybe the drive itself failed. check the drive's health in Linux, if it's fine then try reinstalling windows (backup any files you want to keep in Linux)

A couple days ago I checked the M.2 windows SSD on my main pc with CrystalDiskInfo and everything seemed fine. I already have all my stuff backed up to my NAS. I'll try installing Linux on the M.2 SSD and Windows on the SATA like @TorCsaid and see if it corrupts again.

Check out my HTPC build.

17 hours ago, Sauron said:

18 hours ago, TorC said:

Ok so I installed Windows successfully on the SATA drive but I could not successfully boot off of the original M.2 drive that I installed Fedora on. So this would obviously point to a m.2 ssd issue. I had a spare m.2 SSD (this one is non NVME vs the original) that I used and I was able to dual boot sucessfully.

As far as I can tell the readings from smartctl on the Fedora Live CD pointed to the original NVME M.2 SSD still being good however. So I'm not sure weather it is bad or not.

Spoiler

1910357759_Screenshotfrom2021-01-1718-48-10.png.2a736e255fc03d109a2a336f349b591c.png

146247363_Screenshotfrom2021-01-1718-48-43.png.661d09324c7bbb8e68d0d32c7fdf09ad.png

Check out my HTPC build.

6 hours ago, Stevoisboss said:

As far as I can tell the readings from smartctl on the Fedora Live CD pointed to the original NVME M.2 SSD still being good however. So I'm not sure weather it is bad or not.

perhaps you changed some setting in the BIOS that disabled booting from nvme...?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Sauron said:

perhaps you changed some setting in the BIOS that disabled booting from nvme...?

I tried installing Fedora on the NVME M.2 drive twice with the Windows SATA drive plugged in and it would not boot. I took out the Windows SATA drive and it would not boot. I reinstalled Fedora on the NVME M.2 drive without the SATA drive plugged in and it booted successfully.

So it seems the NVME drive has some confict with the SATA drive.

I was able to boot Fedora successfully from the non-NVME M.2 drive with the Windows SATA drive plugged in.

Check out my HTPC build.